Just Fucking Google It: Terry Richardson Edition

Who the fuck is Terry Richardson? We didn't know, so we asked google. Here's our hot off the press, exclusive interview with the interwebs.
Who the fuck is Terry Richardson? We didn't know, so we asked google. Here's our hot off the press, exclusive interview with the interwebs.
rihanna-by-terry-richardson-8

I just discovered my new favorite esoteric online acronyms: JFGI, which I learned recently stood for "Just Fucking Google It," a phrase dripping with such snark that I could melt.

action-bronson-terry-richardson-5

So, after objectively looking at the recent Miley Cyrus pictures, when I wanted to know more about this Terry Richardson character, I decided to take my new pet acronym's advice and just fucking Google him.

What follows are The Internet's answers to my questions about Terry Richardson:

Bryce: So who is Terry Richardson?

Internet: "Terrence "Terry" Richardson (born August 14, 1965) is an American fashion and portrait photographer."

Bryce: Ok, I already knew he was a photographer, but 1965? I didn't realize he was that old. I bet he has that sense of world-traveled class that comes from a well-lived life though; just a really handsome, elegant dude, right?

The Internet: "He looks like this:"

Terry Richardson Classic-8520

Bryce: Wow. I guess he's just really talented then. Is he brilliant at choreographing a scene and finding the perfect lighting to capture it?

The Internet: "Richardson arrives on location with a couple of instant cameras, one in each hand, and nothing else. He doesn't design the lighting, doesn't plan his shoots, forgoes Polaroids, and never choreographs poses."

Bryce: Ok, the DIY thing, I can get down with that. So what are his photos like?

The Internet: "Richardson is famous for is provocative and confrontational: a close-up of Richardson performing cunnilingus; a nude portrait of a bruised young woman crying on his bed; a close-up crotch shot of a woman wearing pink polyester underpants. One of his early assignments, a startling advertising campaign for the British designer Katherine Hamnett, captured a young woman staring at the camera with a frank, unashamed look. Her legs are open, showing a profusion of pubic hair."

Bryce: Sex is art; art is sex. I know this story. Besides him being a little too old and creepy-looking to be obsessed with taking pictures of young girls in sexual positions, what's the big deal?

The Internet: "Bisexual beauty Rasmussen — a vocal advocate of women’s rights — told Richardson she believes he abuses his power to put young girls into compromising positions...'He takes girls who are young, manipulates them to take their clothes off and takes pictures of them that they will be ashamed of. They are too afraid to say no because their agency booked them on the job and are too young to stand up for themselves.

“His ‘look’ is girls who appear underage, abused, look like heroin addicts…I don’t understand how anyone works with him.'"

Bryce: Yikes… I mean, I'm sure there are two sides to every story. It's not like he's admitting that inappropriate things go on, right?

The Internet:He has recounted how his photoshoots can end up with consenting models performing sex acts on him – moments his assistants have captured to share with the world at exhibitions such as his "Terryworld" show in Manhattan five years ago. "I don't like to exploit anybody. That's not my bag. Everyone has fun on my shoots," he told one interviewer when promoting that show.

Bryce: You're really not doing a good job of selling me on him, Internet. And "not his bag"? Is he trying to be Austin Powers? Does he have any defense for his actions?

The Internet: "'It's about creating a vibe, getting people relaxed and excited. When that happens you can do anything,' he said.'My rule is that I'd never ask anyone to do anything I wouldn't do myself.'"

Bryce: Spoken like a true gentleman. But I'm sure at least no one is rewarding this kind of thing, right?

The Internet: Richardson has produced several campaigns for Diesel, including the ‘Global Warming Ready’ which won a Silver Lion for Print at Cannes Lions International Advertising Festival in 2007.

Bryce: Ugh whatever. I used to be in advertising and my old boss had a saying that it was only behind politics as the dirtiest industry out there. No one respectable endorses this, right?

The Internet: "Obama at my studio… GO VOTE!"

Bryce: Oh Jesus Christ. How did we let this Instragramming pervert become so successful?

The Internet: Ask Jeeves...