Glenn Greenwald Leaving The Guardian to Launch His Own News Outlet

Buzzfeed's Ben Smith reported today that Glenn Greenwald is leaving The Guardian to launch his own "large-scale, broadly-focused media outlet."
Buzzfeed's Ben Smith reported today that Glenn Greenwald is leaving The Guardian to launch his own "large-scale, broadly-focused media outlet."
greenwald_lying_nsa

Buzzfeed's Ben Smith reported today that Glenn Greenwald is leaving The Guardian to launch his own "large-scale, broadly-focused media outlet." The ironic part? Someone leaked the story to Buzzfeed. I'm not making that up.

“My partnership with the Guardian has been extremely fruitful and fulfilling: I have high regard for the editors and journalists with whom I worked and am incredibly proud of what we achieved,” Greenwald said in an emailed statement. “The decision to leave was not an easy one, but I was presented with a once-in-a-career dream journalistic opportunity that no journalist could possibly decline.”

There will be headquarters in Rio, Washington, DC, San Francisco and New York City, Buzzfeed reports. Greenwald has also hired a staff.

So, finally, Greenwald has been liberated from the bondage of the unwritten rules of journalism, and can now pursue his pet issues without worrying about journalistic integrity, vetting, accuracy -- nonsense like that. Greenwald told Buzzfeed there will be "no preexisting institutional strictures on what you can do." Of course not. Because who needs pesky rules getting in the way of wildly speculative, agenda-driven news reporting.

Seriously, I think we can expect an ongoing train-wreck of shoddy, ends-justifying-the-means reporting, heavily slanted toward Greenwald's personal, vindictive agenda -- articles rushed to press -- and the further blurring of the line between hacking and journalism.

And now that the cat's out of the bag, I'm free to announce that I'll be leaving The Daily Banter to start my new job as Greenwald's Managing Editor.

Kidding. Obviously.