After Two Wars and a Bankrupt Economy, Newt Gingrich Finally Concedes Neo Conservatism is a Load of Bollocks

shutterstock_79412761

“I am a neoconservative. But at some point, even if you are a neoconservative, you need to take deep breath to ask if our strategies in Middle East have succeeded...It may be that our capacity to export democracy is a lot more limited than we thought."

- Newt Gingrich speaking to the Washington Times

It's 2013, and Newt Gingrich has finally figured out that exporting American style capitalism and controlling other countries natural resources through war has limits. It only took epically disastrous wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, trillions of dollars lost, a never ending stream of terrorist threats, and the hatred of pretty much the entire planet for him to get there - a fully 12 years after his buddies embarked on their Middle Eastern adventure. I mean, I guess Gingrich deserves credit for reaching the same conclusions any reasonably bright 12 year old could figure out after a couple of semesters of history, but he is a grown man with a 40-odd year career in politics.

What's next? Will Gingrich admit that Wall St hasn't been great for the economy? Probably a bit too much to ask - the bankers have only wrecked the global economy once in the past 10 years. He'll need at least one more colossal catastrophe before Gingrich skepticism kicks in...

(Image via Christopher Halloran / Shutterstock.com)