The Benghazi Show: Welcome To The Right’s Latest Fake Scandal

clinton_benghazigateWednesday’s Congressional hearing on Benghazi is actually part two of the Benghazi show. Season two in the DVD box set, if you will.

Previously, on Benghazi!

Hillary Clinton, in her last appearance before Congressional committees as Secretary of State, was supposed to collapse at the feet of her GOP inquisitors, helpless before them as they posed for the cameras and delivered Fox-generated storylines. In reality, Clinton’s testimony resembled Neo from the Matrix, batting away nonsense and helping to remind the world why she has a historical legacy of her own apart from her husband.

Now with the latest dog and pony show, we will be treated to more GOP harrumphing and more Fox News alerts that will largely be about old, well-worn nonsense that the conservative media will treat as bombshells but turn out to be nothingburgers.

Pardon my grizzled cynicism, but I have seen this storyline before, with Clinton and Whitewater and breathless mumbles of scandal from the mainstream press that turned out to be nothing.

Today’s belt-tightened press corps is comprised of many easy-led by the nose veterans along with young pups who could barely vote in the 2008 election, let alone have any context for the Republican scandal machine of the late 1990s.

The same people who clutched their pearls at the idea of a bipartisan investigation of 9/11 would now like us to believe that the sanctity of the republic is at stake because of multiple versions of talking points. They have more anger towards those who edited a document than the attackers who took the lives of our diplomats.

It’s all as fake as the claim that a tiny Arkansas land deal was an abuse of power. I’ve seen this show before, it sucks and it’s a perversion of our government. In other words, standard issue conservative politics.

  • Michael Foster

    Obama is a scandalous phony and you leftist pukes are spoon fed his unbelievable lies. You guys ride the short bus and give each other a reach around?

  • churchilliscool

    The pathelogical mendacity of the left is astounding. You all really must have personality disorders that allow you to justify your so obviously dishonest positions.

    • Christopher Foxx

      You mean the Republicans aren’t making a big deal out of Benghazi purely for political gain? You mean that they did make similar big deals about all the embassy attacks that occurred during the Bush administration?

      • dbtheonly

        Yes Christopher,

        You’re right of course, but notice how “churchillscool” doesn’t really say anything. His comment could be dropped into any of the conversations we have here with equal validity or relevance.

        Bravo “church…”, a post consisting entirely of buzz-words & no content.

        • Dennis

          Like all the content you provided below when you put ‘scandals’ in quotation marks and listed school transcripts and the Boston Bombings, db? Then asked for help in describing them…..after you said ‘But it’s Fox, that’s what they do.”

          But it’s db. That’s what he does.

          • dbtheonly

            Gee Dennis, am I supposed to be so arrogant as to assume that I know all there is to know about the Fox “scandals du jour”?

            Well first off, I’ll assert that those scandals do not exist in a solid state. They are malleable or alter-able to fit whatever Fox desires them to accomplish.

          • Dennis

            Gee Dennis, am I supposed to be so arrogant as to assume that I know all there is to know about the Fox “scandals du jour”?

            No. It’s just idiotic to throw stuff out that you have no idea what it is you’re talking about, and then ask other people to help you out explaining what it is you brought up in the first place.

          • dbtheonly

            Again Dennis you’re making assumption unwarranted by fact.

            1. The Fox “scandals du jour” can not be fully explained because they mold to fit whatever story is desired. There is no ultimate answer to be had.

            2. I did not, “ask other people to help”; I admitted that I am not the ultimate authority & such recognize that they guys here know things I don’t & I might be wrong on the details. Z, Buzz, Christopher, Ol, DA, Marco, et. al. are smart guys & I’m not stupid enough to think that I’m smarter that all of them. It’s enough for me to know that I can add my bit.

            3. There is a huge difference between “not ultimate authority” and “no idea… talking about”. See “do my bit” above.

            4. Arrogance Dennis. You might want to look in the mirror when shaving.

          • Dennis

            db, did you happen to notice that no one knew what the hell it was you were even talking about? Minor detail, I know.

