10 Examples of Bush and the Republicans Using Government Power to Target Critics

bush_era_investigationsThey say two wrongs don’t make a right, but ignoring one of those wrongs while vilifying the other is intellectually dishonest and violently hypocritical, among other things. And certainly that’s the case surrounding news that the IRS targeted tea party groups as a means of determining and verifying their tax-exempt status has resurrected a familiar debate about government overreach and abuse of power.

As of right now, it’s unknown whether the IRS was acting on the behalf of the Obama campaign or the Democratic Party. What we do know, however, is that it’s not the first time something like this has happened. We also know that the Democrats have almost universally condemned the actions of the IRS, as they’ve done when the congressional Republicans and, naturally, the Bush administration used the nearly unlimited might of the government to engage in similar investigations — or worse. And we know that the lock-step party, the Republicans, spent eight years defending, applauding and enabling Bush abuses on this front, while subsequently cheerleading the congressional Republicans as they carry forward the politics of intimidation and government overreach into the Obama era.

Let’s begin there. The congressional Republicans are outraged by the IRS story, but they haven’t been able to scramble to the floor of the House quickly enough to target left-leaning groups.

1. Planned Parenthood. After a hoax video was produced by James O’Keefe and released by a professional clown-wrangler, the late Andrew Breitbart, the Republican Party has engaged in a years-long effort to strip the organization, which offers cancer screenings and other affordable medical services for women, of critical funding from the government. The votes in the House as well as in state legislatures from Arizona to New Jersey to Texas and New Hampshire — to the tune of at least $60 million — are nothing more than assault against a political enemy.

2. ACORN. The government attack on ACORN, traditionally a left-leaning organization, might be hilarious if it wasn’t so tragic. As with Planned Parenthood, the Republican inquisition against ACORN was nothing more than a politically-motivated witch hunt based on, once again, a selectively-edited prank video by a scam artist, O’Keefe, who’s been convicted of wiretapping a sitting U.S. Senator and forced in court to pay $100,000 in restitution to a fired ACORN employee. Yet the entire Republican congressional delegation lined up behind Breitbart and O’Keefe and destroyed ACORN, which entirely shut down in 2010. But that hasn’t stopped the Republicans from continuing to vote on at least several occasions to defund the nonexistent group. In fact, last week the chairman House Appropriations Committee Hal Rogers (R-Ky.) introduced a section into a spending bill that reads: “None of the funds made available in this Act may be distributed to the Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now (ACORN) or its subsidiaries or successors.”

3. Voter ID Laws and Voter Purges. Whether it’s Governor Rick Scott of Florida purging voter rolls of minority voters who are likely to vote for Democratic candidates or states like Georgia, Indiana, Kansas and Tennessee passing restrictive Voter ID laws, the Republicans are making sure that fewer and fewer Democrats will be able to freely cast a ballot — our most sacred right as citizens in a representative democracy.

What about the Bush years?

4. The Bush Justice Department Targeted Democrats for Prosecution. Back in 2007, the House Judiciary Committee investigated charges that attorney general Alberto Gonzales singled out prominent Democrats for prosecution, specifically Pennsylvania Democrats — an assertion that was backed up by Dick Thornburgh, the attorney general under Reagan and Bush 41.

5. The Attorney Firing Scandal. Of course there was the attorney firing scandal in which the Bush Justice Department fired a slate of U.S. attorneys for strictly partisan reasons, either because the attorneys were prosecuting too many Republicans or because they weren’t prosecuting enough Democrats.

6. The Bush IRS Audited Greenpeace and the NAACP. Not only was the NAACP suspiciously audited during Bush’s 2004 re-election campaign, but high profile Republicans like Joe Scarborough had previously supported an audit of the organization even though he’s suddenly shocked by the current IRS audit story. Also in 2004, the Wall Street Journal reported that the IRS audited the hyper-liberal group Greenpeace at the request of Public Interest Watch, a group that’s funded by Exxon-Mobil.

7. The Bush IRS Collected Political Affiliation Data on Taxpayers. In 2006, a contractor hired by the IRS collected party affiliation via a search of voter registration roles in a laundry list of states: Alaska, Arkansas, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Michigan, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Texas, Utah and Wisconsin. This begs the obvious question: why? Why would the IRS need voter registration and party affiliation information?

