Listening Post: Flesh for Lulu

Flesh for Lulu are one of those underappreciated bands from the 80s that did so much more beyond the one or two big hits they managed to score. I guess every decade churns out bands like that but for some reason the 80s seems to have been rife with them: acts that were doomed to be remembered as one-hit-wonders despite a vibrant catalog of great material that even nostalgia would leave undiscovered.
Avatar:
Chez Pazienza
Flesh for Lulu are one of those underappreciated bands from the 80s that did so much more beyond the one or two big hits they managed to score. I guess every decade churns out bands like that but for some reason the 80s seems to have been rife with them: acts that were doomed to be remembered as one-hit-wonders despite a vibrant catalog of great material that even nostalgia would leave undiscovered.
Screen Shot 2013-09-26 at 8.53.39 AM

Screen Shot 2013-09-26 at 8.52.01 AM

Flesh for Lulu are one of those criminally underappreciated bands from the 80s that did so much more beyond the one or two big hits they managed to score. I guess every decade churns out bands like that but for some reason the 80s seems to have been rife with them: acts that were doomed to be remembered as one-hit-wonders despite a vibrant catalog of great material that even nostalgia would leave undiscovered.

In the case of Flesh for Lulu, everybody who came up in the 80s remembers I Go Crazy, and with good reason since it was an almost perfect pop song. But that was both preceded and followed-up by a ton of powerful singles and B-sides, collected on the Beggars Banquet label which was the Brit-goth/punk home to bands like Bauhaus and Fields of the Nephilim and which eventually included 4AD Records.

Here's one of those singles, the first released from the band's 1989 album Plastic Fantastic. Written in the wake of the success of Less Than Zero, this is one of my favorite songs in general and certainly one of my favorite songs about life in my city, L.A.

Here's Decline and Fall.