          • dbtheonly

            “no one”?

            One of our more recent friends.

            Asking about two of five examples.

            Right.

          • Dennis

            She asked because she didn’t know what the hell you were talking about.

  • http://sonic.net/~ckelly/Seekay/mtbwelcome.htm RepackRider

    A trillion dollars and 120,000 (or so) dead people from the invasion of Iraq over the…wait, they weren’t there?…,WMD, isn’t a scandal?

    • Dennis

      Look over there!

      Pay no attention to those four dead Americans. Because what difference does it make? I mean, really.

      • Christopher Foxx

        And right on cue we get Dennis, deliberately missing the point as usual.

        • http://frothslosh.typepad.com/ Ol Froth

          Its what he does. The real scandal of course is that Republicans are once again politicising a tradgedy in order to “score points.” Traitors all, they are.

          • Dennis

            Boring, Froth. You repeat the day’s narrative from the left like you just thought it up, but you’ve been saying that since the first weekend when conservatives scoffed at the idea that the RPG’s were fired out of a spontaneous uprising over some unknown video that Obama, Hillary and Susan Rice were peddling.

          • Zython

            And for a guy that’s always been sensitive to liberals being called traitors, you sure aren’t shy or introspective about throwing out the charge yourself.

            What can I say? You reap what you sow.

          • Dennis

            Except you’re lying again, Zython. I never called anyone a traitor.

          • http://frothslosh.typepad.com/ Ol Froth

            Perhaps you didn’t personally Dennis, but branding liberals and Democrats as unamerican, unpatriotic, or tresonous is quite common on the right.

          • Dennis

            It’s common on the left, too. So what would be your point, that you don’t like the charge, or you do like it? Or that your justification for stereotyping people is somehow different and mire noble than those you despise for stereotyping other people, like they could never use the exact same excuse for justification?

          • Christopher Foxx

            Ol Froth: branding liberals and Democrats as unamerican, unpatriotic, or tresonous is quite common on the right.

            Dennis: It’s common on the left, too. So what would be your point,

            The point, which Dennis knows but will never allow his cowardly self admit out loud, is that the right is actively working to turn Americans against each other and to make things worse for a majority of Americans. The left, at worst, is guilty of not opposing them strongly enough.

          • Dennis

            Oh good, lord, Christopher. The left, and at least a few you guys here, gladly participate
            in and mimic the same behavior you pretend to detest from the other
            side. Zython and Ol Froth were both quick to defend calling me a
            traitor based on the fact people on the right called people on the left
            ugly names once. And so now you come along to back them up as if you
            believe the left is all comprised of nothing but good people with
            nothing but good intentions whose only fault is not being forceful
            enough with the evil side that’s all pure evil. It’s just more of the same BS gibberish from you.

            The
            left, at worst, is guilty of not opposing them strongly
            enough
            Yeah, Christopher, that’s the absolute worst thing the
            left could ever be accused of having done. That’s why two guys here
            just called everyone on the right traitors.

          • http://frothslosh.typepad.com/ Ol Froth

            Figure its about time they tasted a little of their own medicine Dennis.

          • Zython

            A conservative politicizing a tragedy? NEVER!

      • http://www.facebook.com/people/Virginia-Paglialunga/527431820 Virginia Paglialunga

        Attacks on U.S. Diplomatic Facilities from 2002 – 2008:

        Calcutta, India (5 deaths)
        Karachi, Pakistan (12 deaths)
        Denpasar, Indonesia
        Islamabad, Pakistan (2 deaths)
        Tashkent, Uzbekistan (2 deaths)
        Jeddah, Saudi Arabia (9 deaths)
        Karachi, Pakistan (2 deaths)
        Damascus, Syria (4 deaths)
        Athens, Greece
        Sana’a, Yemen (2 deaths)
        Istanbul, Turkey (6 deaths)
        Sana’a, Yemen (16 deaths)

        Hearings on the above: ZERO

        Attacks after 2008:

        Peshawar, Pakistan (8 deaths)
        Benghazi, Libya (along with Cairo and Sana’a – all unrest on same day) (4 deaths)
        Ankara, Turkey

        Hearings on the above: PERPETUAL

        • Dennis

          How many of those were blamed on an obscure video?

