Snowden Emerges with Bizarre New Remarks, Implies that He Might Be Assassinated

snowden_moscow_screenMonday wasn’t a good day for Edward Snowden. Two different dispatches from the former-NSA-contractor-turned-Moscow-airport-resident were released in the space of an hour: a letter that was apparently delivered to President Rafael Correa of Ecuador, and a statement posted on the Wikileaks website. Both statements were equally bizarre, and it’s obvious that either Snowden is being poorly advised by Wikileaks, or he’s growing increasingly unhinged and confused.

The Ecuador letter began with Snowden complimenting Correa for “standing for the human rights of an individual against the most powerful government on earth.” Maybe Snowden isn’t aware of the fact that Correa recently authorized a Communications Law, intended to clamp down on the press by, among other things, prohibiting journalists from “undermining the prestige” or “reducing the credibility of any person or legal entity.” A “legal entity” obviously includes the government of Ecuador, and “any person” includes President Correa. Bravo, Ecuador.

Snowden continued:

While the public has cried out support of my shining a light on this secret system of injustice, the Government of the United States of America responded with an extrajudicial man-hunt costing me my family, my freedom to travel, and my right to live peacefully without fear of illegal aggression.

There’s a lot to unpack in that sentence, so let’s start at the beginning.

When Snowden wrote that he shined “a light on this secret system of injustice,” we can assume he meant that he was just one of many people who have shined lights on the NSA. As others have noted, the data mining process has been well documented by a variety of reporters and authors pre-Snowden. The FISA court warrants, overseas wiretaps, the minimization process, metadata collection — it’s all been written about before and received with varying degrees of public outrage.

Next, Snowden wrote that the United States engaged in “an extrajudicial manhunt.” Extrajudicial manhunt? What the hell is that supposed to mean? Not to jump too far ahead, but he wrote something similar in the Wikileaks statement in which he accused the United States of using “extralegal” methods. What exactly has the U.S. done in pursuit of Snowden that’s fallen outside the bounds of the law? Nothing that we’re aware of, and if he has proof of illegal activity, he should let us know.

Besides, talk about chutzpah. A man who stole four laptops and stacks of top secret documents, leaked them to the press, then fled the country and is currently evading arrest has accused the United States of operating in an “extralegal” way? That’s rich.

Regarding the “costing me my family, my freedom to travel” section, no one ordered Snowden to flee to Hong Kong or Russia. He made those choices himself — to leave his family behind while he traveled through Asia handing out classified national security documents to any reporter who asked nicely.

And what was he implying by “fear of illegal aggression?” It’s not a stretch to deduce that he still believes the U.S. will assassinate him. He’s talked about this before. In his Hong Kong video, Snowden said, “All I can say right now is the US Government is not going to be able to cover this up by jailing or murdering me.” He also wrote that his days might be numbered: “No matter how many more days my life contains, I remain dedicated to the fight for justice in this unequal world.” He fancies himself quite the superhero — a delusional superhero who’s being targeted for assassination. I’ll come back to this presently.

Snowden also seems to believe that the Obama administration has stripped him of his “human right to seek asylum.” (He used the exact same phrase twice in the Wikileaks statement.) This is patently absurd. He’s reportedly sought asylum in at least two dozen nations so far, including the totally-not-oppressive nations of China and Cuba. He’s allowed to seek all he wants, but there’s no right or law mandating that these nations accept his request. It’s also perfectly acceptable for the United States to lobby these nations to deny Snowden’s requests. He’s an international fugitive and he’s being treated as such. Again, no one forced him to run.

And finally, Snowden wrote, “I remain free and able to publish information that serves the public interest.” Obviously, he has more documents he intends to release to the press. However, this contradicts a tweet posted by Glenn Greenwald: “NOTE: Snowden’s leak is basically done. It’s newspapers – not Snowden – deciding what gets disclosed and in what sequence.” In other words, Snowden’s got nothing left and isn’t deciding what to publish.

These guys need to get their stories straight.

Later, Greenwald clarified with a twisty bit of verbal gymnastics: “I didn’t say Snowden couldn’t leak more documents if he wanted to.” Oh, so the “leak is basically done” is kind of like “mostly dead.”

“He gave us all the documents he provided to us weeks ago. That process is done. And we – not he – are the one deciding which of those gets published and which don’t, and in what order,” Greenwald said. Huh? Either Snowden has more documents or he’s given “all the documents” to the press.” Like many things Greenwald has written throughout the last month, this makes no sense.

But believe it or not, Snowden’s Wikileaks statement is an even bigger disaster.

Snowden began by once again invoking his paranoid suspicion that he might be assassinated. He wrote that his “freedom and safety were under threat for revealing the truth.” Well, even Snowden supporters will agree that he forfeited his freedom when he stole and leaked government secrets to Glenn Greenwald and others. Was he expecting to be pardoned by the president? I also have to ask again, who or what is threatening his safety? Does he have any evidence of this?

Every time Snowden appears, he raises more questions than he answers.

His Wikileaks remarks included the utterly incomprehensible accusation that the U.S. imposed upon him “the extralegal penalty of exile.” Look, Snowden wasn’t shoved onto an airplane bound for Hong Kong against his will. He fled on his own accord — and after he committed an illegal/extralegal act of stealing national security secrets and four laptop computers. Snowden exiled himself. And even though the U.S. revoked his passport he can, indeed, return to the United States any time he wants (as long as he can pay the airfare, that is).

