Racial Profiling Is A Myth?

Check out this video to see how ‘color-blind’ our ideas of crime are?

Like Us On Facebook!

More on the Banter:

  • cwaz

    I described this video with some friends of mine, and sadly they were most surprised by those helping the young woman. No surprise at all what happened to the two young men. I would imagine that if the black actor had been Hispanic the results would have been the same.

  • scumbag

    I mean this is absurd and its rascist and all but the attitude of the black actor is certainly more aggressive – which makes the people that walk by more aggressive

    • Christopher Foxx

      Nonsense. You’re demonstrating exactly the prejudice the clip was showing and trying to cover it by claiming it’s the black kid’s fault.

      The black actor’s attitude to the people who were walking by was exactly the same as the white actor’s. He ignored passersby until they spoke to him. And when they did, he answered with almost the same words as the white guy. It’s their attitude to him that’s vastly different.

      People pass the white actor without saying anything, and the first one we see talk to him asks “Have you lost the lock?” demonstrating a presumption of innocence. The second asks “What happened?” and when the white actor asks him “Do you know who’s bike this is?”, making it clear that it isn’t his, the onlooker does nothing. As the narrator notes “About 100 people pass by and only [one couple] try to stop him.”

      The black actor, however, is confronted within seconds by someone yelling at him “Is that you bike?” in a challenging tone. Within a few more seconds, another person asks the same question.

      “Have you lost your lock?” is vastly different from “Is that your bike?”
      Only one couple challenging the white guy in an hour is vastly different than two challenges to the black guy almost immediately.

      • scumbag

        you are watching some other video…I suggest you watch it again until you agree with me. His attitude is subtly different – and white people such as myself are trained to pick this up from every form of media possible and interpret it as malicious. His attitude is different and yes this is my ever so deep seeded prejudice…I mean this is a darkie we are talking about! – we all know right that they are criminals or like 50% of them wouldn’t be locked up…meh. And so it goes.

        • Christopher Foxx

          and white people such as myself are trained to pick this up from every form of media possible and interpret it as malicious

          I’m hoping you’re being satirical. I worry you’re not.

          You’ve gone from “the black actor is certainly more aggressive” to “His attitude is subtly different”.

          And yet, the fact that the attitudes of the passersby ARE clearly vastly more challenging to the black actor continues to not be an issue. It’s the “subtle” differences in attitude in the black actor that get him what I suppose you think he deserves.

          Because whatever happens, it certainly has to be his own fault, right?

          • scumbag

            Ding ding for you – gold stars all around at your remarkable powers of interpretation. However, clearly you did not read my first post – it said this is racist and absurd. You have over-read the intentions of my first post. Further things can be and be both certain and subtle as they are here. If the documentarians here ever wanted this to be a stunning tale of race oriented discrimination they should have used exactly the same script responses. Instead the passerby who asks the black actor – “is this your bike” – at which he says not exactly – this person then tells others – “this is not his bike” at which he is confronted more directly – at which he respond aggressively getting up and basically yelling at children – is this your bike – is this their bikes. This is clearly and directly more aggressive and leads to more people coming along and the crowd growing more aggressive in turns. The white guy is sort of like ho hum…yada yada. To me this study is tainted. As to the reality of stereotyping…and discrimination and racism – well of course this goes on – its omnipresent – I don’t need this video to tell me what I have witnessed and yes my incredible bright and thoughtful counter-poster – that I too am discriminatory.

          • Christopher Foxx

            However, clearly you did not read my first post – it said this is racist and absurd.

            Your first post does indeed start “I mean this is absurd and its rascist and all…”. But it immediately continues with “…but the attitude of the black actor is certainly more aggressive – which makes the people that walk by more aggressive” So, yeah, you acknowledge it is racist but then express a racist attitude yourself.

            If the documentarians here ever wanted this to be a stunning tale of race oriented discrimination they should have used exactly the same script responses.

            True, this isn’t a perfect lab experiment. For example, once someone confronts the black actor it’s easier for others to join in. So once the ball starts rolling, it’s not too surprising that the black has a crowd around him while the white never had more than one or two.

            But whether the responses were identically scripted or not, the conversations are initiated by the passersby. And the way in which they do so shows a markedly different attitude on their part. Unless you want to claim the black actor was somehow more provocative in how he sawed…

          • scumbag

            jesus buddy – watch the freaking video – he goes off on an entire crowd of people…its painfully obviously more aggressive and the people passing by were not more aggressive initially – they asked the same questions…as of the white people who kind of ingnored and answered indistinctly and he responded more directly saying this is not my bike. I don’t deny that it shows stereotypes and that people react differently to his blackness – it is however exacerbated by his initial and immediately following response. You are blind if you do not see this…that is all

          • Christopher Foxx

            he goes off on an entire crowd of people

            Where? He never raises his voice, even when asking “is this any of your bikes” and addresses the man as “sir” even after they say they’re calling the police. In the second go around it’s the passerby who approaches him with an accusation and then tries to steal his tools. The black actor didn’t act aggressively toward him at all, even when the man tried to steal his tools. If anything it’s the tool stealer who raises his voice and “goes off on” the actor.

            and the people passing by were not more aggressive initially – they asked the same questions

            Oh, bullshit.

