The Daily Banter Mail Bag: GOP Brinksmanship, Gun Control and Dangerous Americans!

In this week's edition of The Daily Banter Mail Bag, Ben, Bob, and Chez discuss brinksmanship on the debt ceiling again; what to do about gun control; and the most dangerous person in America.
In this week's edition of The Daily Banter Mail Bag, Ben, Bob, and Chez discuss brinksmanship on the debt ceiling again; what to do about gun control; and the most dangerous person in America.
scalia_mail_bag_280

scalia_mail_bag

In this week's edition of The Daily Banter Mail Bag, Ben, Bob, and Chez discuss brinksmanship on the debt ceiling again; what to do about gun control; and the most dangerous person in America.

The questions:

1. I know it's useless to ask but given all the polls that point to Americans blaming the Republicans if they shut down the government over Obamacare WHY ARE THEY STILL THREATENING IT???

-- ST

Ben: Because they are nihilists, or at least controlled by nihilists. It has become mandatory to oppose anything Obama does within the Republican party that they are now all afraid to step out of line. If Obama wanted to reinstate every policy the Reagan administration enacted, they would still label him a radical communist.  The GOP is completely content to take the economy down if it means they are being seen to disagree with Obama, regardless of whether it hurts their own electoral ambitions. I've never seen or heard of anything like this before. It's absolutely fucking insane.

Chez: Because they're insane. Actually, most aren't insane -- they're simply beholden to insane people. They serve at the whim of a vocal crop of idiot yokels who hate Barack Obama with the white-hot fire of a supernova and who put them in office and will keep them there as long as they refuse to give the secret Muslim negro anti-Christ an inch.

Bob: Nationally, the polls blame the Republicans. But state-by-state and district-by-district, it doesn't play out the same way. Within individual constituencies, the GOP has fooled a lot of people into believing the debt ceiling is something to be monkeyed with.

2. Another week another mass shooting. What do you think needs to be done to finally bring not just empty discussion but real action to the gun crisis in this country?

-- Tracy

Chez: Nothing. Just, nothing. If a classroom full of dead children couldn't do it I can't imagine anything that might. At this point, barring somebody going on a shooting rampage inside NRA headquarters, I'm out of ideas.

Bob: There's one huge thing that can be done -- work your ass off so the Democratic Party wins back the House of Representatives and increases its majority in the Senate. With the Republicans out of power, it will increase the odds of passing serious gun control legislation. It won't be a slam dunk, but there will be a better shot at passing all sorts of things the Republicans have been blocking since 2010.

Ben: I'm sort of at my wits end on this topic. I'm sure some massive grass roots movement could affect some sort of change, but given the NRA and all the other gun advocates in the country will fight tooth and nail to maintain the status quo, I don't see anything significant happening. I wish I had something positive to say, but I don't.

3. Who's the most dangerous person in America right now?

-- Lisa

Bob: Antonin Scalia.

Chez: Sterling Archer.

Ben: Probably John McCain. Dude is still trying to spark a war with the Russians. He's a madman.