Snowden also wrote that the U.S. had “unilaterally revoked [his] passport.” Unilaterally? Was the government supposed to get permission from… whom exactly? Now, as a result, he’s “a stateless person.” No. He’s not. In any way. He can come home whenever he wants, and he can turn himself in like his hero Daniel Ellsberg did. Martin Luther King wrote from his Birmingham jail cell, “I am in Birmingham because injustice is here.” Snowden is running away while blaming the United States for shoving him out the door.

I don’t know who’s advising him right now, but it’s not working out very well. Not only has Greenwald had to backpedal because of Snowden’s latest emergence, but Snowden has also flummoxed his own credibility with these ludicrous missives. Suddenly his remarks about being able to wiretap the president have a little more eye-opening context. He might know his way around his computer, but he’s totally delusional and naive. My concern since all of this began was that the left was too eagerly grappling onto an unknown quantity without vetting him — canonizing a hero without knowing the full extent of what he was up to. Since then, he’s made numerous questionable claims and leaked documents that have little or nothing to do with American civil liberties. If nothing else, these two new letters should raise some very serious red flags in the case of Edward Snowden.

Before these statements were released, Jonathan Capehart wrote that Snowden had “jumped the shark” by “flirting with Russia.” I appreciate the observation, but it wasn’t the first time and I’m afraid there are many more sharks still waiting to be jumped.

  • bartskid1

    This kid needs to have his citizenship revoked as a traitor and a coward. If he believes in what he’s doing, why hide? Greenwald is no better. Instead of hurt the country they could actually try running and change things, but then who would vote for traitors?

  • joeybegood

    “I also have to ask again, who or what is threatening his safety? Does he have any evidence of this?”

    Are you really that naive? Seriously, this entire article reads like a hit-piece. Even worse, it’s not very well argued.

  • Gondwanaland

    Bolivia has REJECTED a formal US extradition request for Snowden:

    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-07-04/bolivia-rejects-u-s-request-for-snowden-following-flight-detour.html

    Note, too, that of the list of 21 countries that have applications for asylum from Snowden, the sidebar on this BBC article today says that only 4 have so far formally said No; the majority are fence-sitting, awaiting developments:

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-23174874

    Of which, there’s a good possibility some will come from the 12-nation bloc of UNASUR holding an emergency summit today, who can now co-ordinate a response as a strong enough bloc to resist trade threats. This letters page from the Guardian makes clear what Ecuador’s actual position is, as well as why so very many of those applications were aimed at European nations, who all have very compliant extradition treaties with the US – so it would seem odd at first – but who now, with the brilliantly timed stories of NSA spying on EU business, can be pressured to act as a bloc (which is clearly happening and having some effect – the US-EU trade treaty negotiations been completely disrupted):

    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jul/03/sovereignty-stake-snowden-saga

    There’s a VERY clever game of geopolitic chess being played here and, of course, it’s Wikileaks who are the ones who’ve been busy plotting all the Knight and Queen moves…

    God, I would give my eye-teeth to know who exactly put out that *rumour* that Snowden was on Morales’ plane to be picked up by the intelligence services and kick off this unholy fuck-up in intercontinental political relations. Oh, what’s that you say? Ecuador found a bug in their London embassy three weeks ago…?

  • Chris Kimberley

    The vast majority of concerned citizen’s speaking out on behalf of Snowden would regard this piece as basic trash. Obama’s credibility as someone to trust, globally, with a track record of gun (‘Fast and Furious’) and weapon’s trafficking (Libya, Kabul) and drug trafficking (if you want to add Afghanistan and the cheapened heroin markets in the U.S.) and depleting hundreds of billions more from the treasury to hand to Karzai’s corruption and private contractor’s…and now the NSA. Good for Snowden. Obama’s credibility is reduced to zero, and less than that if you factor in the embarrassment quotient. Power mad leaders (incompetent, or otherwise) don’t like to be exposed. I don’t blame him for splitting “dodge” with the goods and being a bit paranoid. Returning to the U.S. to face the music would be a “solitary” experience like hero Manning has faced. He deserves a ticker-tape parade.

  • Art Brennan

    Obama and the other puppets want Snowden and will do everything in their power to do their masters’s bidding. Fuck them. We stand with a real American and international hero–Edward Snowden.

  • Aaron Litz

    Delusional is exactly the right word.

    I am honestly starting to believe that Snowden has serious mental problems. Delusions of grandeur, persecution complex, paranoia, narcissism… wow. He would be a FASCINATING subject for a psychology study. Several studies.

    “Inflammatory rhetoric and unsubstantiated claims by irresponsible politicians, and their effects on insecure, unstable and narcissistic personalities.”

    This is the legacy of Ron Paul. A delusional twit with delusions of grandeur and a martyr complex giving state secrets to China and seeking asylum in Cuba.

    Also, about all that “extra-legal” and “unilateral” garbage; first off, he probably doesn’t even know what unilateral means, he just heard it on the news a lot (where the word is EXTREMELY over-used; just friggin’ say “one-sided” for God’s sake. Or better yet, don’t; it’s usually a totally unnecessary word added to make something sound sinister.) All he knows is that the news uses “unilateral” to mean something is “bad” and so he’s using it the same way, to say that the “unilateral” actions taken against him are bad.

    And all that “extra-legal” bullshit is just him using buzzwords to try to make himself seem (and feel) important. It’s all nothing but meaningless gibberish from a sadly sick and delusional man.

