Anthony Hopkins Writes Letter to Breaking Bad Star Saying Performance Was "The Best Acting I Have Seen – Ever"

If Anthony Hopkins calls your performance "the best acting I have seen – ever", you know you've done something right. Check out Hopkins's amazing letter to 'Breaking Bad' star Bryan Cranston - a testament to the brilliance of the television series that may go down as the best ever written.
If Anthony Hopkins calls your performance "the best acting I have seen – ever", you know you've done something right. Check out Hopkins's amazing letter to 'Breaking Bad' star Bryan Cranston - a testament to the brilliance of the television series that may go down as the best ever written.
Breaking Bad

walter_white_breaking_bad

'Breaking Bad' wasn't just great television - it was historic television - the type of epic story telling that will be studied for hundreds of years to come. The nail biting drama and tense action were done as well as any Hollywood block buster, but the astonishing acting and story arcs set the series apart, making it a breathtaking piece of art that only comes around once or twice a generation. And if you think I'm being overly effusive, check out what Anthony Hopkins had to say about the series. Actor Steven Michael Quezada, who played Hank's partner, Steven Gomez in 'Breaking Bad' published yesterday an email sent by Hopkins to the show's star, Bryan Cranston (Walter White) after a marathon watching session of the series. Coming from one of the finest actors around, Cranston and the rest of the team on the show should be mightily (and deservedly) pleased with themselves:

Dear Mister Cranston.

I wanted to write you this email – so I am contacting you through Jeremy Barber – I take it we are both represented by UTA . Great agency.

I’ve just finished a marathon of watching "BREAKING BAD" – from episode one of the First Season – to the last eight episodes of the Sixth Season. (I downloaded the last season on AMAZON) A total of two weeks (addictive) viewing.

I have never watched anything like it. Brilliant!

Your performance as Walter White was the best acting I have seen – ever.

I know there is so much smoke blowing and sickening bullshit in this business, and I’ve sort of lost belief in anything really.

But this work of yours is spectacular – absolutely stunning. What is extraordinary, is the sheer power of everyone in the entire production. What was it? Five or six years in the making? How the producers (yourself being one of them), the writers, directors, cinematographers…. every department – casting etc. managed to keep the discipline and control from beginning to the end is (that over used word) awesome.

From what started as a black comedy, descended into a labyrinth of blood, destruction and hell. It was like a great Jacobean, Shakespearian or Greek Tragedy.

If you ever get a chance to – would you pass on my admiration to everyone – Anna Gunn, Dean Norris, Aaron Paul, Betsy Brandt, R.J. Mitte, Bob Odenkirk, Jonathan Banks, Steven Michael Quezada – everyone – everyone gave master classes of performance … The list is endless.

Thank you. That kind of work/artistry is rare, and when, once in a while, it occurs, as in this epic work, it restores confidence.

You and all the cast are the best actors I’ve ever seen.

That may sound like a good lung full of smoke blowing. But it is not. It’s almost midnight out here in Malibu, and I felt compelled to write this email.

Congratulations and my deepest respect. You are truly a great, great actor.

Best regards

Tony Hopkins.

(h/t The Verge)