The Dark Side of Gentrification

Check out this nice little video in the Guardian of London Novelist Alex Wheatle on the gentrification of his hometown, Brixton, south London (a few minutes from where I grew up). Alex takes the Guardian through his neighborhood, exploring the changes seen over the past 15 years that have forced the predominantly Jamaican population out, and young professionals and hipsters in. While gentrification has made the area a lot safer and trendier (when I was growing up, Brixton was a no-go area with no coffee shops in sight), it means that those who grew up there can no longer afford to live there - a side of gentrification never really discussed in the media: