Why Are Liberals So Soft On George W. Bush?

George W. Bush was easily the least qualified person in U.S. history to hold the presidency. Other failed presidents occasionally have one element of their tenure that they can hail as a success, but George W. Bush ended his presidency with failure on both domestic and foreign policy.

By the time he mercifully left office on January 20, 2009, thousands of American soldiers were unnecessarily dead, thousands of Iraqis were dead, and millions of Americans were out of work. That doesn’t even account for global instability thanks to the vacuum of leadership in the Bush White House.

Yet somehow, my fellow liberals are too soft in assessing Bush’s failure.

They claim that he was a puppet, a tool of other, craftier forces. Most often Cheney is invoked as the man behind the curtain, who used Bush to achieve his evil goals.

Wrong.

Bush is responsible. Bush was the President. Bush was the man who made the ultimate decision to invade Iraq, to do so with an incompetent fool like Donald Rumseld in charge. Bush chose not to react to the memo that warned him about Bin Laden’s plan to attack on 9/11. Bush chose to take resources away from fighting Al Qaeda in order to invade Iraq. Bush chose to put industry cronies in key regulatory positions, including those who were supposed to be watching Wall Street. Bush chose to cut taxes for the super-rich without regard to its long-term effect on the U.S. economy. It was Bush who looked out of an airplane window with that same blank expression he always had, watching as New Orleans drowned.

At practically every critical juncture in his presidency, Bush made the decisions that lead to failure, death, and strife for Americans and people around the world. The buck stopped at his desk.

So when liberals lay the blame on people like Cheney, or Rice, or any of the other goons that ran amok in the White House for eight years, they’re letting the ultimate bad actor off the hook.

Bush is responsible for what happened. We shouldn’t ever forget that.

  • dbtheonly

    Late to the game, but disagree. Bush’s “scandals” pale when compared to some of the historical ones (in constant dollars). But my worst Presidents:

    Buchanan, Hoover, Pierce, Harding

  • SaveFarris

    Keep beating that dead horse, Oliver! ANYTHING to distract from your guy’s complete and utter failure…

    • jvaljon1

      YOU WISH, “SaveFarris!”! OUR guy (assuming by that, that you mean the (real) American President; Barack Obama) IS the duly elected President of the United States of America. YOUR GUY IS AN IMPOSTOR WHO SAT IN THE WHITE HOUSE FOR EIGHT LONG YEARS WHILE AMERICAN VOTING MACHINES THREW OUT MOST OF THE VOTES THAT WERE (originally)FOR AL GORE (2000)–and then FOR JOHN KERRY (2004)! It’s the whole Republican party that ought to be in jail, right along with the Bush/Cheney cartel.

      • Dennis

        Why are you shouting, jvaljon1?

        • jvaljon1

          Because your impostor stole the whole damn country from the American public. A bigger theft, there never was anywhere. THAT’S WHY I’M SHOUTING! And it’ll happen again, as long as electronic voting machines are accepted in our elections. I just hope that the next time, WE STEAL THE ELECTION! At least, most Americans are of my persuasion—not yours.

          • Dennis

            Read Ollie’s post on conspiracy theories, Valjean.

          • Libtard

            Val Jeany. You douchebag. Get a fucking clue you obadbreath lover. Are you a minority other than ass packing your boyfriend?

  • Dennis

    CNN: Another Bush Legacy, Fewer Homeless

    - Have you noticed that homelessness isn’t worse? Here we are, living
    through the most protracted joblessness crisis since the Great
    Depression — and surprisingly, fewer people are living on the street.

    The federal Department of Housing and Urban Development reported that the number of the chronically homeless declined by 30% between 2005 and 2007. You might have expected the numbers to spike again when the financial crisis hit but no. Since 2007, the number of chronic homeless has dropped another 19%…..

    http://edition.cnndotcom/2013/04/29/opinion/frum-less-homelessness/index.html

    • jvaljon1

      Well, that’s certainly an…ummm….accomplishment of Bush Jr’s, is it not? He learned how to destroy the prosperity of this country in one fell swoop, by keeping us focused on poor Iraq (as his arbiter for 9.11) and letting his good bud bin Laden off the hook for same. He sold us off to China without batting an eye. He deserves to live the rest of his (hopefully) long life in social isolation that even his “lie-bury” can’t insulate him from…and, he will.

      • Dennis

        Why the love affair with parentheses, jvaljon? Was English an elective in your grade school?

      • Libtard

        Dennis I think Jvaljon wants to be American but is really some QUEER FRENCH jerkoff. He clearly didn’t go to college and guaranteed he is unemployed sitting at home with his buddy Dark Avenger p,aging with each others penis

        • jvaljon1

          Gee….”Dark Avenger” says he’s sure glad that I don’t have a penis! (He also bets that, neither do you, Re–’scuse me, I mean Libtard!) OMG….sorry, I not only was born in America, I went to school….then to college… and I did something I bet that YOU didn’t do—-I GRADUATED!!! Oh (gasp) see you tomorrow; you and your drooling jerk buds’ve made me laugh so hard that I’m gonna need another shot of my asthma meds! I’m going to bed now. “Dark Avenger” is lonely, anyway….LOL! You made my NIGHT, I haven’t laughed so hard in YEARS!!!!! Oh by the way, try to spell my ID right? It’s “jvaljon1″ NOT Jvaljon! You can call me “jval” for short, if the rest is too complicated for you!

          • Dennis

            jvaljon1, what college gave you a diploma allowing you to write in all caps while using so many parentheses, pray tell?

            Or did your college teach you that?

  • blackflon

    Please, Oliver, tell us all about Obama’s qualifications and great accomplishments. Aside from the bin Laden deal,he’s virtually done nothing to help the economy and has helped create a health care disaster that will keep this country in a very slow economy for a long time.

    He’s had no real life experience at anything other than flowery rhetorical speeches.

    And if you think blaming the Republicans will get you off the hook, don’t even bother.

    • dbtheonly

      That’s right, President Obama has been a complete & utter failure. That’s why President Romney won such an overwhelming victory in the election & is leading us on the path of…..

      Oh.

      • http://www.facebook.com/patrick.g.grady Patrick Grady

        Too bad President Kerry couldn’t get re-elected.

        Oh.

        • dbtheonly

          Really, Son of the Auld Sod, get someone to explain humour to you. On your own, you’re rather missing it.

    • Zython

      Aside from the bin Laden deal,he’s virtually done nothing to help the economy

      We’re certainly doing better than those in Europe, which is certainly because we’ve been avoiding the conservatives’ terrible austerity idea. That is, until the sequestration in March, and the damage is already apparent.

      has helped create a health care disaster

      Yeah, poor people getting health care is such a fucking nightmare.

      He’s had no real life experience at anything other than flowery rhetorical speeches.

      Yeah, being part of the Harvard Law Review, Senator, and PotUS sure is a lack of life experience. Tell me again, how’s your meth emporium doing?

      And if you think blaming the Republicans will get you off the hook, don’t even bother.

      I don’t remember Obama calling for the government not to pay its bills. I’d ask if you did, but you probably “remember” lots of weird shit.

      • blackflon

        Yeah sure, the economy is roaring right along.
        Most poor people are poor because of the choices
        they have made in life.

        Harvard Law Review and being a Senator. Tell me
        again what are his accomplishments.

        The sequestration was Obama’s idea. He got exactly what he wanted.

        • Zython

          Yeah sure, the economy is roaring right along.

          Like I said, it’s recovered hell of a lot better than the countries in Europe that pushed for austerity.

          Most poor people are poor because of the choices they have made in life.

          Have you ever talked to a poor person before?

          The sequestration was Obama’s idea. He got exactly what he wanted.

          Wait, so the whole debt ceiling debacle was Obama’s idea, and not the Republicans holding the economy hostage? Uh huh.

