Yahoo Publishes Possibly the Most Pointless Article Ever

Mega internet company Yahoo is going through big changes (again). The failing google competitor has amped up operations to stay relevant, doing crafty things like changing the newsfeed on its home page, shelling out unseemly fortunes to app designing teenagers, and betting the house on content like this:

Screen shot 2013-05-01 at 11.33.35 AM

Yahoo has partnered with Business 2 Community, a content site that aims to create "An independent online community focused on sharing the latest news surrounding Social Media, Marketing, Branding, Public Relations & much more". Articles like the one above feature heavily on the site, and Yahoo is pumping them out on their front page.

I took a look at what author John Gibb had to say about the parallels between elite professional basketball and hawking weight loss products online. It was enlightening to say the least. Writes Gibb:

Kobe Bryant

Affiliate Marketing and Kobe Bryant: More parallels than you might think. (Featureflash / Shutterstock.com)

Kobe once said:

“I don’t want to be the next Michael Jordan, I only want to be Kobe Bryant.”

This teaches us the importance of creating your own name in the industry. Do you feel like branding is for big companies with large advertising budgets only? Think Coca-Cola and you’ll understand why most people associate branding with big companies only. However, the little guy like you and me instead has a little door called “authority presence”, to get their name out there and build a loyal following.

You want everybody in the industry, including super affiliates, web site visitors and customers, to know you’re the real deal.

I've actually drawn similar conclusions in my own profession - you must heed the words of the greats and make comparisons with your own life. For example, Mahatma Gandhi once said:

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world".

In 2012, I changed the design of The Daily Banter to a much cleaner look with lots of whitespace. I figured if I want to help make the world a cleaner place, changing my site was the very least I could do.

Gibb also wrote:

Should you ever give up?

“I’ll do whatever it takes to win games, whether it’s sitting on a bench waving a towel, handing a cup of water to a teammate, or hitting the game-winning shot.”
– Kobe Bryant.

What does it take to win the affiliate game?

First of all, it requires you enter the field and play until the very last second. This means you don’t give up and quit, like most affiliates.

I have friends who started affiliate marketing back in the days when I dabbled with it myself. They’re still newbie’s, and have no mailing list or sizable income. Some are not in the game anymore. That’s sad…

Some may think Gibb's claim to greatness is unwarranted, but puts the doubts to rest after quoting his mentor and 'legendary Super Affiliate' Allan Gardyne as saying: “John is the hardest working affiliate I know – he deserves his success”.

If you are still scratching your head, don't worry. As Albert Einstein once said:

“Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.”

To all the negative commenters at The Daily Banter, that one's for you...