Gigantic Asshole Richard Cohen Says Young Black Males a "Menace"

richard_cohen

Richard Cohen: Major asshole

"Especially in cities like Washington and New York, the menace comes from young black males. Both blacks and whites believe those young black males are the ones most likely to bop them over the head."

- Richard Cohen of the Washington Post explaining why racial profiling is a good thing

There's being an asshole, and there's being a gigantic asshole - a title Richard Cohen has gone beyond the call of duty to attain. In a mindbogglingly stupid and offensive article in the Washington Post, Cohen enlightens his audience on the 'reality of urban crime in the United States'  - ie. all black people are criminals:

I don’t like what George Zimmerman did, and I hate that Trayvon Martin is dead. But I also can understand why Zimmerman was suspicious and why he thought Martin was wearing a uniform we all recognize. I don’t know whether Zimmerman is a racist. But I’m tired of politicians and others who have donned hoodies in solidarity with Martin and who essentially suggest that, for recognizing the reality of urban crime in the United States, I am a racist. The hoodie blinds them as much as it did Zimmerman.

Well, thanks for that Dick - glad to hear you don't like the fact that an innocent child was killed for carrying a bag of skittles and a can of iced tea - how frightfully considerate of you. I'm sorry you don't like people demonstrating solidarity with Martin by wearing hoodies - how awfully offensive that must be for you, a wealthy middle aged white man from New York who has no doubt himself been racially profiled by the police...

And then, there's this:

There’s no doubt in my mind that Zimmerman profiled Martin and, braced by a gun, set off in quest of heroism. The result was a quintessentially American tragedy — the death of a young man understandably suspected because he was black and tragically dead for the same reason.

Zimmerman the hero! A man who ignored the directions of the police, followed an innocent unarmed teenager who was running away from him, then shot him dead after Martin presumably tried to defend himself.

Cohen has a history of pulling this kind of disgusting stuff. Back in 1986, the Washington Post had to apologize for a piece he wrote sympathizing with Jewelry store owners in NYC not allowing black people into their shops, because of course, all black people are criminals and incapable of buying stuff like everyone else.

Given 75% of the rampage killings on US record were committed by white males, I'm shocked Cohen hasn't been arguing that the police should be given more powers to randomly stop and search white men and store owners be allowed to stop them coming on their premises.

We're waiting Dick.