8. The Bush FBI and Joint Terrorism Task Force Targeted Civil Rights / Anti-war Activists. In 2005, an ACLU investigation revealed that both the FBI and the JTTF surveilled and gathered intelligence about a variety of liberal groups including PETA and the Catholic Workers, along with other groups that it hyperbolically referred to as having “semi-communistic ideology.”

9. The Bush Pentagon Spied on Dozens of Anti-war Meetings. Also in 2005, the Department of Defense tracked 1,500 “suspicious incidents” and spied on four-dozen meetings involving, for example, anti-war Quaker groups and the like. Yes, really. The Bush administration actually kept track of who was attending these meetings down to descriptions of the vehicles used by the attendees, calling to mind the pre-Watergate era when the government investigated 100,000 Americans during the Vietnam War.

10. The Bush FBI Targeted Journalists with the New York Times and the Washington Post. Yesterday, it was learned that a U.S. attorney, Ronald Machen, subpoenaed and confiscated phone records from the Associated Press as part of a leak investigation regarding an article about a CIA operation that took place in Yemen to thwart a terrorist attack on the anniversary of Bin Laden’s death. Well, this story pales in comparison with the Bush administration’s inquisition against the reporters who broke the story about the NSA wiretapping program. In fact, the Justice Department considered invoking the Espionage Act of 1917, the archaic sequel to the John Adams-era Alien and Sedition Acts. The Bush FBI seized phone records — without subpoena — from four American journalists, including Raymond Bonner and Jane Perlez. How do we know this for sure? Former FBI Director Robert Mueller apologized to the New York Times and the Washington Post.

Adding… Bush White House Warns Bill Maher After 9/11. Congressional Republicans Condemn Moveon.org. I’ve coupled these two instances into one simply because they each underscore the Republican penchant for bullying dissenters. Shortly after 9/11, Bill Maher committed the mortal sin of suggesting that terrorists weren’t “cowards” (he was merely agreeing with conservative fire-eater Dinesh D’Souza). White House press secretary Ari Fleischer, speaking from the White House, warned Maher: “people have to watch what they say and watch what they do.” Maher’s show at the time, Politically Incorrect, was cancelled shortly thereafter. Years later, Moveon.org criticized conservative superhero David Petraeus with a full-page ad featuring the awkward play-on-words “General Betray Us.” George W. Bush himself pilloried Moveon and the Senate voted to condemn the ad while lionizing Petraeus (a love affair that came to an end last year).

With the IRS and AP stories, any cursory glimpse at the news will prove that Democrats — even liberal bloggers — have been critical of the Obama administration’s actions, just as they had been with the actions of the Bush White House and the Republican Party. But Republicans? No such fairness or honesty. Of course. And it’s also important to note the distinction between these recent stories and what’s obviously a Republican textbook strategy of employing any means necessary in suppressing its opposition — from the ballot box to the pages of our top-shelf newspapers. This is what they do: they intimidate, bully, prosecute and silence their critics as a matter of routine. And they rarely apologize or accept responsibility for it.

  • Prospector

    Why do Democrats have such a hard time with obtaining picture IDs?

  • http://www.facebook.com/samijowalsh Samantha Walsh

    Don’t forget the blocking of Elizibeth Warren’s appoinent to sherrif the banks.

  • http://www.facebook.com/grant.devereaux Grant Devereaux

    It’s perfectly okay when Republicans do it – that’s Patriotism. When Democrats do it, it’s fascism. Got it?

  • Ipecac

    Nobody said we were supposed to “let it go”. Nobody expects that these things won’t happen from time to time. The key thing is how we respond to them and the Republicans act with hypocritical outrage, while the Democrats have condemned all these misuses of power, no matter on whose watch they happened. (And I agree with Razor, I’m still not convinced this one is even a scandal.)

  • joseph2004

    Fair enough, Bob. But the question I think a lot of people, even Democrats, are asking is: Weren’t Obama and his merry band of acolytes elected to “set things right”? Wasn’t Obama elected as a response to the Bush years?