    We will all have front row seats to his mental breakdown, as his mind continues to collapse into nothing but gibbers and meeps, until he can do nothing more than whisper “I wasss once a maaan!”

    • thehoopoe

      this is what’s so fascinating to me. He’s kind of a victim of television, new media spectacle. Since he rejected formal education he was completely at the mercy of the entertainment industrial complex. The end result is that he speaks like a reality show contestant.

      • Aaron Litz

        HA! You know, I hadn’t even thought of it that way, but I bet you’re right!

      • villemar

        Good point. I’m reminded of that This American Life episode when a guy watched every reality show and counted all the times one of the ‘contestants’ would say, “I didn’t come here to make friends.”

  • http://www.osborneink.com OsborneInk

    That WikiLeaks statement is written in pure Assangese. I doubt Snowden wrote a single word of it.

    • thehoopoe

      Poor Snowden, he’s everybody’s tool.

  • Haviva

    Hey Snowden, “If you can’t do the time, don’t do the crime!”

  • Haviva

    SNOWDEN IS A TRAITOR, AND DESERVES WHATEVER HE GETS! LOOKS LIKE HIS “BALLSINESS” RAN OUT! NEXT, HOPEFULLY HE WILL LEAK THE RIGHT WINGER(S) WHO PUT HIM UP TO IT…(RON PAUL)! SNOWDEN SIGNED HIS OWN DEATH SENTENCE, NO ONE ELSE!

    • heyjude999

      Wow ,, you must have hated the Pentagon Papers ..

    • Cobbesca

      WE CAN’T HEAR YOU. YELL LOUDER!

      • Victor_the_Crab

        YOU’RE A FUCKING LOSER THAT WANTS TO TAKE UP RESIDENCE UP GREENWALD’S RECTUM!!!
        YOU’RE WELCOME!!!

        • Cobbesca

          HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA!
          ….and scene.

          • Victor_the_Crab

            I was correct in pointing out your big dream in life.

          • Semanticleo

            It’s a wrap for sure. Party?

  • FlipYrWhig

    I wrote this somewhere else first, but it’s germane here too. Every Snowden statement sounds like a labored attempt to combine Rorschach and V.

  • Lisa Viviano

    Thank you for seeing this objectively. Snowden’s leaking that the NSA has been into everyone’s private info needed to be known, but the rest of how it was done and who he seems to be as a person shows he did this not just as a public service as he’d like us to believe. He is appearing more and more to be a loose cannon, mentally unstable and making one disastrous decision after another.

    • heyjude999

      Snowden is not the central issue here…
      The surveillance is…

  • Cobbesca

    One might think Bob is a serious journo/blogger/opinion writer until you peruse his writings and realize that his raison d’être is to protect and defend his precious O at all costs. On the only plus side to his fanatical Obot rantings, the melange of crow that he’s going to have to devour is going to be a pleasure to watch.

    • Semanticleo

      I too look forward to the smear-masters eating their own Jeremiads.

      • Victor_the_Crab

        You two pathetic fucks will be waiting forever for it to happen.

  • kfreed

    Okay folks, corrected all my typos, i think. (apologies) It’s been a long day/night/day. Am soooo glad I stuck around long enough to catch this.
    Thank you, Bob Cesca!

  • Semanticleo

    Waiting for the ‘libertarian’ derogation (he voted for Paulie) which is the reverse side of the wingnut variety…”Is he gay? No, he had a GF. It’s his ‘beard’” (legal insurrection) Not a dimes worth of difference. Obama apologists and wingnuttery; virtually indistinguishable.

      Good grief, why do you bother?

      We sure as hell won’t respect you in the morning.

      • Semanticleo

        It’s no bother to sharpen dull knives.

      • Victor_the_Crab

        Because they’re pathetic, desperate losers.
        And I sure as fuck don’t respect them in the morning, afternoon, and evening.

        • Semanticleo

          WHY AREN”T YOU SHOUTING? Those single syllables have more impact when you lock the caps

          • Victor_the_Crab

            Because, unlike you loser, I like nicole. Because, unlike you dumbass, she lives in reality.

          • Semanticleo

            Oh. Excuse me. You’re quite taken with her.

            Carry on.

          • Victor_the_Crab

            Whereas you have a throbbing blue hard on for Greenwald and everything coming out of his warped mind.

  • Semanticleo

    No inconsistency in GG’s two tweets. The second was a clarification for the idjits who haven’t been following the story as closely as they seem to believe. He’s said several times all the data has been acquired, and they are releasing as they go.

    But you go ahead with the smear campaign. It’s all good.

    • Lady Willpower

      Presenting counter-arguments is not a “smear campaign.”
      Asking for clarification is not a “smear campaign.”

      Glenn thinks he can just drop those kinds of accusations whenever he wants and then the debate is just over. That’s the kind of tactic that might work with his callow followers, but it doesn’t work with the rest of us.

      If the guy’s got SO MUCH extra information, where is it? It’s been a month now.

      • Semanticleo

        Repeating WH talking points straight from Ben Rhoades desk is a smear campaign, yes. Speculating about what’s going on based on available facts and when in short supply, giving the worst possible spin on his motives is a smear campaign. Yes.

        • Lady Willpower

          Oh, OK. Since you say it is, it must be true.

          • Semanticleo

            I guess you read Cesca’s post.

  • kfreed

    ““mostly dead”… zombie leaks no doubt.

  • Bubble Genius

    Are we sure that Snowden isn’t Chuck Barris in disguise? Have we ever seen them in the same room together? NO! I rest my case.

