Shooting Rampage in Chicago: 13 Shot Including 3 Year Old Boy

Last night, thirteen people, including a 3-year-old boy, were shot in a park on Chicago's South Side. The shootings reportedly occurred at a basketball court in Cornell Square Park.
Last night, thirteen people, including a 3-year-old boy, were shot in a park on Chicago's South Side. The shootings reportedly occurred at a basketball court in Cornell Square Park.
chi-photos-3yearold-deonta-howard-20130

3 year old Deonta Howard shot in the attack

Last night, thirteen people, including a 3-year-old boy, were shot in a park on Chicago's South Side. The shootings reportedly occurred at a basketball court in Cornell Square Park. Reports the Chicago Tribune:

Witnesses told police a gray sedan pulled up to the park around 10:15 p.m. and two people opened fire in the 1800 block of West 51st Street. Thirteen people who were on the court or were watching the pick-up game were hit by gunfire, many of them in the arms or legs.

The boy was standing on the court and was shot near the ear, the bullet exiting through his cheek, according to police and relatives. His family said the boy is expected to recover but will need plastic surgery.

Three of those wounded, including the boy, were in serious to critical condition this morning. The others ranged from serious to good condition, including a 15-year-old boy and a 17-year-old girl.

"I think it was like an AK," said one neighbor. "Man, it was a lot of shots. Man, boom, boom, boom, boom, boom. A little boy got hit in the face."

Another neighbor said he heard as many as 20 shots. "I was across the park and I heard the shots and I came over and there was a lot of people down. It happened so fast. They were just playing ball, like they do everyday."

The first paramedics found more than a dozen people lying across the rust-colored court. One person lay near a bicycle that was on its side. A pair of white gym shoes were left near an out-of-bounds line.

Ambulances continued to arrive a half hour after the shootings as wounded people were brought out of the park on stretchers. About 60 police officers converged on the park and crime lab investigators combed the scene.

The Tribune was on the scene and spoke to the family of those injured in the attack:

The mass shooting is the second this week in America. On Monday,  Aaron Alexis killed 13 people in a frenzied assault at the Naval Sea Systems Command headquarters in south-east Washington DC.