          Are you paid to be this stupid or something?

          • blackflon

            You’re insults make you look foolish. But I will engage you one more time anyway.

            #1 We aren’t Europe

            #2. I didn’t say ALL poor people. Yes, I have talked to poor people. I’ve been poor. Made so by my own actions.

            #3. No the sequestration was his idea. The Republicans are holding nothing hostage. You notice how quick they fixed the FAA problem. It’s all a sham by the White House in an attempt to accuse Republicans of doing something they aren’t doing because there is an election coming up.

            You’re boy, Obama is a fake, a fraud, a lousy leader and entirely unqualified to hold the office of President.

          • Zython

            #1 We aren’t Europe

            So I’m not allowed to compare two similar economic models because they aren’t 100% identical? Seems to me that you’re demanding an unmeetable burden of proof in order to satisfy your preconceived notions in spite of the evidence that lays before you.

            #2. I didn’t say ALL poor people. Yes, I have talked to poor people. I’ve been poor. Made so by my own actions.

            I will give you that you were probably poor because of your bad choices.

            #3. No the sequestration was his idea.

            1. I’m just trying to imagine what universe you were living in when you saw Obama come up with sequestration out of the ether, and forced the Republican Congress to pass it.

            2. The sequestration is what contains the spending cuts that you guys were lusting after. But now you’ve discovered that the government actually does things, some things you like, and suddenly it’s the worst thing in the world. Sound more like you all not liking the taste of your own medicine.

            The Republicans are holding nothing hostage.

            You don’t remember 2011, when the Republicans wanted the U.S. to stop paying its bills and destroy the economy?

            You notice how quick they fixed the FAA problem.

            That’s because that affected them personally. You notice how they didn’t fix any of the other problems with sequestration?

            It’s all a sham by the White House in an attempt to accuse Republicans of doing something they aren’t doing because there is an election coming up.

            What? The next midterm is in 18 months. Do you really think people are going to remember something that happened 18 months ago, especially when you can’t?

            Seriously, you’re making this too easy.

          • jvaljon1

            OMG, Zython, STOP! Wait so I can get my asthma meds and be able to read these posts w’out choking to death laughing…..

          • Libtard

            Black flown,

            These libtards are just jealous that we have jobs, support hector sexual marriage and are capable of intellectual conversation. They are all suck on tit of government, unemployed, mostly queer jerkoffs.

          • jvaljon1

            What’s that you said, Libtard? “Black flown,….these libtards are just jealous that we have jobs, support hector sexual marriage(!?) and are capable of intellectual conversation…They are all suck on tit of government…”

            OH LOL….You DIDN’T say that?! (Oh s#it—YOU DID!) So much for cutting school funds, where you came from!!!

            OMG…you’re KILLING ME! PLEASE don’t make me laugh this hard, I CAN’T TAKE IT, LibRETARD!!! Please please please, Re–’scuse me–Libtard! —Go back to your meth lab and sample some of your daily output, you might make more sense that way! OH LOL, ROTFLMAONO! ROTFLM(F)AO (take an extra hit of that meth you love so much, and try to figure out what that second “F” stands for)!!!

            I, too, support “hector sexual marriage”! (In fact, I KNOW that I do, cause I’ve been in one now for close to 30 years, LOL!) But I see no reason, why GAYS can’t have the ‘joys’ of marriage, too?! Why shouldn’t GAYS end up as miserable as most heteros do: after, say, TEN YEARS OF MARRIAGE?! What’s that they say—every OTHER MARRIAGE (and here they do mean ‘hetero’s) END IN DIVORCE AFTER 5-7 YEARS TOPS?! Maybe the Homo’s can BETTER THAT AVERAGE? Maybe you’re just SCARED TO FIND OUT?

            In any case, let me tell you, “hector sexual marriage” is the ONLY KIND OF MARRIAGE THAT HETEROSEXUALS SHOULD EVER ENGAGE IN…LOL! Cause for sure—the GAYS can’t do much worse at marriage, than the hetero’s manage to do!!!

