Listening Post: Mayer Hawthorne Covers Lorde

At this point, Royals is such a huge song -- it's basically what Gnarls Barkley's Crazy was for 2006 -- that I wouldn't be surprised if you see more unusual covers of it turning up from a lot of varied artists over the next few months.
Avatar:
Chez Pazienza
At this point, Royals is such a huge song -- it's basically what Gnarls Barkley's Crazy was for 2006 -- that I wouldn't be surprised if you see more unusual covers of it turning up from a lot of varied artists over the next few months.
Screen Shot 2013-10-07 at 9.21.00 AM

Lorde

Mayer Hawthorne's Her Favorite Song is hands-down one of the best tracks of the year. 16-year-old Lorde's Royals might very well be the best track of the year. With that in mind, it's fun to watch the two sides come together as Hawthorne does his best blue-eyed-soul thing to Royals in a live-in-studio performance.

At this point, Royals is such a huge song -- it's basically what Gnarls Barkley's Crazy was for 2006 -- that I wouldn't be surprised if you see more unusual covers of it turning up from a lot of varied artists over the next few months.

But for now, there's this: Mayer Hawthorne's version of Royals.

And, in case you're one of the maybe ten people in the country who haven't heard it yet, here's the original track.