    I’m not sure who are the more hypocritical – the ones blasting Obama now for the indiscretions on his watch but who ignored those of the Bush years, or the ones using Bush’s indiscretions then as a basis for justifying those of Obama now.

    We know, as you say, this isn’t the first time this has happened. Point is, your guy campaigned on the promise that these kinds of missteps would be a thing of the past. Now, the justification for them happening now is that they happened back then, so we’re supposed to let it go.

    Maybe behind the scenes you’re running around admonishing democratic politicians and operatives who do these things, counseling them on how they are making Democrats look bad. But perseption is reality, and I’d bet a day’s wages your first instinct isn’t to do so.

    • http://twitter.com/d_lds Linda D. Smith

      How can you set things right when the Repugs vowed to make you a “one term president” from day one?
      “Perception is reality when you openly admit you are going to do everything you can to screw this president ‘s term. Knowing his predecessor was and is a major screwup.
      Tell us please, How can you set things right?

      “Now, the justification for them happening now is that they happened back then, so we’re supposed to let it go.”

      I don’t think he said let it go. I think he said look deep inside yourself to ask the question “Why does this bother me now when it didn’t bother me when my guy did it?”

      “Maybe behind the scenes you’re running around admonishing democratic politicians and operatives who do these things”

      You make it sound as if this is somehow distinct from his public face, where he is… doing exactly that. In the article to which you are responding.

    • Rich

      What I find most interesting is that the debate is over whether both parties have done this stuff and not in how it was done. There is a very important difference in the way the republican administrations have conducted their behavior and the way the democrat administrations have done the same. Is it just me or is the media (and commentators galore) ignoring that in the current case there were actual subpoenas involved, which unless I am wrong is the Constitutionally prescribed way to get this type of info vs that of past instances where no such due process was even attempted. This is a huge difference because while bother are very questionable, one is inherently illegal and a violation of the Constitution.

      What is even more interesting is that the conservative party, conservative as in keeping the government within the powers granted to it by the people in the Constitution, is the party that failed to follow the Constitution.

      I absolutely understand why this is a concern in a free society but I am not sure I understand the zeal with which the conservatives are pressing this issue. Its kinda like a person on Death Row advocating the death penalty while insisting it is unjust in his case and seeking life in prison for an admitted capital offense.

  • http://twitter.com/SugaRazor Razor

    I still don’t understand the scandal. The IRS targeted groups that were whining about taxes, who were applying for tax-exempt status. It’s kinda like if Cheech & Chong applied for medical marijuana, naturally you’d be a bit suspicious.

    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1655290390 Steven Skelton

      Perhaps you should read the articles of impeachment drawn up against Richard Nixon for clarification.

      • Robert Scalzi

        you’re still here ??

        • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1655290390 Steven Skelton

          When I get the chance.

      • http://twitter.com/SugaRazor Razor

        Perhaps you should provide evidence that this was any sort of order from the President before busting out the Nixon comparisons.

        Again, this seems more akin to someone saying “HEY GOVERNMENT SCUMBAGS, I AM STOCKPILING AMMUNITION TO SHOOT YOUR JACKBOOTED THUGS!” and then being surprised when the ATF comes knockin.

        • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1655290390 Steven Skelton

          I have no reason to believe the president was involved. I brought up the articles of impeachment to show why it is a scandal. The IRS can’t get involved in politics, and it is a big deal if they do…big enough to have already brought down a president.

          • http://twitter.com/SugaRazor Razor

            But again, they kinda have to get involved in politics when political groups want tax-exempt status. And when said groups are bitching about taxes, while trying to get out of paying taxes, it’s bound to raise an eyebrow or two.

            This reminds me of the whining about the report of the rise of right-wing extremism. Well yeah, naturally the FBI is going to take an interest in it when there’s a massive spike in right-wing extremism.

            I mean, I certainly realize it looks suspicious when you look at it through the stained lens of what passes for “objectivity” in today’s media, but when you’re trying to get people to give you money based on the slogan of “taxed enough already,” I think it’s within bounds to investigate their taxes a little more than the local animal rescue or homeless shelter.

          • Prospector

            It sounds perfectly consistent to me. It would be inconsistent if it was an organization that wanted to raise taxes that also sought tax-exempt status.