The Morning Banter: Summers Out, Twitter Racists, and the Return of the 90s

Another work week is here, which means that it's time to figure out how to pass the day without actually doing any work. Let's see if we can help by giving you a few things to read this morning.
Avatar:
Chez Pazienza
Another work week is here, which means that it's time to figure out how to pass the day without actually doing any work. Let's see if we can help by giving you a few things to read this morning.
Screen Shot 2013-09-16 at 3.33.12 AM

Screen Shot 2013-09-16 at 3.27.07 AM

Another work week is here, which means that it's time to figure out how to pass the day without actually doing any work. Let's see if we can help by giving you a few things to read this morning:

1. Summers' End

Thanks to a swift and furious backlash to his name even being mentioned in the same breath as the words "Fed chair," Larry Summers has taken himself out of the running as a possible successor to Ben Bernanke. This could open the door for Janet Yellan. Ron Paul is having a teeny, tiny leprechaun tantrum either way.

Business Insider: Okay, Mr. President, Now Nominate Janet Yellan Already/9.15.13

2. And the Losers Are...

If you're reading this, from year to year you probably have no idea who the hell the current Miss America is. Well, last night, Miss New York was crowned. She's of Indian descent. Needless to say, the conservative racist wing of Twitter is less than pleased because, well, this is America dammit and we can't let the terrorists win -- or something.

Buzzfeed: A Lot Of People Are Very Upset That An Indian-American Woman Won The Miss America Pageant/9.15.13

3. The Ex-Files

It was literally and figuratively only a matter of time before we hit our 90s nostalgia period. I guess this means I'll have to get back on drugs.

The Huffington Post: 5 Longreads That Will Make You Nostalgic For The '90s/9.13.13

4. Fade Back Into You

Proof the 90s are back, I suppose: The first Mazzy Star record in 17 years is about to be released and you can now stream it in all its lovely, languid glory.

NPR: First Listen: Mazzy Star, 'Seasons Of Your Day'/9.15.13

5. Strip Tee'd

Today's "Most Likely To Be Cross-Posted at Salon" piece comes to us courtesy of Entertainment Weekly, which bemoans the supposedly new Hollywood trend of getting older, well-established actresses to play strippers or to simply strip in some fashion onscreen.

EW: Pole-Dancing with the Stars/9.14.13

Have a good day, kids.