The Morning Banter: Science has accomplished the "Vulcan Mind Meld", More Internet-Speak Added to the OED + More

download

Good Morning, Banter! Let's catch up on what you've missed on the internet.  Or, you know, add a couple hundred extra dollars to the millions Americans waste each year while surfing the internet at work.  As Captain Planet would say, "The Power Is Yours!"

(I think I just showed my age.)

download

Stop the presses!  Science has finally achieved a "Vulcan mind meld" on the University of Washington's Seattle Campus.  Alright, alright it's a little less Spock-induced and requires an internet connection, but we are officially one step closer to controlling each other's brains.  Creepy! Delightful! Frightening! Science.

777610-130828-dictionary

And in just a blink of an eye my faith in humanity, restored from the story above, is crushed with this one:  "Twerking" "Selfie" and a whole host of other teenage-internet-speak has officially been indoctrinated into the Oxford Old English Dictionary.  Someone please cure cancer ASAP so we can at least say this generation contributed SOMETHING to society.  I'm pretty sure this is all just a ruse to give wider meaning to last year's Word of The Year: Omnishambles.

mlk_march_dream

While we celebrate the 50th Anniversary of MLK's "I Have A Dream" speech, let's not forget the massive governmental fuck-up that came along with it: the FBI’s wiretap and hidden-microphone campaign against him lasted until his assassination in April 1968.

messy-desk

Finally, an excuse for never cleaning my desk (or room) again.  Take that, Mom!  Clutter leads to creativity, says a team a team of researchers from the University of Minnesota.

tl-horizontal_main

A 4 year old makes the ultimate breakfast cereal and somehow survives to tell the tale.  (Lord knows if I had ever wasted all that food, my Mother would have whooped me!).  But in all seriousness, this kind of sounds the perfect sugary death. So. Bon Appetit!

ku-bigpic

Finally, the moment you've been waiting for (No, not Season 3 of Sherlock to return) - PornHub has just released a whole lot of entertaining data about the country's porn habits. America does not run on Dunkin' -- it runs on porn.  Go on and tell us in the comments where does your fair city/state rank and do you agree with this assessment?