This Conversation Is Over

Yes, it's a Fight Cub reference.

The whole George Zimmerman conversation needs to stop. Right now. Trayvon Martin went out to do whatever he went out to do and I don't care if he went out for Skittles or crack. The conversation starts and ends with why George Zimmerman followed him.

Let's get the elephant out of the closet, so to speak. George Zimmerman followed Trayvon Martin because Trayvon was black.

Do we all feel better? We shouldn't. I am so over the conversation about the last few minutes of Martin's life. I heard the heart wrenching testimony his mother gave. It doesn't matter who was last shouting at whom. You heard me, I used whom. The end of the conversation is the least important. The beginning, however, means everything. Trayvon Martin was walking from points a to b. George Zimmerman was a vigilante. He was told by the police to not follow Martin. He could have gone home and done, I dunno, watch Game of Thrones or whatever it is white men watch. He didn't do that. He went and killed a 17 year old kid. I don't care if Martin was out for crack, for lack of a better race related stereotype, or Skittles but whatever, I can assure you he was not looking to be murdered.

So, what's my point? We like to think we live in some "post racial" world. We like to think that by electing Barack Obama president (twice!) that we have evolved but we haven't. It is/isn't ok that we haven't but it's not that we cannot acknowledge that.

Correction:  George Zimmerman is not white.  Although I knew that when I wrote this, I did not correct it and should have.