Greenwald’s NSA Whistleblower Source Goes Public; Edward Snowden Claims He Could ‘Wiretap Anyone’

snowden_nsaGreenwald’s latest via TPM:

The 29-year-old source behind the biggest intelligence leak in the NSA’s history explains his motives, his uncertain future and why he never intended on hiding in the shadows

The individual responsible for one of the most significant leaks in US political history is Edward Snowden, a 29-year-old former technical assistant for the CIA and current employee of the defence contractor Booz Allen Hamilton. Snowden has been working at the National Security Agency for the last four years as an employee of various outside contractors, including Booz Allen and Dell.

The Guardian, after several days of interviews, is revealing his identity at his request. From the moment he decided to disclose numerous top-secret documents to the public, he was determined not to opt for the protection of anonymity. “I have no intention of hiding who I am because I know I have done nothing wrong,” he said.

Snowden will go down in history as one of America’s most consequential whistleblowers, alongside Daniel Ellsberg and Bradley Manning. He is responsible for handing over material from one of the world’s most secretive organisations – the NSA.

In a note accompanying the first set of documents he provided, he wrote: “I understand that I will be made to suffer for my actions,” but “I will be satisfied if the federation of secret law, unequal pardon and irresistible executive powers that rule the world that I love are revealed even for an instant.”

In a video filmed in Hony Kong in which Greenwald interviews Snowden, the former NSA IT analyst claimed, “I sitting at my desk certainly had the authorities to wiretap anyone. From you or your accountant to a federal judge to even a president.” This appears to contradict statements from the tech giants stating that the NSA never had direct real time access to server data. Furthermore, Snowden said he fled to Hong Kong due to its record of free speech. However, Hong Kong has a widespread surveillance program, allowing the government to bug homes and wiretap phones.

More on the Banter:

Meet New Fox News White House Correspondent Kevin Corke

Meet New Fox News White House Correspondent Kevin Corke

December saw the unfortunate retirement of Fox News White House Correspondent Wendell Goler, but thiRead more...
Requiem for a Nightmare: With a Growing Measles Outbreak, Is the Anti-Vaxxer Movement Finally Finished?

Requiem for a Nightmare: With a Growing Measles Outbreak, Is the Anti-Vaxxer Movement Finally Finished?

There are those among us who've thought all this time that vaccines were the problem rather than theRead more...
The New 'Ghostbusters' Has An All-Female Cast and You Will Deal With It

The New 'Ghostbusters' Has An All-Female Cast and You Will Deal With It

But much like the dinosaurs breeding in Jurassic Park, the new 'Ghostbusters' movie, uh, found a wayRead more...
GoDaddy Pulled Its Super Bowl Puppy Ad Because the Internet Is Dumb

GoDaddy Pulled Its Super Bowl Puppy Ad Because the Internet Is Dumb

Everybody, please take the rest of the day off. It's the least you deserve for having overcome everyRead more...
Conservative Smear-Merchant Chuck C. Johnson Continues to Destroy Journalism, Target Rape Victims

Conservative Smear-Merchant Chuck C. Johnson Continues to Destroy Journalism, Target Rape Victims

What makes Johnson especially vile is that he's completely unaware of his awfulness.Read more...
  • Schneibster

    I’m still trying to decide if Greenwald is lying again, or is just too stupid to understand how any of this works.

  • Lazarus Durden

    And the far left is proclaiming him a hero. What a freakin’ joke.