Why New York Is Better than Texas

Like many Americans, I get my news from the Daily Show. Ok, not really but I didn't know Governor Rick Perry was on a tour to steal businesses from other states like CaliforniaIllinois and New York until I saw the Back in Black segment the other night.  If you missed it, you can watch it here:

That's Lewis Black's take but as a New Yorker I had some thoughts about it myself.  What makes NY better than TX to me?

  1. Tampons are allowed into our state capitol while guns are not.  Remember, guns kill people, tampons don't.

  2. We don't proclaim to be "pro-life" and then execute people (Perry recently presided over the state's 500th execution since 1976)

  3. New York doesn't think women don't know how to manage our own bodies.

  4. The New York harbor features a statue with a plaque that reads, "Give me your tired, your poor/Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free"  rather than a thousand mile fence to keep those people out.

  5. Residents of New York celebrate diversity in all of its forms and beauties.

  6. Perry touts his state's lax regulations for being the cause of the economic development, ignoring the fact that his state benefitted from the housing regulations that prevented it from experiencing the housing crash like much of the country.  New York embraces regulation that works and Governor Cuomo has pared down the ones that don't.

  7. New York gave the world Seinfeld; Texas gave the world the Cowboys.

  8. People in New York don't claim to be patriotic and then threaten to secede whenever the US government pisses them off.

  9. New York believes education is important and is one of the nation's leaders in expenditures per student, Texas doesn't.   The state university system in NY is one of the largest and best in the country, too.

  10. I grew up in New York.