"I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds": The "Godzilla" Trailer is Finally Here

Let's just forget Roland Emmerich's relentlessly silly 1998 version of Godzilla, shall we? With that well behind us, it was only a matter of time before the big guy from Japan got a fitting reboot, and if this just-released trailer is any indication the 2014 update should do nicely.
Avatar:
Chez Pazienza
Let's just forget Roland Emmerich's relentlessly silly 1998 version of Godzilla, shall we? With that well behind us, it was only a matter of time before the big guy from Japan got a fitting reboot, and if this just-released trailer is any indication the 2014 update should do nicely.
Screen Shot 2013-10-04 at 11.44.17 AM

Screen Shot 2013-10-04 at 11.42.24 AM

Let's just forget Roland Emmerich's relentlessly silly 1998 version of Godzilla, shall we? With that well behind us, it was only a matter of time before the big guy from Japan got a fitting reboot, and if this just-released trailer is any indication the 2014 update should do nicely.

Starring Ken Watanabe, Aaron Taylor-Johnson, Elizabeth Olsen and Bryan Cranston, the new Godzilla promises to remain as faithful to Toho's original iconic creation as possible, but with the expected light-years jump in visual effects.

Yeah, if this summer's box office was something to go by, maybe the public is worn out when it comes to giant things destroying cities -- but come on, this is Godzilla

Take a look.

Update: Warner Bros. has requested that everyone take down the trailer so it's just about gone at this point. Suffice it to say, if you managed to get a glimpse of it you saw something pretty impressive. While it's never a good idea to trust a trailer anymore, what I liked about this one was that rather than going for the action, heroism, hope and heartbreak, uplifting speeches about "canceling the apocalypse" and that kind of thing, it was ominous and terrifying -- exactly the way I'd imagine a 40-story-tall monster would be. Of course, again, the trailer for Battle: Los Angeles was wonderfully eerie and evocative and that movie was mindless dogshit.