RNC Plays to its Base and Votes to Boycott Any Debates on CNN or NBC

hillaryhate

This is from the RNC web site and is the reason they are giving for threatening to boycott debates on NBC or CNN, despite the fact that this might actually get their message to a wider audience and do what they claim they want to do; expand their base.

So much for expanding their base.  The Republican National Committee (RNC) voted unanimously today to boycott any debates held on NBC or CNN because of two movies on Hillary Clinton's life.  CNN is working on a documentary and NBC will air a fictional miniseries.  The kicker is that it looks like FOX will produce the miniseries.

You can watch RNC Chairman Reince Priebus explain his why CNN & NBC are so much worse than FOX for being a part of this here:

Now, we all know that the flap over CNN and NBC goes right to the Republican sweet spot; they get to bash the Clintons AND liberal media at the same time.  While no one has seen the documentary (because it isn't finished) and no one has a clue what the miniseries will look like (because it hasn't been written), they both could be scathing critiques of the former Secretary's life, Republicans are pounding their chests complaining the media establishment is pushing a Clinton agenda.

To me, the best part of the resolution is the last paragraph:

RESOLVED, that the Republican National Committee shall endeavor to bring more order to the primary debates and ensure a reasonable number of debates, appropriate moderators and debate partners are chosen, and that other issues pertaining to the general nature of such debates are addressed.

Do they not remember the circus their debates were in 2012?

You can read the resolution here.

But they aren't stopping at just boycotting liberal media, they are being pretty choosy about who gets to moderate the debates.  Here's Priebus telling Mika Brzezinski he doesn't want her to moderate:

Of course the Republicans really do themselves no favors by boycotting debates on networks that disagree with them.  Sure, it plays well with their current base but shouldn't their base want to win a national election?  You don't reach people outside of your circle by only going on networks that are watched by your supporters.  You win people over by bringing your message to where they go -- and that is not necessarily FOX News.

Here's an exchange on Morning Joe, that puts it better than I can:

Update:  I reached out to the RNC and asked about the debate boycott and what their response would be if FOX Entertainment produced the NBC miniseries.  This is the response I received:

“We’ve said from the beginning that what matters is who is airing the production promoting Hillary Clinton ahead of a 2016 presidential campaign. Between NBC reporters vocally opposing the miniseries and now the production studio pulling its product, it’s clear NBC’s talking points are falling apart and they should cancel their Hillary Clinton production.” – RNC spokesman Kirsten Kukowski

She also included a link to a piece in the Hollywood Reporter announcing that the deal for FOX to produce the Hillary miniseries has fallen through.  You can read that here.