  • Badgerite

    Four laptops, these days, could contain quite a lot of space and the documents released so far do not fill up that space. Mr.Snowden may have a lot more material that could impact substantially on technical aspects of national security. And the biggest reason I can think of for China to escort him to the door as quickly as they did is that they already have it in their possession.

      Four flash drives can hold a lot of information. You can get one for ten dollars that holds 16GBs. The NSA thinks he sneaked the information out with a flash drive. You can get one with 256GB for $400 dollars that sounds affordable for someone making the bank that Snowden was making.

      So, how many times did he download information on a flash drive and walk out with it?

      Why would he transfer that information to four laptops?

      Did he use any of the laptops with information he stole on the internet?

      When do we get to see people at Booz Allen Hamilton being grilled by Congress and having their contracts cancelled?

  • Dave

    Snowden claims this story is not about him, but as soon as news machine slows about his flight from justice, he releases a statement saying nothing new.

  • heyjude999

    Bob Cesca you are nothing more than a Obama bot..

    Were you against the Patriot Act under GW Bush ?

    Read this slowly

    Germany’s federal agriculture minister, Ilse Aigner,
    was more outspoken, indicating the anxiety in Berlin caused by the
    revelations.

    “The trust of European institutions
    in the US government has been damaged by the spy scandal and the planned
    free-trade agreement is affected, “ she said. “We have to make clear to
    the Americans that there are limits for secret services. How can you
    have faith in negotiations if one has to be afraid of a listening device
    in your hotel room?”

    German president Joachim Gauck
    paraphrased US founding father Benjamin Franklin in a speech yesterday,
    saying: “Whoever gives up freedom to gain security will, in the end,
    lose both.”

    • villemar

      Obamabot is one word, not two. Get it right.

      • heyjude999

        Lol .. there are two words for Obama ‘liberal’ ‘Cheneylapdog’

        • villemar

          No, but I think Joachim of Fiore had some pretty interesting theologically progressive ideas (for the time) in 12th Century Europe.

          • patchbran

            well played, vilemar. heyjude’ll brb. busy on google.

      • Oscar Jimison

        I personally prefer O-bot, for short.

    • Daz K

      Ahh ‘Obamabot’ that boring old cliche thought up by embittered, self loathing liberals with the aim of closing down debate.

      • kfreed

        You realize that a good portion of the anonyous online variety aren’t actually liberals. Poke them a few times and Ron Paul 2012! Revised: Rand Paul 2016! spills out.
        You’ll know for sure the moment you piss them off and they call you a “statist.”

    • http://oldhollywood.net/ woody45

      In other words he’s shocked, shocked I tell you to find out gambling is going on at Rick’s place.

      “How can you have faith in negotiations if one has to be afraid of a listening device in your hotel room?”

      Now if you’ll excuse me I’m late for a briefing with the head of our spy agency. There’s a certain individual in another country we’ve had our eye on for a very….oops.

    • i_a_c

      I wish everyone would stop pretending that this fake outrage is anything more than bluster and hypocrisy. News flash: Germany spies, too. Every first world country has a spying apparatus. And every time someone’s spying is outed, the rest of the world (yes, the US too) rushes to clutch their pearls and announce “how dare they!” Of course, they’re secretly hoping that nobody peers behind their curtain.

      • heyjude999

        Do you spy ?

        I do not spy yet the NSA / the Brits have the capability and means to spy on citizens in the US and Europe.. Do you mind your phone calls / Skype calls been monitored ?

        • i_a_c

          Non sequitur.

          • heyjude999

            Sorry it does logically follow from my previous comments..
            The US Govt spying on its allies/ its citizens..

            The surveillance apparatus (NSA) is out of control..

            Indeed if Darth Vader (Dick Cheney) is for it.. there is indeed a problem.
            I was told a while back that all the hotels were bugged in Washington.. I thought it was a joke..America is becoming like Animal Farm

          • i_a_c

            You didn’t address my comment about international faux outrage, you changed the subject.

          • heyjude999

            Simple really the NSA / the Brits want to be ‘masters of the Internet’ PS who controlled the Internet prior to 1993?

          • Lady Willpower

            Dick Cheney is also for gay marriage.

          • heyjude999

            Indeed but I do not like his neo con agenda

          • Lady Willpower

            Well, of course not. No one here likes his neocon agenda (except for Dennis and Joseph, two of the worst debaters on the internet).

            I’m merely pointing out you can’t just say “Dick Cheney is for something therefore I am against it.” Even the worst person in the world must have some things you agree with them on.

          • kfreed

            Sure you can. The way cons operate is to pretend to be for something you’re for (“Come let us reason together”) and once you’ve joined them in solidarity you realize you’ve been duped into screwing your own principles. Then when the shit hits the fan, they’ll turn around and point the finger in your direction:)

            That’s the way it works.

            The people who wrote the legal justification for the Patriot Act are trying to turn it around on us. All of a sudden the Cato libertarians are the “civil liberties defenders.” Gimme a break:

            “Independent and Principled? Behind the Cato Myth”

            “Another Cato Institute executive, Roger Pilon, vigorously supported Bush’s attacks on civil liberties. Pilon, Cato’s VP for legal affairs and founding director of the Cato Institute’s “Center for Constitutional Studies,” supported expanded FBI wiretapping in 2002 and called on Congress to reauthorize the Patriot Act as late as 2008.”

