5 Reasons You Shouldn't Argue With Racists on Twitter

Engaging with racist morons on Twitter isn't the smartest thing to do with your time. Here's why.
Engaging with racist morons on Twitter isn't the smartest thing to do with your time. Here's why.
twitter-fight-club-2012

twitter-fight-club-2012

I wrote a piece yesterday arguing that Bill Maher's lampooning of Wayne Brady for not being 'black' enough went too far. I tweeted the piece to Brady (who I started following) and noticed some awful comments on his feed that he had retweeted. This one stuck out from black militant Jennifer@JennyWOKE:

Screen shot 2013-05-15 at 1.30.16 PM

Brady replied to her saying something along the lines of "My daughter feels sorry for you"(although the tweet is no longer there), which then prompted the following response:

Screen shot 2013-05-15 at 1.58.50 PM

For some reason, I felt the need to respond to Jennifer and take her to task for her extraordinary ignorance and racism. I should have known  better. The argument descended into a slanging match with me calling her a stupid racist and her calling me a 'fucking talking meatball' and asking me to pass her 'a bagel to nosh on'. (you can check the argument on my twitterfeed for the blow by blow).

I left the conversation recommending she read all of Malcolm X, rather than the first half which went down predictably well ("white people are so helpful. Where would we be without their guidance?" she tweeted back).

While my blood boiled and I wanted to carry on, it dawned on me that engaging with incomprehensibly stupid people on Twitter was not the best idea for the following reasons:

1. It's on Twitter. You have 140 characters per message - hardly enough to articulate anything meaningful other than insults.

2. Some people really are stupid beyond belief. Anyone spouting racial purity ideology in America in 2013 clearly doesn't have much brain power.

3. Jennifer@JennyWOKE has 33 followers (and that's after being retweeted by Wayne Brady, who has 145,439 followers). She isn't exactly a leading figure in the black community. I might as well have been tweeting to thin air.

4. It's better to not give racist idiots a platform to air their views. Engaging with Jenny only meant she got to spout her offensive views to a wider audience. She's had her one-tweet-of-fame moment, and that's enough.

5. I had left my clothes in the washing machine all day and needed to get them out. Now they need washing again.