The Morning Banter: Weiner Flips The Bird, the NSA = The Starship Enterprise, Dr Who's 50th Anniversary + More

keith_alexander-620x412

On this day may we never forget our fallen comrades and all those who fought bravely for freedom and for human decency.  As a New Yorker, I can honestly say that twelve years ago I was pretty certain the world was coming to an end.  While that fear has settled in the wake of strong leadership and human kindness, it's certainly something I don't ever want to experience again.  So how about we get on with the news, yeah?

Here's the good, the bad, and the just plain beautiful to kickstart your day.

slide_311748_2774990_free

In a stunning display of good sportsmanship, former NYC Mayoral Candidate Anthony Weiner flips the bird to a news reporter while leaving the location of his concession speech.  It should be noted that his wife was absent from said speech as well.  And here I was, waiting for a Carlos Danger striptease.  (I'm kidding)

176739294.jpg.CROP.rectangle3-large

Sure you may drive a lime green Prius (cough,Ben Cohen, cough) but does that make you environmentally friendly?  A new study shows that certain airlines are far more pro-environment with their fuel efficency than others (and you'll be surprised which ones they are).

migaloo1

"Too weird to live, too rare to die" are the words that come to mind after gazing at these photos of Migaloo, a beautiful albino humpback whale. There's video too of a chance encounter with the whale from aboard a tiny vessel, which obviously could have ended poorly, but thankfully was more of a peaceful "drop by" than anything.  It's all stunning.

keith_alexander-620x412

In case getting to commit hundreds, if not thousands of legal rights violations isn't something to be envious over, it's now come to light that the NSA Intelligence Center was modeled after the Starship Enterprise.   Man, I'm willing to listen to people's boring phone conversations if that means I get a red shirt too.

Day-of-the-Doctor

Finally the moment most of us nerds have been waiting for -- the poster  for the 75-minute Doctor Who 50th Anniversary special has been released.  The episode, entitled "The Day of the Doctor" will air on November 23, 2013 on the BBC and torrent sites everywhere.