10 Simultaneous Thoughts On The NSA, Journalism, And That Guy Who Publishes Leaks
I would like to note that it is possible to have several parallel thoughts on national security, detainment, journalism, and other topics in your brain at the same time.
Here are some things I believe, all at once:
- I don’t believe in indiscriminate leaking of national security documents.
- I believe that our government over classifies and keeps too much secret from us.
- I don’t believe that just anyone has a right to declassify national secrets because they dislike secrecy.
- I think that world governments have overreacted to terrorism and there is way too much surveillance and security theater at airports
- But some airport counterterror measures make sense and people whine about them too much
- Journalists aren’t special, in that if they traffic in illegal material I don’t think reporting on those illegally gained materials automatically makes you immune from all laws/prosecution
- But journalists should always try to find the truth, but also be aware that people – officials or activists – who give you secrets often have their own agendas too
- We have to kill terrorists
- But we shouldn’t be stupid about how we do it.
- Glenn Greenwald really likes a lot of attention, is prone to hyperbole, and has a martyrdom mentality.