            We especially don’t need “Libertarian Glenn Greenwald of Cato Institute” prancing around as “the voice of the left” (“Rand Paul 2016!):
            http://exiledonline.com/glenn-greenwald-of-the-libertarian-cato-institute-posts-his-defense-of-joshua-foust-the-exiled-responds-to-greenwald/

            Eichenwald said it best, right-wingers are trying to hang a Bush program around Obama’s neck and turn it into a scandal. Much like Issa’s constant fake scandals.

            *updated; Eichenwald, not Eichmann.

            I think you’re lost. Alex Jones Conspironuts are that —-> way.

        • kfreed

          Your calls aren’t being monitored. We’ve established that already.

          • heyjude999

            Incorrect they can be kept for 5 years…

          • kfreed

            You’re excused.
            Do these people read anything besides Greenwald?

            “Do these people read anything besides Greenwald?”

            No.

    • kfreed

      New meme: Glennbot. The Germans aren’t stupid. They’re going to figure out they’ve been played soon enough.

      I am a German-born, former German citizen who is now an American citizen. I can tell you from talking with my relatives who still reside in Germany, that ordinary German citizens are viewing this very much the same as we (Cesca and commentators) have done.

      They think that Greenwald is a right wing tool, and Snowden is a moronic dolt. Good luck with the scare tactics though…….better luck next time.

      • Cobbesca

        First article on front page of Spiegel disagrees with your bullshit assessment of german sentiment.

        http://m.spiegel.de/international/index.html#spRedirectedFrom=www&referrrer=

        • Semanticleo

          Stasi and Obama mentioned in context.

          Heh; ““Data protection is a basic right in Germany, unlike in the USA,” Peter Schaar, the German government’s data protection commissioner, told Yahoo News. “It’s not really surprising what the NSA was doing—but the scope is astonishing.”Keenly aware of how sensitive Germans are about their privacy, Merkel has made clear she would ask Obama directly about the NSA’s snooping during his trip to Berlin this week.

          One of Merkel’s fellow conservative politicians, Markus Ferber, even accused the U.S. intelligence agency of behaving like East Germany’s infamous secret police, the Stasi, which had an unquenchable thirst for surveillance of its own oppressed citizens.

          Through coercion and fear, the Stasi managed to turn communist East Germany into nation of informants, where not even friends and family could be trusted. It cataloged everything, including the scent samples of unreliable citizens, just in case they eventually needed to be hunted down by the secret police’s attack dogs.”

          http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/edward-snowden-hiding-wrong-country-120521507.html

            You know nothing about Germans. Perhaps you should stick to talking about Americans.

          Ordinary people in Germany feel the same contempt for you ggbots that we do here. Ordinary people in Germany understand that Germany also spies. Ordinary people in Germany, most of whom are far bettered educated than their American counterparts, understand that snowden is a bloody idiot, and Greenwald is a right wing creep-Koch tool.

          I know this, because they told me exactly that.

          • Cobbesca

            Yes of course I will trust the opinion of one of the dimmest Obots on this site, over the Spiegel articles, how silly of me. Your anecdotes are irrelevant and utter bullshit when compared with the weight and breadth of the actual articles about German sentiment. But if THEY told you otherwise you should totally write it up and submit it to der Spiegel, I’m sure they’ll oblige you.

          • Victor_the_Crab

            Here’s the latest designer fashion outfit for you to wear:

            bwahhahaha………..love this, Victor!

          • Lady Willpower

            This would be the same Germany that won’t grant asylum to Snowden, right? That’s weird, when you consider how much they idolize him.

      • heyjude999

        Hmm Greenwald is a right wing tool ?

        What about his employees Booz Allen Hamilton ?

        Ps were you born in East or West Germany.. Remember the Stasi

  • HeywoodJa

    Starting to sound like Ed has some mental health issues. That’s probably the best defense he has at this stage of the game.

      There are a lot of delusions that aren’t in the DSM. Even someone without mental health issues can be subject to reactive psychosis, like what happened to Jason Russel of “Invisible Children”. However having the whole world’s attention plays out in one’s head; the truth of it is more than most people can handle.

      Since Snowden believes that the U.S. is an Orwellian police state, he almost has no choice but to believe the worst about the U.S. government when his safety is at issue. Poor little thing is a victim of his own imagination.

      • blackdaug

        Still say: Bi-polar..manic phase.
        Look at the grandiosity of the delusions in his statements. The revelations of common knowledge as epiphany. The insistence he is being “persecuted” and “hounded” and “deprived”, because of things resulting purely from his own actions.
        Almost looks like drug induced psychosis or manic phase…or possible but unlikely late onset schizophrenia.
        He should be rounded up and shipped back here….and claim insanity as a defense. If he is bi-polar….he is going to be pretty depressed when he crashes..and may hurt himself.

          Possibly. I think that he does need some help coming down from out of the clouds.

          • blackdaug

            Yeah, the whole situation only serves to reinforce the delusion.
            He is also probably sleep deprived, maybe drinking…and getting advice from people who have been exploiting his condition for months.

  • Badgerite

    “Suddenly his remarks about being able to wiretap the president have a little more eye-opening context.”

    Don’t they, though!

  • DHaradaStone

    Greenwald goes on Fox tomorrow. I wonder if he’ll use the “Obama is worse than Bush” line with them too? http://goo.gl/azO07

    • js hooper

      Greenwald & Eric Bolling…2 peas in a pod

      Next stop Alex Jones.

      I hope this finally puts to rest the idea that this asshole is a “progressive”.

      Greenwald has to promote his brand…and that brand is definitely not as a liberal.

