Debating an African American Who Thinks Zimmerman is Innocent

Screen Shot 2013-07-22 at 3.41.13 AM

I went on the Thom Hartmann show on Friday night to debate White House Correspondent from The Daily Caller Neil Munro, and conservative commentator Dutch Martin. We discussed a number of things, but the Trayvon Martin case took up the majority of the time. Martin is an African American, and surprisingly he took the side of George Zimmerman - something that I wasn't prepared for. I got quite heated as this is an issue that at least to me, is so blatantly ridiculous that I can't understand anyone who doesn't see Zimmerman's acquittal as an absolute disgrace.

I don't want to label Martin and 'Uncle Tom' or anything like that - he's a thoroughly decent guy and a real gentleman in person. But his views are extremely troubling given he could be treated the exact same way - a fact he didn't seem, or want, to understand. Martin expressed frustration with the predicament African Americans are in - high levels of poverty, crime, single parent families etc etc, and argued black Americans need to take responsibility for themselves. I guess that's all well and good, but to completely discount the African American experience - slavery, oppression, racial profiling and systemic and well documented police brutality, is mind boggling to say the least. Anyway, here's the clip (debate starts about a minute in):