Write On

August was a really slow month around here -- no doubt about it. I can blame being overworked and spending the rest of my time with my daughter, who's now back in Dallas, but it's just as easy to go ahead and blame what's traditionally a slow news month. So, what's September going to look like? Well, I'm not sure how much better it's going to get. Here's the thing: My schedule is changing in a way I haven't experienced since beginning this little experiment of mine more than seven years ago. When I first started, all I wanted to do was write for a living; that's actually one of the main reasons why I started DXM. As it turns out, that dream has now come true to some extent: I'm getting paid to write for the Daily Banter. It's a tough gig because, as I've related here a couple of times, I crank out so much copy so quickly during the week that it often leaves me wondering whether I believe half of what I write anymore and stressing over the quality of the milk this cow is constantly giving. But I'm still being paid to write and I still, I hope, write stuff that people think is worth reading. The impact it's had on this site can't really be overstated, but now that impact is going to get even more pronounced because big changes are coming to Banter in the form of a more powerful and interactive Gawker-like site, so says Banter overlord Ben Cohen. And he's drafted me to contribute more material for it, which means that I'll be writing for the Daily Banter in just about a full-time capacity. This doesn't mean that I'm shuttering DXM because this is still my internet home and you know how seriously I take it and how protective I am of it. I'll need this place to air the thoughts that just won't fly over at Banter or anywhere else, the personal things that I can only say in my own house. But yes, content around here may suffer until I figure out how to balance everything I'm doing. I'll probably set up links to my Banter nonsense here as well as cranking out a piece here and there that's exclusive to DXM, but right now I just don't know how it's all going to play out. What I'm not going to do is hand the site over the someone else. God bless Cesca for having Ashby to basically run his own site for him but that's just not my thing. If I'm not here, nobody's gonna be here in my place. Anyway, just a tiny update from the management. I'm not disappearing or anything, just making yet another transition. A good one this time.
Avatar:
Chez Pazienza
[...]

/the-writer2.jpeg