      • he_who_scoffs_at_danger

        Lots of progressives have been on Alex Jones.

        • villemar

          Well of course you’d know that, having never missed an episode.

          • he_who_scoffs_at_danger

            Greg Pallast, Brad Friedman, Gore Vidal, George Galloway, Ed Asner, KRS One, Christopher Hedges, etc.

            There was a “burn” there, wasn’t it? It whizzed right past my head while I was busy puncturing the clownish bit about Greenwald having Alex Jones cooties.

          • villemar

            You mispelled Palast. Hal Sparks said he was on his show once too, who is a solid pragmatic progressive and in addition to being on pragmatic progressive Stephanie Miller’s nationally syndicated radio show every Wednesday, has his own Saturday show; often featuring pragmatic progressive Imani Gandi aka ABL. Here’s the thing: You, Alex Jones, and Glenn Greenwald do not have the right or the ability to dictate exatly waht it means to be a liberal or progressive. Hating Obama with the white-hot heat of elevendy kajillion suns because he is worse than Bush/Hitler/Stalin/Pol Pot/Caligula/Vlad the Impaler/Cthulhu etc. is not the prerequisite for what it means to be a liberal, leftist, progressive, whatever. You and they do not have the authority to dictate litmus tests to the majority coalition of Democrats, Independents, & Moderate Republicans who elected this President. Nor to the 90%+ of African Americans, 70%+ of Hispanic/Latinos, 75%+ of Aisain Americans, 75%+ of Native Americans, overwhelming majorty of the 18-30 year old demographic, the smaller majority of the 30-45 demographic, the solid majority of single women, the vast majority of LGBT voters, etc. You and your ilk do not have that authority. Conduct as many Purity Puges as you want, they are as bound to fail as the Teabaggers will.

          • he_who_scoffs_at_danger

            Your reply raised a number of questions for me. I’ll be considering the implications for days.

            - If Hal Sparks was on the Alex Jones show, and Hal Sparks is one of your designated good, “pragmatic” progressives, then perhaps you meant Greenwald would become less problematic were he to appear on the show.

            - Hating Obama for continuing and modifying authoritarian security policies does not confer the privilege of defining progressivism. Hating Obama for being a seekrit Muslim who pals around with communists and antisemites and then suddenly declaring your hatred of Republicans a few months into his first term confers that privilege.

            - Bush = Hitler = Stalin = Pol Pot, therefor Obama < Bush means Obama < [Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot]

            - Progressives don't get to define progressivism for Republicans.

            - Having won two elections, Obama is beyond scrutiny. It is perverse to criticize a president who has won two elections since an election is the final word in closing all controversies. Dissent must not transgress the event horizon of election day or all the good that was created by electing Barack Obama president will be undone.

            - …in particular, criticism of Obama is tantamount to placing the 90% of African Americans who voted for him back in the shackles of slavery, brutalizing the 70% of Latinos who voted for him as the Spanish once did to the Incas in the Battle of Punta Quemada, placing the 75% of Asians who voted for him in internment camps, driving the 75% of Native Americans who voted for him back down the Trail of Tears, denying the overwhelming majority of the 18 – 30 demographic their birthright to the future and forcing the LGBT voters who voted for him into the gas chamber with pink triangles sewn to their sleeves (despite that Obama opposed marriage equality until about a year ago). Shame on Glenn Greenwald. Not only is he implicitly a racist, xenophobic, colonialist homophobe who hates children and middleaged people, he is endangering Obama's third term candidacy.

            - The thing about elections effecting the permanent silence of all dissent may or may not have applied to the previous office holder, depending on whether you're Charles Johnson, one of his new toadies, one of his old toadies, or the guy Charles Johnson portrays on Twitter with ridiculous pronouncements such that he was always against NSA Wiretaps and the Iraq War.

            - I misspelled Greg Palast.

          • kfreed

            Progressives actually do get to define progressivism. LOL. Or shall we consult “the stupidest man on the Internet”?

          • patchbran

            preach, my brother! can i git a amen!!!

          • blackdaug

            Stop oppressing me with your “facts” and “statistics”.
            “He who scoofs at danger” is off “He who runs with gov.. property” and “He who publishes redacted bullshit” ….to see
            “He who will be living in a fucking basement”
            They have a new chorus of “Help, help, I’m being repressed!” to write…….

          • Aaron Litz

            Nobody’s worse than Cthulhu!

            Well, except Nyarlathotep.

          • villemar

            Wait, what about Azathoth?

          • Aaron Litz

            Well, Azathoth is certainly more powerful than either Narly or The Big C, (what with creating the universe, and everything) but all he does is float around in the center of the universe, listen to daemon flautists and lesser Outer Gods as they orbit him, and gibber insanely.

            (gibber, gibber, meep)

            Plus, he’s an idiot. An idiot nuclear chaos, but still an idiot.

            Nyarlathotep and Cthulhu go out of their way to make humans miserable, Big C sending out his nasty dreams from R’lyeh and Narly just generally fucking around with us, but Azathoth only bothers you if you’re stupid enough to summon it (Him?) So, I’d personally rank Him (It?) as “less worse”, you see.

            Always a joy to discuss things with someone else who understands the true nature of our universe, and our insignificant place in it. Til the stars are right, anyway. ;)

          • villemar

            Why thank you kind sir. Perhaps Azathoth has been more on my mind lately as Right Wing, Loonytarian, Liberaltarian, and various & sundry crackpot trolls sound more and more like the Gibbering, Idiot Flautists that orbit him.

