Discussion Thread: Are These Really the 25 Best Horror Movies Since "The Shining?"

Today in New York magazine's Vulture section, critics David Edelstein and Bilge Ebiri count down what they've decided are the 25 best horror movies since The Shining, which was released in 1980. It's a really entertaining list and one sure to cause a hell of a lot of debate, especially when it comes to their choice for #1.
Avatar:
Chez Pazienza
Today in New York magazine's Vulture section, critics David Edelstein and Bilge Ebiri count down what they've decided are the 25 best horror movies since The Shining, which was released in 1980. It's a really entertaining list and one sure to cause a hell of a lot of debate, especially when it comes to their choice for #1.
Screen Shot 2013-10-29 at 7.48.39 PM

bloody_axe_by_skeygeta-2duojw6

It's almost Halloween, which means two things:

1. Idiots dressing in all manner of inadvisable costumes and quickly becoming internet pariahs. (Hopefully more on that phenomenon tomorrow, given that I got almost all the way to the end of a piece I'd written on it for today only to have my computer die and Wordpress malfunction and, in short, I lost it all.)

2. Watching horror movies.

Today in New York magazine's Vulture section, critics David Edelstein and Bilge Ebiri count down what they've decided are the 25 best horror movies since The Shining, which was released in 1980. It's a really entertaining list and one sure to cause a hell of a lot of debate, especially when it comes to their choice for #1.

Find out which films they describe like this:

"I loathe (this) film as much as anything I’ve ever seen... My advice is sincere: Don’t see this."

"Every other scene with the family in this film is like a Folgers Coffee ad gone horribly wrong."

"The ruthlessness of the film's opening scenes set us up for the fact that anything can happen, and strips us of any agency we might have as viewers. There's no safe word here."

"If there’s one thing to be gleaned from (this film), it’s that our cinema’s most celebrated auteurs need to make more marauding-giant-monster movies.

"It’s quite possibly the gnarliest movie on this list, part dystopian video age manifesto, part nightmarish gross-out mindfuck."

"(It's) as if the movie has placed me in a terrifying and unfamiliar place and pretty much left me there. It’s the horror movie equivalent of a complete mental breakdown."

"Does (this) stunning cult debut even count as a horror movie? Yes, especially if you ignore the literal-minded, sci-fi director’s cut (which is disastrous, and ruins much of the movie’s elegant narrative).

"It’s one of the most moving horror films you’ll ever see."

"My wife has never forgiven me for showing this to her."

And, well:

"I have a good friend who thinks that every movie should end with Gwyneth Paltrow’s head in a box."

Go take a look, then come back and tell us what you agreed with and didn't -- I have some pretty strong opinions on what they included and what they left out -- and more importantly, what you feel are the best horror films of the last thirty-three years or really any time.

Get Bantering, kids.