Don't Look Now but Marriage Equality Is Here to Stay

The Supreme Court may or may not be ready to endorse same sex marriage but the country is.  This week, Senator Lisa Murkowski joined fellow GOP Senators Mark Kirk and Rob Portman and expressed her support for same sex marriage.  I have organized a comedy fundraiser to benefit GOProud, an advocacy group for gay conservatives.  As I have reached out to press -- many of whom are on the right, the response has been "there's no controversy here.  Everyone supports it."  Now, that might not seen like a big deal but it is.  Our views on this issue have changed dramatically in the past few years and it is a great thing to watch.  Remember, in 2004 President George W. Bush used this issue to win Ohio and reelection.  Yesterday, Secretary of State John Kerry said the the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) will be repealed.  When he was in the Senate he was one of only four senators (Dianne FeinsteinBarbara Boxer & Ron Wyden) to vote against the measure in 1996.

gay-marriage-trend21

This is a poll the GOP may want to review and share with its members, especially those who are in Congress because the American people are also ahead of them on this issue.  Just this week Congressman Phil Gingrey (R-GA) gave a speech on the House floor where he said this:

"You know, maybe part of the problem is we need to go back into the schools at a very early age, maybe at the grade school level, and have a class for the young girls and have a class for the young boys and say, you know, this is what’s important. This is what a father does that is maybe a little different, maybe a little bit better than the talents that a mom has in a certain area. And the same thing for the young girls, that, you know, this is what a mom does, and this is what is important from the standpoint of that union which we call marriage."

Gingrey is not alone, clearly there are 43 Republican senators who oppose marriage equality and in the House I don't think any of the GOP member support it.

500px-US_Representatives_opposing_SSM

The red states represent those whose Republican representatives oppose marriage equality and the blue are the ones where the Democratic ones oppose it.

I think marriage equality -- and I love that phrase because it sums up why people should support it -- will be legal within my lifetime.  Probably sooner.  That is a great thing but it bothers me that members of Congress don't understand they are not living in the same decade as the rest of us.  Why should supporting something the country supports be "brave"?  How is it that people actually think our government has a right to pick and choose who we love and marry?  I thought the constitution was written to protect individuals from government overreach not endorse it.  And isn't that a GOP talking point?  They want a smaller government and give people more control over their lives?

And if you want to come to my fundraiser, it will be at RFD in Chinatown (near the metro!) on Tuesday, June 25th at 7:30 pm.  Tickets are $20 if you buy them now and $25 at the door.  The Eventbrite is here.  We have a great lineup of lineup of very talented comedians from the DC area so you'll not only be supporting a great cause (I don't think sexual orientation is apolitical thing, it's personal) but you will get to see some talented comics.

Enhanced by Zemanta