          • Christopher Foxx

            How many of those were blamed on an obscure video?

            Just when you think Dennis has demonstrated the ultimate in stupidity, he finds deeper veins to mine and comes up with a gem like this.

            This is how you know he’s faking it. Nobody and truly be that stupid.

          • Dennis

            Tell that to the two parents of slain Seals who are both wondering why Hillary and Susan Rice looked them right in the eyes and told the the Mohammed video was to blame for their sons’ deaths.

            These are people that Ol Froth is calling traitors, by the way. Which you defended him doing. “Traitors all, they are.”

          • Zython

            Absolutely right, It’s impossible for bigoted video to incite violence. The only kind of media capable of doing that are video games. Right, Dennis?

          • Dennis

            But if a bigoted, obscure video did not incite violence in this instance, why scrub talking points and blame the Benghazi violence on that video when you know that not to be true? It gets to the very credibility and transparency of this administration, which you know perfectly well you don’t give a rat’s ass about.

          • Zython

            But if a gory, obscure video game did not incite violence in this instance, why scrub talking points and blame the Newtown violence on that video game when you know that not to be true?

            Try answering this one, maybe you’ll find your answer.

          • Christopher Foxx

            Is anyone actually still saying that, Dennis?

            “Once upon a time you said something that was incorrect. I know you’ve since corrected it, several times. But you were wrong once. So I get to try to make a big deal over that mistake and claim that you’ve never corrected it and are still wrong now.”

            That is Dennis Think, folks. (I use the word “think” with much irony.)

          • Dennis

            You’re perfectly fine with Ol Froth calling the parents of the dead Seals ‘traitors, all of them’, because they were once told by Hillary that the video was to blame for their sons’ deaths and she would do everything she could so see the filmmaker was brought to justice for their murders, and now, this very week, they still have not been told by her that wasn’t true. Your logic, Christopher, is that since this information turned out to be incorrect, that these parents should just suck it up and understand that Hillary ‘misspoke’ then based on bad information given to her at the time. Do you have any idea how ridiculous you sound?

          • Christopher Foxx

            and now, this very week, they still have not been told by her that wasn’t true

            Dennis lies. It’s what he does.

            since this information turned out to be incorrect, that these parents should … understand that Hillary ‘misspoke’ then based on bad information given to her at the time.

            Exactly. Yes.

          • Christopher Foxx

            What exactly would you have Clinton do, Dennis?

            And…. silence.

            This is how you make Dennis vanish. Call him on his shit and challenge him with a direct question.

  • kfreed

    Which is why the vast majority of sane people in this country treat this manufactured “controversy” with a giant yawn.

  • dbtheonly

    But it’s Fox. That’s what they do.

    I’m reluctant to list the “scandals” because I’m sure I’d miss a bunch but Rev. Wright, ACORN, School Transcripts, Boston Bombings, & bailouts come to mind immediately.

    On the bright side; perhaps we’ll hear less of Dr. Gosnell now.

    • http://www.facebook.com/people/Virginia-Paglialunga/527431820 Virginia Paglialunga

      What scandal is school transcripts and the Boston Bombings?

      • dbtheonly

        While in school, which President Obama got into only by using racial enrollment set-asides, he wrote papers praising communism or cited his birthplace as Kenya. The “scandal” can be vague at times.

        The Boston Bombings were faked to provide a “PATRIOT Act” moment so that President Obama can take away our guns/rights/whatever.

        That’s the rough outlines. If anyone wishes to expand or correct; I’ll be grateful for the help.