          • Aaron Litz

            You make a very good point. I can see how thinking about those people would lead you to thoughts of Blind Idiot Chaos.

            I myself have slowly come to terrifying conclusion over the past year or so, the implications of whuch are dire for the entire world; both Glen Greenwald AND Glen Beck are in actuality 2 of the Masks of Nyarlathotep, personae it uses to spread confusion and chaos throughout our country. Because Nyarlathotep knows that as this country falls into chaos, it will drag others down with it.

            IA! IA! Nyarlaglenbeck!

          • Daz K

            Your argument lost all validity when you mentioned George Galloway.

          • he_who_scoffs_at_danger

            What, is that the secret word or something?

          • Lady Willpower

            Yup. George “Gosh, it’s such a pleasure to meet you President Ahmadinejad!” Galloway.

          • Lady Willpower

            George Galloway is not a progressive. He’s so far to the left of everyone he’s become his own thing. He’s also in the tank for any number of oppressive police states e.g. China, Cuba, Iran.
            Check out his views on Tibet if you want to see just how “progressive” George really is.

          • kfreed

            So? You lie down with Jones, you wake up with conspiracy theories.

          • patchbran

            lolol!

      • kfreed

        So I’m not crazy. Pciking up on those Alex Jones overtones…
        Nailed it.

      • Lady Willpower

        Maybe they can make some hilarious jokes about Obama drinking 40s and having some barbecue! Just two bros having some laughs!

        • stacib23

          Whaaat, no fried chicken, bar-b-que or red kool-aid? ;-)

          • Lady Willpower

            Fried shrimp with hot sauce, washed down with grape (or strawberry) soda. You can’t go wrong with that.

    • he_who_scoffs_at_danger

      It’s a laugh riot that the lead figure in the “SNOWDEN/GREENWALD IZ NOT REEL PROGRESSIVES CUZ THAY HATE OBAMA!” faction is a McCain voter who wrote frequently of Obama’s seekrit muslim faith and is only prosecuting a grudge against Greenwald for calling him on his racist incitements when he was the lead web jockey of the Anders Breivik wing of the extreme right wing.

      http://littlegreenfootballs.com/article/33978_The_Paul-Obama_Isolationist_Convergence

      • villemar

        I wasted a few moments trying to figure out what you were babbling about and although you are inarticulate, I assume that you’re trying to portray LGF’s Charles Johnson as the official ringleader of Greenwald skepicicism. You’re precious.

        • he_who_scoffs_at_danger

          Kind of you to say. Wanna cuddle?

          Seriously though: cute strawman with the “official” thing there. But it’s a pretty small room you guys have here. It’s this Bob Cesca character, Charles “I was always against NSA wiretaps” Johnson and the rest of the neocons who never stopped being neocons.

          • villemar

            Well, take this with a grain of salt, since obviously we’re NWO Killuminati OHitlermba agents, but there is a pretty solid group of bloggers, journalists etc. who have had The Cato Institute’s Own Glenn Greenwald’s number for several years now. Not just Bob Cesca, but many others in the pragmatic progressive movement; and a couple of former and ostensibly current moderate Republicans like Charles Johnson and Andrew Sullivan. And the beautiful thing is, with Greenwald’s latest stunt with Snowden, he’s put himself on the radar of many others who may or may not had known much of Greenwald’s previous antics but are on to his anarcho-nihilist Loonytarian shenanigans now, like Chait, Eichenwald, etc.

          • he_who_scoffs_at_danger

            It’s fascinating to watch people who used to read World Net Daily for the “real story” on Iraq try to burlesque their opponents as NWO cranks. It’s like listening to a pack of 19 year olds in their fifth desperate round of trading eighties references they heard on Family Guy. History is stripped from the text so the text can be pushed around like little plastic boardgame pieces. It’s a remarkable act of trivialization. Bravo.

            Ah, yes. You’re correct. I forgot the other guy who doesn’t like Greenwald for what Greenwald said about his Iraq War boosterism. The one that’s a Paulbot now. Good eyes.

          • villemar

            World Net Daily? What are you on about? On second thought, I don’t really know and I don’t care. Have a pleasant day.

          • kfreed

            Bingo!

          • Bubble Genius

            The fact that you just referred to Bob as a “neocon” has rendered your argument, such as it was, invalid.

      • he_who_scoffs_at_danger

        Another hit from this indefatigable defender of the progressive way:

        http://littlegreenfootballs.com/weblog/?entry=29154_Obamas_Grandmother_Changes_Islam_Story&only

      • DHaradaStone

        Johnson is hardly the only — or even the most prominent — skeptic when it comes to the Snowden/Greenwald circus. Still, I’d rather read a reformed right winger than an Obama-loathing PaulBot like Greenwald, who would have the world think that the president eats Muslim babies for breakfast, keeps a torture chamber in the White House basement and goes duck hunting with Dick Cheney on weekends. Greenwald’s self-righteous screeching rarely adds anything meaningful to a debate.

        • he_who_scoffs_at_danger

          Well, there are people who share affinity with others who share their ideals and there are people who define their ideals by who they confer their loyalty to. Adorno wrote a book about it.

          • kfreed

            Oddly enough, the affinity sharing applies “liberally” to the Greenwald fan club: loyalty above integrity.

      • kfreed

        Ironic, isn’t it, when a reformed conservative sounds more like a liberal than a supposed “progressive”? Johnson at least tries to get his storis right.

