The Tuesday Morning Banter

You should be concentrating on that report due this afternoon but can't, because there's far more interesting shit going on in the world. Here are some topics to get you going this Tuesday morning.
You should be concentrating on that report due this afternoon but can't, because there's far more interesting shit going on in the world. Here are some topics to get you going this Tuesday morning.
Screen Shot 2013-07-09 at 3.19.11 AM

Here at The Daily Banter, we aim to provide you with a steady supply of things you can, and should be talking about. In other words, we give you banter. So here are some topics to get you going this Tuesday morning, when you should be concentrating on that report due this afternoon but can't, because there's far more interesting shit going on in the world.

1. Mexicans are now fatter than Americans

FatMexicanBastard225[1]

A United Nations study has concluded that Mexicans are now officially fatter than Americans. The U.N Food and Agricultural Organization (FAO) reported (PDF) that Mexico has a 32.8 percent adult obesity rate, edging America's which is at 31.8 percent. Reports CBS:

About 70 percent of Mexican adults are overweight, a third of them very much so. Childhood obesity tripled in a decade and about a third of teenagers are fat as well. Experts say four of every five of those heavy kids will remain so their entire lives.

Weight-related diabetes claims the most Mexican lives each year, with nearly one of every six Mexican adults suffering from the disease. Heart and related ailments round out the list of the country's top killers.

Diabetes alone kills as many as 70,000 people a year in Mexico -- roughly equal to the deaths authorities say are caused by more than six years of the country's gangland wars.

More than 400,000 new cases are being diagnosed every year.

0.4 percent isn't a huge amount to get excited about, particularly given the obesity rate in the US is set to soar over the next 15 years, but it does mean that while the statistic holds, the world has to laugh at another country for being fat bastards. A small victory, but a victory nevertheless.

2. Amber Lyon tells everyone on facebook that she hates people knowing what she's up to online.

From Amber Lyon's facebook page:

Screen Shot 2013-07-09 at 12.39.57 AM

When she isn't peddling conspiracy theories about Rolling Stone's journalist Michael Hasting's death, Amber Lyon spends a lot of time denouncing people tracking our digital lives. On her facebook page, she quoted Edward Snowden saying: "I don't want to live in a world where everything I say, everything I do, every one I talk to, every expression of creativity or love or friendship is recorded." Here's a suggestion for Amber: Don't use facebook, a network specifically designed to do JUST THAT.

3. US Supreme Court shilled for big business BIG TIME in 2012-2013

blind_justice

It's nice to know that the Supreme Court interprets the constitution in ways that almost always benefits giant corporations. As NBC reports in a review of Supreme Court decisions in the 2012-2013 term, big business won over and over again. The court sided with American Express in a dispute where merchants argued that AmEx was "leveraging monopoly power to charge inflated fees". The justices ruled in favor of Comcast against cable subscribers who said they were being overcharged, the Supreme Court "made it more difficult for workers to sue their employers for alleged harassment or bias", and also ruled that "makers of generic drugs cannot be held liable for defects if the federal government approved the name-brand version."

As they say, justice is blind. But when it comes to the very rich, it apparently has partial sight.

4. 50 Cent is a horrendous father

shutterstock_95844781

We cover celebrities here at The Daily Banter, but only to mock them. And in this case, decry their shitty parenting skills. In what can only be described as a revolting insight into the life of 50 Cent, RadarOnline leaked an exchange between the rapper and his 16 year old son Marquis Jackson, after the young man apparently hid from his father when he came to visit. "I need a blood test cause that dick sucking bitch you call mom was fucking the hole time," texted 50, who then proceeded to call his son a "disrespectful motherfucker" and "fucking stupid". Teenagers are notorious assholes (God knows what I put my parents through), but grown ups are supposed to act like, well, grown ups. Judging by the texts he sent his son, 50 Cent is certainly not one.

Here's a particularly nasty part of the conversation:

Jackson: Tell your mother she won. She has you and ill make another. I will have nothing to do with you. Don’t text me ever again.

Marquise: U keep texting me lol

Jackson: It’s cool I will never go out of my way again. You disrespectful little mother fucker.

Marquise: Lol u never do I don’t know not that doesn’t even call there son for his birthday

Marquise: Or get him a gift for his b-day or for Christmas.

Jackson: You are your mothers son. I don’t have a son anymore.

Jackson: Fuck you all you want is a gift. Like your mother and your ungrateful sister.

Jackson: Delete my number.

Lovely.
(Image via Featureflash / Shutterstock.com)
5. Insight into Bradly Manning's motivation for leaking national security information

Screen Shot 2013-07-09 at 3.16.50 AM

Now in the defense stage of the Bradley Manning trial, Manning's defense team have released emails written by the soldier through testimony from Lauren McNamara, a transgender woman whom Manning befriended online before his deployment to Iraq in November of 2009. From the Guardian:

"im reading a lot more, delving deeper into philosophy, art, physics, biology, politics then i ever did in school [sic]," Manning was heard to have written in early 2009. "whats even better with my current position is that i can apply what i learn to provide more information to my officers and commanders, and hopefully save lives."....

McNamara said that Manning had been concerned about saving the lives of families in other countries, of non-combatants and soldiers alike. Reading from the chats, she quoted the soldier's own remark that "im more concerned about making sure that everyone, soldiers, marines, contractor, even the local nationals, get home to their families."

Some of the writers on this site haven't had many good things to say about Bradly Manning. I'm not one of them - I think it's a complicated case with no clear good guy or bad guy - but I do think it's clear Manning was trying to do the right thing in leaking classified documents about Iraq and Afghanistan. He definitely broke the law, but then the US has been breaking the law by illegally invading countries in the Middle East and killing hundreds of thousands of people. All a matter of perspective really.