Tuesday Morning Banter: Man Circumcises Himself on Stage, Idiot Zimmerman Juror Speaks, and the 'Hyperloop'

It's Tuesday morning people, and you should be working (or at least pretending to). But there's lots to talk about in the world today, so stop what you are doing and get reading!
It's Tuesday morning people, and you should be working (or at least pretending to). But there's lots to talk about in the world today, so stop what you are doing and get reading!
Screen Shot 2013-07-08 at 7.05.50 AM

thia0003316

It's Tuesday morning people, and you should be working (or at least pretending to). But there's lots to talk about in the world today, so stop what you are doing and get reading!

1. DC 'Artist' Circumcises Himself On Stage

In an attempt to 'penetrate' his audience, serial attention seeker and modern artist Adrian Parson circumcised himself onstage. He told the Huffington Post:

I was trying to penetrate -- in, yes, a direct, literal way -- the gallery and the audience. I wanted to be organic shrapnel.

It's a phenomenon that happens with suicide bombers -- their tissue is embedded in surviving victims. It was -- well, I remember, really well, counting the cuts. Five from the knife in my hand and it was done. It was just that -- it was the action; everything else I was doing, or what was in the Warehouse Gallery with me, was less so.

This isn't the first time Parson has done something like this - in 2011, he  went on hunger strike, threatening to kill himself unless Congress granted the District of Columbia full voting rights and budget autonomy. However, kidney pain proved too much for Parson and he abandoned his strike after 25 days.

More insanely crazy shit Parson has done here: Adrian Parsons, Self-Circumcising, Hunger-Striking Artist, Talks About The Projects He Didn't Do

2. Juror on Trayvon Martin Case Turns Out to be an Idiot

A woman, identified only as Juror B37, spoke to CNN's "Anderson Cooper 360" on Monday night, becoming the first juror to speak publicly about the case that has divided the nation. Juror B37 told Cooper:

"I think George Zimmerman is a man whose heart was in the right place, but just got displaced by the vandalism in the neighborhoods, and wanting to catch these people so badly that he went above and beyond what he really should have done, but I think his heart was in the right place. It just went terribly wrong."

She apparently also thought that race had nothing to do with the killing - a discussion her and the other jurors apparently "never had":

"Anybody would think anybody walking down the road, stopping and turning and looking -- if that's exactly what happened -- is suspicious...I think all of us thought race did not play a role. We never had that discussion."

If someone could explain to me how a grown man with a loaded weapon chasing and killing an unarmed teenager carrying iced tea and some candy is 'self defense', I'd be very grateful. Glad to see the American justice system working so well...

Margaret Burnham, a law professor at Northeastern University had the following to say about the issue of race in the case:

"The real central problem here … is that Trayvon Martin was really not seen either by George Zimmerman or by the police, who took 44 days to arrest Mr. Zimmerman, or it appears by the jury, for who he really was, which was a barely  17-years old young man, teenager, going out to buy some candy; and it is that fact that has gotten people outraged  ... race explains this case, so its impossible to say that we have the best justice system in the world, that it is as good as it could be ... when it's not a system that can recognise the critical importance that race plays at every step along the way today.

More here: Juror: 'No doubt' that George Zimmerman feared for his life.

3. American Wakes Up From Coma, Can Only Speak Swedish and Remembers Completely Different Life

A crazy story where, as Gawker describes, "A 61-year-old U.S. Navy veteran from Florida woke up in a California hospital in February speaking only Swedish, with no recollection of his past life."

Some details from the bizarre case:

Michael Boatwright was discovered unconscious in a Motel 6 in Palm Springs, California on February 28. He'd arrived in California from Hong Kong just four days earlier, with two bags, several tennis rackets, some cash, and four forms of identification, all of which listed him as Michael Boatwright from Dade County, Florida. Yet, when the man woke up, he insisted, in Swedish, that his name was Johan EkMichael Boatwright was discovered unconscious in a Motel 6 in Palm Springs, California on February 28. He'd arrived in California from Hong Kong just four days earlier, with two bags, several tennis rackets, some cash, and four forms of identification, all of which listed him as Michael Boatwright from Dade County, Florida. Yet, when the man woke up, he insisted, in Swedish, that his name was Johan Ek.

More here: Navy Vet Wakes in California Thinking He's a Swede Named Johan

4. Elon Musk (a k a Tony Stark) Says he Can Get You From Los Angeles to New York in 45 minutes with the 'Hyperloop'

Wired reports that Elon Musk wants to "Revolutionize transportation. Again," with "Mag-lev trains in enormous pneumatic tubes whisk us from Los Angeles to New York in 45 minutes."

Crazy. And very cool.

More here: Elon Musk Thinks He Can Get You From NY to LA in 45 Minutes