        BTW, Snowden is a Paulbot, which explains why he’w acting like a lunatic:
        http://driftglass.blogspot.com/2013/06/is-that-you-john-wayne-is-this-me.html

    • kfreed

      it was only a matter of time.

      Are we getting yet that Libertarian Glenn Greenwald of Cato Institute isn’t a progressive? He’s in the bag for the baggers:

      “At a talk given the day after the 2010 election — one that was a disaster for Democrats — “progressive” writer and civil liberties lawyer Glenn Greenwald gave a talk at the University of Wisconsin, and expressed the hope that Democrats might suffer the same fate in 2012.

      Greenwald’s speech mainly focused on civil liberties and terrorism policy “in the age of Obama.” But it was his approach to politics that got members of the Young Americans for Liberty — a Paulite Libertarian group that co-sponsored the event — excited:

      ‘The speech was stellar with too many good points to touch on in a single blog post. I would like to point out that in the Q&A at 38:00 Greenwald specifically addresses a possible alliance between progressives and Ron Paul libertarians…’”
      http://blog.reidreport.com/2011/04/re-rise-of-the-naderites-glenn-greenwalds-third-party-dreamin/

      • blackdaug

        That should be mandatory reading for anyone on the left still trying to say that Greenwald is some kind of pragmatic lefty realist…..and not what he actually is: A raging Paulite stooge.

        • kfreed

          It had to come to this before people finally started to sanp to the fact. Been sayin’. It’s seemed obvious, from an outside perspective…

          I do believe he’s finally walked himself off a clif this time:)

  • Barry Schwartz

    I suspect his quiet period was a depressive mood swing and now he is in another manic period.

  • http://www.dailykos.com/user/shpilk shpilk

    Sounds like someone who needs a stay in a rubber room and some counseling.

    Or he’s totally full of himself.

    • Victor_the_Crab

      Can’t he be both?

  • js hooper

    I can’t wait for Snowden to start going in to the final stages of his breakdown….in which he tries to drag down his accomplices with him.

    It’s gonna be so sweet when he spills the details of how Greenwald assisted him in his illegal activities. Greenwald (being the snake he is) will no doubt try to distance himself from Snowball. It’s gonna be fun watching the fanboys tear themselves apart trying to decide who to side with.

    • blackdaug

      You know there have to be some frantic three way calls or texts going on between Greenwald, Assaunge and Snowden.
      “Sit tight, we got your back…..no need to go issuing statements without running them by us first!”
      Which is what this whole clusterfuck looked like, he released one thing, they went..oh shit! …..and started issuing things under his name……
      The wording in one is so obviously “English as a second language”…it could only have come from the basement of a certain embassy.
      Paranoia runs deep….in to your life it will creep.

        I just don’t get it. Why won’t leaders of authoritarian governments in countries where the press can only dream about having rights go out of their way to piss of the government of the U.S. for an anti-government libertarian, NSA back-bencher who wants to put an end to secrecy?

        It just boggles, ya know?

        • blackdaug

          Because they may be poor and oppressed…but they aren’t stupid?…

  • blackdaug

    To date, the only thing the U.S. government has “done” to Mr. Snowden, is file charges against him…in an American court, and revoke his passport.

    That’s it? His long winded bill of particulars against the the government, the president, the vice president……….because….they filed charges against him in court, and revoked his passport?

    Meanwhile, Greenwald tries to defuse the deadmans switch, because it looks like Snowbird may be coming in for a landing…..but…alas no.

    There will be no jets scrambled, there will be no “hit squads” hired, no drones deployed

    ………..no off- world kick boxing assassin androids are coming after you.

    “The truth is coming!”….and apparently it will be really boring..

    “Stop hitting me!” The man screamed as he punched himself in the face…..”Don’t you know, I’m a hero!!”

      Wish I had come up with “long winded bill of particulars against the government.” Well played, sir.

      • blackdaug

        It’s like the most poorly written horror movie ever.
        The main character, is running through the woods, falling down screaming page after page of exposition dialogue back at the monster chasing her…..
        ….but when it pans back to the monster, he is sitting in the well lit cabin eating popcorn and watching bugs bunny cartoons.

          When I looked back at the monster I saw a bunny rabbit and you saw the monster watching Bugs Bunny. Coincidence? Or proof of a conspiracy to minimize the monster and give him big ears like the ears of the NSA!?

          • blackdaug

            Turns out the monster removed his mask and is just the owner of the cabin. He just called the cops to come and shut up the screaming girl outside…who keeps coming back and lobbing masks at his front door.
            Meanwhile Bugs is on the Road to Morocco with Daffy…
            …and Elmer was on Fox and Friends

            They knew they should have taken a right in Albuquerque.

          • blackdaug

            Or a left…

  • js hooper

    Snowden sounds like he’s reading off a script written for him by Greenwald.

    “extra-judicial manhunt”

    “Unilaterally revoking passport”

    “he’s now Stateless”

    These clown ass statements are straight from Greenwald’s playbook.

    They sound so ominous and are designed to be bumper sticker like slogans repeated by his fan club.

    It’s become increasingly obvious that this entire Snowden circus was coordinated by Wikileaks, Greenwald and their affiliates. This freakshow has been run like a political campaign.They thought he could run in to the willing arms of our Geo-Political adversaries if they sucked up to them enough.

    They never expected that they would get bored with his bullshit and choose their relationship with the United States over him.

    As Putin said…”He must stop his work aimed at harming our American partners”