Dear America, WTF Are You Doing?

You gave the world Jazz, Rock n Roll, and Jimi Hendrix. You created the environmental movement, pioneered women's rights and sent a man to the moon. If we're being honest, you basically won World War II and saved the world from the Nazis. You guys do some really cool shit a lot of the time. But WTF is going on with your government right now?
You gave the world Jazz, Rock n Roll, and Jimi Hendrix. You created the environmental movement, pioneered women's rights and sent a man to the moon. If we're being honest, you basically won World War II and saved the world from the Nazis. You guys do some really cool shit a lot of the time. But WTF is going on with your government right now?
head bang

banging_head_on_keyboard

Dear America,

I love you guys, I really do. You gave the world Jazz, Rock n Roll, and Jimi Hendrix. You created the environmental movement, pioneered women's rights and sent a man to the moon. You just elected the first black man in the history of Western democracy to run your country, and if we're being honest, you basically won World War II and saved the world from the Nazis.

You guys do some really cool shit a lot of the time.

But WTF is going on with your government right now?   Your President seems like a pretty reasonable guy who wants to get things like affordable health care to people, protect the environment a bit and make sure people have jobs. Other than the drone stuff (and possibly Syria) he also seems to want to get the US out of the Middle East and stop having unnecessary wars you can't afford. Not perfect, but not too bad given the last guy you elected.

Sadly, your country has been hijacked by a cabal of extremists made up almost entirely of idiots and for some reason, you are putting up with it. These guys are determined to shut your country down over getting health care to poor people and it doesn't seem like there is any way to stop them.

To repeat, Republicans are shutting down the government in order to prevent Americans from getting affordable health care.

In no other industrialized country on the planet would this be possible. For starters, the media would destroy any political party that tried to do the above, making them irrelevant at the national level. I'm from England, and we simply don't have mainstream politicians like Michele Bachmann, Sarah Palin, or Ted Cruz. They would be laughed out of the country upon speaking in public. That might make us snobby assholes, but sometimes looking down on idiots is quite useful, particularly when it comes to people running the fucking country. Secondly, when a political party is engaged in extreme acts that harm its sovereign nation, there's a word most people around the world use to describe it: Treason.

What's next inline for the quarterly Tea Party Temper Tantrum? Public education? Sanitation? Public transport? Are they going to shut the government down over maintaining highways? What do these guys have to do in order for the public to put a stop to it?

I know this might sound a little radical, but shouldn't you let your President actually lead the country? After all, he kind of is the President.

Anyway, sorry for the rant. I do really like you all - it's just a bit frustrating sometimes.

Thanks very much,

Ben

Make sure to like The Daily Banter on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!