The Right Doubles Down on Discrimination

While the American people support marriage equality, these members of the GOP have not gotten the memo.  Here's a roundup of some of the more ridiculous responses to the Supreme Court's decisions on the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) and California's

Paul Ryan's fishy friend.

Oh, Fishy Fishy Fishy Fish, who went wherever I did go.

prop 8. Congressman Paul Ryan tweeted a photo of himself kissing a fish with the comment that "Politicians don't always just kiss babies."  From the Daily Beast.  Not an exact reference to the Court's rulings but wacky none the less.  And it is not on his Twitter page now. Congressman Tim Huelskamp (R-KS) said the rulings will hurt children and immediately introduced a measure to reinstate DOMA in the form of a constitutional amendment.

David Gregory put the smack down on him yesterday on Meet the Press.

I cannot think of a more personal way politics can impact people's day-to-day lives as marriage.  Other issues are similar, abortion for instance but none more.  How is it the Republicans can miss the fact that the US Constitution was written to protect the citizen (then defined as a white, land owning man) from the government not restrict them by it?  Our definition of citizen has evolved -- thank goodness, so should our definition of what marriages the government recognizes.  Marriages may often take place in churches (or temples or what have you) but not always so.  Religious institutions do not dole out marriage licences and God has little to do with the tax code (we call that the separation between church and state).  This is all about equality not using one person or group's religious ideology to suppress the rights of others.  I guess that's why so many anti-sharia laws were popping up of late.  Only certain religions can impose their will on the rest of us and we have the GOP poised and ready to decide which ones.

More GOP wackiness: Famed adulterer Congressman Mark Sanford (R-Argentina-SC) weighed in:

Reason.com has a great selection of what the GOP 2016 contenders for the presidency have said here.

I heard some pundits talk today about how the immigration reform issue is more important for the GOP than for the Democratic Party.  They risk alienating a huge voting block that might agree with them on a number of other issues.  I think the same thing can be said here.  The GOP is on the losing side of history on this one and even they know it.

Since I started with Paul Ryan, I will close with him.  From the site above, he got in trouble for saying the following about gay adoption.

"I do believe that if there are children who are orphans who do not have a loving person or couple ... I think if a person wants to love and raise a child, they ought to be able to do that. Period. I would vote that way."

Interesting.

Enhanced by Zemanta