2014: Races to Watch -- Michele Bachmann

Michele Bachmann (R-MN) outspent her most recent Democratic opponent by 12 to one

English: US Representative Michele Bachmann (R...

and still only won by one percentage point.  That's an abysmal record, especially for an incumbent in one of the most conservative parts of the state and she has held the seat since  2007.  Part of her problem was probably that she spent the better part of her failed presidential campaign touting her Iowa beginnings, which maybe wasn't what her Minnesota constituents wanted to hear.

Bachmann does not belong in Congress, not because she is a conservative but because her relationship with reality is tenuous at best.  Her PolitiFact.com profile has rated 36 percent of her statements that they have researched false and another 25 percent "pants on  fire."   Now, when you speak in public a lot, mistakes happen but when she makes them they are epic such as when she confused John Wayne Gacy with John Wayne.  One statement from that page is ""After the debate that we had last week, PolitiFact came out and said that everything I said was true.""  That earned a "pants on fire" rating.

Being crazy or even delusional doesn't set her apart so much from her colleagues really.  I mean, I think it is is odd (and morally wrong) that her husband, Marcus Bachmann, runs a mental health clinic where one service they offer is to cure homosexuality by "praying it away."  It is also a bit suspicious that all of their foster kids were young girls and none appeared on the campaign trail for her presidential campaign.

None of that really matters.  The problem is she sits on some pretty important committees and has actual power.  She is a member of the  House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence, which oversees the Central Intelligence Agency, the National Security Agency and the rest of the U.S. intelligence community.  We need our sane members of Congress on that committee.

The good news is that the House Ethics Committee is investigating her for possibly misusing campaign funds making her a more vulnerable target,  Jim Graves has announced he intends to run against her again in 2014 and will bring this up.  Hopefully, the American voters' short attention span will allow for it to make a difference.

Tuesday, November 4, 2014 is not as far away as it sounds.