The Real IRS Scandal: There's Just No There There

Congressman Darrell Issa (R-CA) has been on a quest to root out any evil doing or impropriety he can find in the Obama White House.  The recent "scandal" at the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) looked like it might tbe all the things Benghazi wasn't -- we can all relate to disdain or dislike for the IRS because we all pay taxes.  And it looked bad, IRS officials were screening out organizations that applied to be 501(c)4 nonprofits using search terms like "Tea Party" and "patriot."  Now, the real "scandal' is that groups from all sorts of political bends do misuse this status and promote whatever their agenda is.  That is a problem but it wasn't caused by President Obama.

Issa, who is also the chairman of the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform, has said this was "Nixonian" and that White House Press Secretary Jay Carney was a "paid liar."  This was the president going after his enemies and "lying about it because of the election."

Here is some of his ire:

Congressman Elijah Cummings (D-MD) is Issa's Democratic counterpart on that influential committee and he, unlike Issa, released the full transcript of the hearings with IRS officials, which don't show malfeasance as much as stupidity.  Not a great attribute but not the conspiracy Issa was hoping for.  You can read the first part here and the second part here.

Of course the real scandal is that we have Congress, once again, wasting their time and our money promoting agendas that have nothing to do with helping the country.  When will the hearings on that be?

Enhanced by Zemanta