            White actor gets: “Have you lost the lock?” and “What happened?” Both in conversational tomes and with the presumption that the bike is his but something has gone amiss.

            Black actor gets: “Is that your bike?” and “Are you trying to steal that bike”? Both in accusing tones (especially the second one) and with the presumption that the bike doesn’t belong to the black actor.

            “the people passing by were not more aggressive initially”. Spare me.

          • scumbag

            yawn…more of the same…the crowd forms because he admitted he was stealing the bike – which none of the others directly did. One person hearing this told a group of passersby and that is when he made the annoying comment is this your bike is this their bikes…only then were the police called. i didnt say they were no accused tones you heaping pile of trash…I said the people were acting racist for christ sakes…it was the first thing i said. However it was amplified further by his responses which is just obvious. Please take yourself…a tool and offer your tools to someone else.

          • Christopher Foxx

            he admitted he was stealing the bike – which none of the others directly did

            More lies.

            I said the people were acting racist for christ sakes…it was the first thing i said.

            I never said you didn’t do that. What I have been doing is repeatedly pointing out your blindness to your own racism, and the tremendous efforts you’re going to to stay blind.

          • cwaz

            It’s astonishing that your perception is so different than mine is. I’m assuming we’re both white males. Yet, you see aggressive behavior when there isn’t any, and non aggressive behavior when there is. I think it’s you who should re-watch the video.

          • scumbag

            I dont really know what to say…he got up sarcastically shaking his hands as he approached the people and said hey is that your bike to a guy on a bike is that their bike to a bunch of kids…this is sarcastic aggressive behavior different from the other actors who were passive in their response. It would piss me off if i just asked someone he is that your bike to someone who is clearly stealing – I dont care what color they are! Notice no where have i said that the actions of the white people were not discriminatory or clearly racist which they were. All i have pointed out is that the behavior of the black actor is clearly – without a doubt more aggressive than the others. I did not classify that aggression as particularly severe or physical did I?. No I classified it by degree and you and the other poster are just delusional and as blind and brainwashed as you claim i am – if you do not see the difference in this video. His sarcastic remarks blew the whole thing up…not that they were not precipitated by questioning – which they were…but his response was different and more aggressive even if not more menacing than the other actors. And yes I was surprised by those helping the woman – I think this is ridiculous and equally a form of discriminating behavior that work against women usually…Note and please read because it is clear i have to spell everything out that I did not say it is a worse form of discrimination because in this case it is not…or is it?

          • scumbag

            He also responded nah its not my bike but its gonna be. None of the other actors were as flagrant as his lines. Clearly different set up which elicited more aggressive response of the people passing by. I mean your powers of observation are just in some state of denial. I am as liberal as the come…and personally i don’t care if you think im being racist…im seeing things as they are here. I do not deny that racial stereotyping exists and that it causes preconceived notions to occur that harm black people, women, and other races and as you can tell from the two black women – offer a veil of protection to white people. But this point in my opinion is flawed in this experiment – that’s all i’m saying…you want to attack me as some sort of evil racist – that’s your problem not something at all that I give credence to..

          • Christopher Foxx

            And scumbag continues to be determined to find fault with the black guy.
            First the black guy is “clearly” has an attitude.
            Then it become the black guy “subtly” had a more aggressive attitude.
            Now it’s devolved to how he was with the crowd. A crowd that formed before any of the behavior scumbag is harping on.

            scumbag is adamantly ignoring, of course, the fact that the black guy have a crowd. Why is that? The white guy didn’t.

            And there’s the difference. Which scumbag will no doubt continue to insist was the black guys fault.

          • scumbag

            you are a goddamn fool who obviously is incapable of addressing the points and has resorted to tactics. Such a foolish and stupid person deserves no more considerations

          • Christopher Foxx

            Nice try with the projection, scumbag, but I’ve addressed your points. I’ve pointed out where you keep changing what you’re saying and I’ve pointed out where you’ve blatantly lied about what happened in the video. (“the people passing by were not more aggressive initially”. Blatant lie.)

            You keep going on about how the black actor behaved with the crowd, while insistently ignoring, and even outright denying (see “blatant lie” above), that the passersby set a vastly different tone for the black actor.

            The fact is a crowd formed for him and didn’t for the white actor. And even if he was more provocative with the crowd, and I’m not for a moment conceding that he actually was, but even if he had been it was after they started aggressively challenging him.

            A black guy walks down the street. A white guy gets in his way. And only after it’s clear the white guy won’t let him by, the black guy pushes him out of the way. And you, scumbag that you are, insist that it was the black guy initiating the aggressive behavior.

  • Corebela

    This is at least 7 years old and still very true