Quote of the Day: The GOP Minority Outreach Program Is Going Swimmingly

Sure, Pat Hickey's a nobody from Nevada, but you'd think he'd appreciate that these days when he speaks publicly in any forum, let alone on the air, he's not just talking to the people inside the epistemic bubble.
Avatar:
Chez Pazienza
Sure, Pat Hickey's a nobody from Nevada, but you'd think he'd appreciate that these days when he speaks publicly in any forum, let alone on the air, he's not just talking to the people inside the epistemic bubble.
Screen Shot 2013-09-26 at 10.47.00 AM

Screen Shot 2013-09-26 at 10.41.18 AM

"We have some real opportunities in 2014. This is a great year in an off-presidential election. Seemingly no Democrat on the top of the ticket against (Gov. Brian) Sandoval. No Harry Reid. Probably where we had a million voters turn out in 2012, we'll have like 700,000. A lot of minorities, a lot of younger people will not turn out in a non-presidential. It's a great year for Republicans."

-- Nevada State Assembly Minority Leader Pat Hickey during an interview on conservative radio

You know how the worst kinds of cliché movie villains are the ones who pompously run down every detail of their evil plans to the hero, thinking that the guy's about to be killed anyway in a few minutes so what the hell? Well, I want you to imagine how dumb a villain like that would be if the hero were holding a live microphone or videocamera in front of his face while he described what he was about to do to destroy the world. That's how dumb some members of the Republican party are these days.

Sure, Pat Hickey's a nobody from Nevada, but you'd think he'd appreciate that in the age of social media when he speaks publicly in any forum, let alone on the air, he's not just talking to the people inside the epistemic bubble. The people inside the bubble may not be able -- or at least willing -- to hear anything that goes on outside but plenty of people are listening to what happens in crazy-land, because it has the potential to impact politics on a national scale. What Hickey's admitting to shouldn't surprise anyone, but it should spell out nicely what's at stake in 2014 and why it's so important that the rising demographics in this country -- the ones that keep guys like Hickey awake at night in a cold sweat -- don't sit this one out.

If you give the GOP enough rope, someone from their ranks will always hang himself by coming right out and saying that voter ID laws are a good way to disenfranchise minorities or, as Hickey basically said, that the more old white people can dominate the ballot boxes the better it'll be for Republicans.

These assholes have spelled it out for everyone in no uncertain terms. The only question now is whether we'll prove them right next year.