Gun Advocates Plan 'Reprehensible' Event in Newtown, Connecticut

defend_gun_rights

Screen shot of the 'Defend Gun Rights' website

One would think that in a town where 26 people, mostly children, were slaughtered by a gun wielding lunatic, 2nd Amendment advocates would try and show some sensitivity to the victims by not having large pro-gun meetings in public. Sadly, people who have dedicated significant portions of their lives to ensuring their rights to carry deadly weapons don't tend display such qualities. From the Huffington Post:

Gun advocates are reportedly set to hold a "Starbucks Appreciation Day" at an establishment in Newtown, Conn., to celebrate the ability to carry weapons in the store. Gun control groups have vehemently criticized the event as "reprehensible."

NBC affiliate WVIT reported that gun rights advocates are using Facebook to rally supporters to head to Starbucks stores across the nation Friday to celebrate the coffee chain's open policy on carrying weapons. The company doesn't prohibit customers from openly carrying guns in states where it is legal. The "Starbucks appreciation day" Facebook page says they want to thank Starbucks for standing up for the right to bear arms.

The Newtown Action Alliance, a gun control advocacy group created after the horrific shooting released the following statement on their Facebook page:

We wonder why it isn't okay to appreciate Starbucks at the same time appreciate the sensitive nature of the gesture in our neighborhood half a year after our community was ravaged by ‪#‎gunviolence‬. There are 5 other Starbucks locations within about 15 miles of ours to choose from.

To answer their question simply: they're a bunch of assholes.