Darrell Issa Is Not a Tool

But he plays one on TV.

Yesterday, Chairman of the House Government Reform and Oversight Committee Darrell Issa called White House Press Secretary Jay Carney a “paid liar.”  As former communications staff for different government officials and politicians, one thing I would never do is lie to the press.  It’s just not worth it.  Issa’s comments, while in keeping with the general tone we have come to expect in politics, are ridiculous.  As a Democrat, I hope he does continues his clear overreach because he is and it’s obscuring any valid points he may have.  Benghazi was a tragedy, not a scandal, but the press issue and the flap over at the Internal Revenue Service deserve investigating.

Watch Issa prove me wrong here: YouTube Preview Image

Oh, it is worth noting, that Issa may know a thing or two about “paid liars” as his then-spokesperson Kurt Bardella impersonated Issa in an interview with Howard Kurtz (writing then for the Daily Beast).  You can read more about that here.

Enhanced by Zemanta

More on the Banter:

Shock in the Blogosphere as Andrew Sullivan Shuts Down the Dish

Shock in the Blogosphere as Andrew Sullivan Shuts Down the Dish

The blogosphere was in a state of shock last night as pioneer blogger Andrew Sullivan, almost compleRead more...
MEMBERS ONLY: Sam Smith Sounds Like Tom Petty Because There's No Way To Do a Truly Original Song Anymore

MEMBERS ONLY: Sam Smith Sounds Like Tom Petty Because There's No Way To Do a Truly Original Song Anymore

I think there's actually another reason a song recorded in the year 2014 by a British guy who soundsRead more...
Best of Banter: Sarah Palin Got Crazier, 'Friends' Was Racist, and Ted Nugent Is Still An Asshole
Rand Paul Flip-Flops on Drones Again: They Should Be Legal But He'd Shoot One Down Anyway

Rand Paul Flip-Flops on Drones Again: They Should Be Legal But He'd Shoot One Down Anyway

Rand Paul's chief liability is his consistent lack of consistency, and this new statement on drones Read more...
Meet New Fox News White House Correspondent Kevin Corke

Meet New Fox News White House Correspondent Kevin Corke

December saw the unfortunate retirement of Fox News White House Correspondent Wendell Goler, but thiRead more...
  • JozefAL

    That “flap at the IRS” does certainly merit investigation. But it also needs to be investigated by many of the so-called liberal/progressives who seem to have fallen for the right-wing’s non-stop “we’re being persecuted” meme.
    I just wish the “media” would mention how many of these “teabagging” “patriot” groups have applied for 501(c)(4) status since Citizens United and I also wish the “media” would inform the public as to the difference between (c)(4) and (c)(3) status. If these facts were properly discussed by the “media” (and I’m including some “liberal/progressive” bloggers and reporters), then this whole “scandal” might not seem quite so bad. There is NO “Constitutional right” to tax-exempt status (you’d think these “teabaggers” and “patriots”–especially those who scream “Tenth Amendment” all the time–would know that). It’s a PRIVILEGE granted by the government for groups whose EXCLUSIVE function (that’s actually what the original wording says) is education. But a lot of these groups that have “applied” for (c)(4) status went ahead–while awaiting the approval–and actively contributed money to specific politicians AND openly promoted specific politicians, contrary to (c)(3) AND (c)(4) laws.
    The vast majority of these (c)(4) applicants are little more than front-groups and their big-money donors are trying to avoid being uncovered. It’s also worth noting that (c)(4) donations are NOT tax-exempt (in other words, you can give to one but you can’t write it off as a contribution) BUT these right-wing big money donors are hoping to use these (c)(4) groups to influence political policy to lessen how much they pay in taxes (and, ironically, the money they spend on these groups is probably far more than the amount they’d save by having lowered tax rates).

  • Christopher Foxx

    As a Democrat, I hope he does continues his clear overreach because he is and it’s obscuring any valid points he may have.

    Huh?

    • Alyson Chadwick

      Overreaching.

      • Christopher Foxx

        Yeah, thanks. I’d finally parsed that out.

  • Darryl Frye

    Issa has a lot of nerve trying to impugn someone else s reputation considering Issa’s own checkered past , grand theft auto, tripling the insurance on a business he owned and then a mysterious fire 3 weeks later. If he didnt light the match, he paid someone to do it..so arsonist..yeah.. ya might want to shut up Issa.

    • Dennis

      Darryl, care to enlighten us all on those convictions?

      • Lady Willpower

        Please. Republicans still act as if Hillary Clinton was convicted of murdering Vince Foster.

        • Dennis

          ‘You people’?

          Republicans still act as if Hillary Clinton was convicted of murdering Vince Foster.

          Really, who does that? And how do they do it? Please explain what you mean by that.

          • Lady Willpower

            1. Yes, you people.

            2. Read any blog post at breitbart, redstate, michellemalkin, hotair, etc. Look at the comments.

            The end.

          • Dennis

            I did. I don’t see any.

            You just made that up, Lady W.

          • Lady Willpower

            Maybe you’re just deliberately obtuse.

          • Dennis

            And maybe you’re just making stuff up, Lady Willpower. Point me to a few you’re seeing right now that would accurately describe the charge you’re making, or simply copy and paste a couple of them here.

            Enlighten us all instead of being obstinate about it.