Quote of the Day: The Darkness of Our Shopping Civilization

Andrew Sullivan remarks on artwork by Brendan O'Connor depicting the banality of giant superstores like Walmart and Target that encourage mindless consumerism:

If I go to Hell, I will not have my ankles licked by fire. And I will not be lit from below. I will be subjected to giant, constant, overhead fluorescent lighting – what Michael Cunningham once called less lighting than the “banishment of all darkness.” All darkness must be banished to promote and encourage the purchase of things. This is what a huge amount of our culture now rests upon: the purchase of things. I guess you have to banish the literal darkness to disguise the shallow yet impenetrable darkness our shopping civilization represents.