The Heritage Foundation Does Not Like Non-White People. Wait, What?

The conservative think tank, the Heritage Foundation, released a report this week that included findings about “non-white” immigrants, whom they assert do not possess the intellectual capacity of their white counterparts.  This was proven this week when they published a report, authored by one of their senior people.  Hired n 2010 as a Senior Policy Analyst, Jason Richwine was a co-author of their report on immigration.  You can get a full version here.

The gist of the report is we need to screen out non-white immigrants because they lack the ability to reach whites’ intellectual ability.  Oh, no, Heritage, this does not make you racist at all.  Did no one vet this before you published it?  No one?

The Washington Post did a summary.

That rhetorical strategy is reflected in Heritage’s current work on immigration. His and Rector’s report recommends greatly reducing “low-skilled” immigration and increasing “high-skilled” immigration. “The legal immigration system should be altered to greatly reduce the number of low-skill immigrants entering the country and increase the number of new entrants with high levels of education and skills that are in demand by U.S. firms,” they write

Funny thing Richwine’s dissertation from Harvard (in 2009, before he was hired) should have known about views because he was pretty clear in that.  If I were in the position to hire someone to do research for me, I would read their dissertation, which came out before he was hired in MARCH of 2010.  I emphasize that because that gave them at least two months to read it while they vetted him.

Again from the Washington Post,

Richwine’s dissertation asserts that there are deep-set differentials in intelligence between races. While it’s clear he thinks it is partly due to genetics — “the totality of the evidence suggests a genetic component to group differences in IQ” — he argues the most important thing is that the differences in group IQs are persistent, for whatever reason. He writes, “No one knows whether Hispanics will ever reach IQ parity with whites, but the prediction that new Hispanic immigrants will have low-IQ children and grandchildren is difficult to argue against.”

Ironically, as people -- including Heritage who disavowed those views, though it is interesting that he resigned, he was NOT fired -- the right is calling an rejection of these views a “crucifixion.”  Michelle Malkin, Glenn Beck and Charles Murray, author of The Bell Curve leaped to his defense.  Murray tweeted: Jason Richwine, guilty of crimethink, "resigns." The bashing from the right has been as mindless as from the left. Thank God I was working for Chris DeMuth and AEI, not Jim DeMint and Heritage, when The Bell Curve was published. Integrity. Loyalty. Balls.

Oh yeah, it’s not his racism, it’s because he committed “crimethink.”  What if the word douchebag only referred to white men?  How they respond to someone who said, those who use the word douchebag are racists?  Would they think they were racist?  I think they would.  Would they call critics of that kind of thing "victims of crimethink"?  I doubt it.

Remember though, Murray has committed the same crime, his book lists what each ethnicity’s IQ should be.  Really.  Synopsis of the book here.

They summarize part 3, this way:

Part 3 (Chapters 13 - 17) addresses issues of a national focus, turning attention to cognitive and social behavioral differences between racial and ethnic groups. The controversy surrounding these topics, and the incredibly complex nature of the comparisons being made is acknowledged by the authors from the outset; the reader is cautioned to "read carefully". The assertions and conclusions reached in this part of The Bell Curve include the following:

Ethnic Differences in Cognitive Ability - East Asians typically earn higher IQ scores than white Americans, especially in the verbal intelligence areas. African-Americans typically earn IQ scores one full standard deviation below those of white Americans. The IQ difference between African-Americans and whites remains at all levels of socioeconomic status (SES), and is even more pronounced at higher levels of SES. Recent narrowing of the average IQ gap between black and white Americans (about 3 IQ points) is attributed to a lessening of low black scores and not an overall improvement in black scores on average. The debate over genes versus environment influences on the race IQ gap is acknowledged.

The Demography of Intelligence - Mounting evidence indicates that demographic trends are exerting downward pressure on the distribution of cognitive ability in the United States and that the pressures are strong enough to have social consequences. Birth rates among highly educated women are falling faster than those of low IQ women. The IQ of the average immigrant of today is 95, lower than the national average, but more importantly the new immigrants are less brave, less hard working, less imaginative, and less self-starting than many of the immigrant groups of the past.

Social Behavior and the Prevalence of Low Cognitive Ability - For most of the worst social problems of our time, the people who have the problem are heavily concentrated in the lower portion of the cognitive ability spectrum. Solutions designed to solve or mitigate any of these problems must accommodate, even be focused towards, the low cognitive ability profile if they are to have any hope of succeeding.

To summarize his views on race and IQ, he feels it determines it.  Born to certain races, you may have a shot at being smart.  To others, well, good luck.  And this is a guy supporting Richwine?  With friends like that?  I found a great article that showed a breakdown of how he views what races are smarter but cannot find the link.

Yes, the Heritage Foundation says the views in the report are not their own.  This was only after they were hit by anyone with a brain that isn’t totally wired by their partisan bent.  The left, the right, the middle all said, This is crap. Good, it is.

PS.  Was I at all surprised about Heritage's view.  No.  Not even a little bit.

Enhanced by Zemanta