Listening Post: London Grammar

London Grammar's newly released debut album is likely to end up being one of my favorite records of the year, and it's because of stunning tracks like this one.
Avatar:
Chez Pazienza
London Grammar's newly released debut album is likely to end up being one of my favorite records of the year, and it's because of stunning tracks like this one.
Screen Shot 2013-09-11 at 10.32.22 PM

London_Grammar_2

In a recent review, someone referred to London Grammar as "a sexless version of the xx." It's a clever thing to say and comparisons between the two bands are inevitable given that the xx has been riding a wave of both sensual minimalism and the success it's garnered from that sound for the past couple of years, and London Grammar would at first glance appear to be exploring the same sonic territory. But it's a little unfair: the xx are all post-coital chill, whereas London Grammar and their frontwoman, Hannah Reid, wear their hearts on their sleeves and the result is something undeniably warm and often achingly beautiful.

Their newly released debut album is likely to end up being one of my favorite records of the year, and it's because of stunning tracks like this one.

Here's Strong.