          • Dennis

            Thanks for the all caps, jvaljon1. It lets us all know what a rebel you are, and how serious of a thinker you are. That’s important for liberals.

          • jvaljon1

            LOL, DENNIS! You’re welcome! (Don’t you just l-o-o-v-e, to see your name in all caps?? S-u-u-r-e you do!) As for rebellion, I only rebel against unelected monsters like Dirty Dick, and his sidekick Bush Jr., in the White House. Yes…as a loyal American, that IS important for me. ( And countless others, as well)…

          • Libtard

            Hey JVALJON1 , you ass wife. What is your problem. Too many boughs with Les Miserables? Fruit cake. You are a loyal ass wife who knows nothing about anything. In fact, I know you have been fudgepacking again. Your boyfriend Mambo #5 told me you like it in the old corn hole like all your libtard friends. Just admit it

          • jvaljon1

            Ass Wives? Mambo #5? OK, that second one’s, most likely a Pen Name for a Musician. But… Ass Wives? It’s not in the Dictionary, I can tell you that! And— what is a Corn Hole? I only ask, because I’ve been allergic to Corn my whole life long. (Though I know that Some People, enjoy it mightily!) You must be one of those, and so go ahead, explain to me what a Corn Hole is. Sounds like something you really enjoy! Oh, and you have a tree upon whose Boughs you hang your copy of Les Miserables? How—umm…ORIGINAL of you! Sorry for the caps, but there are so many other ways I could have described you, REtard, that I’m kind of proud of that one!

            Now. The only People who I ever saw Pack Fudge, worked in a Candy Factory! Somehow I don’t quite think that was your meaning! If it wasn’t, you can describe Exactly what Fudge Packing is? Is it something that a Woman could do? Ah, but my Blood sugar’s too high. (Probably, why I still have all my Teeth, at my advanced ’50-ish’ age, LOL!)

            Love to stay and chat some more, REtard, but it’s late and I’m tired.

          • Libtard

            Hey King John Les Mis, wow did you really right 4 paragraphs about 1 misspelling. You really are a libtard asshole, aren’t you? You definitely are not hector sexual. In fact, you clearly admits that you take it in the asshole. You fucking scum bag. Get a life, a job and a slender boyfriend queer fuck

          • jvaljon1

            No, LOL! I am not a hector sexual, whatever that is. And, (alas for you, ReTard!) I do have a virgin ass. This, Moronic One, is because I’m a W O M A N!!! Something I’d guess (from the way you talk) that you’ve steered well clear of, for pretty much all your life! Just a guess and I could be wrong, but that’s how you come off on this board. By the way…is your boyfriend named Hector, by any chance?

          • jvaljon1

            Yeah, when you compare our beloved President Obama to the Bush/Cheney cartel, you see how he is “a fake, a fraud, and entirely unqualified to hold the office of President.” But you see….he DID kill bin Laden, (who attacked this country, on 9/11, as badly as did the Japanese during Pearl Harbor in 1942)…something that the Bush/Cheney cartel was totally UNWILLING to do. (Rather, they started a war with the ONE COUNTRY OF THE MIDDLE EAST WHICH HAD NEVER EVER HURT US—IRAQ!) Or are you going to try to insist that Bush/Cheney WOULD have had their best bud bin Laden (“House of Bush, House of Saud, by Craig Unger” [and bin Laden WAS A SAUDI CITIZEN]) brought to trial for the slaughter of our 3,000 citizens in the WTC on 9/11??? Do you??!!! Don’t even TRY to get by with that one. And while we’re at it?

            Don’t EVER try to justify the Bush reign, which gave bin Laden, eight GLORIOUS YEARS as the Saudi HERO who struck a blow against the American Jews who supported the State of Israel after Americans let Hitler all but decimate them. “Never again”, said the Jews, and America supported them. This, bin Laden could not stand. So, for the cowardly attack on America on 9/11, he was idolized as a hero by the Saudis and other Arabs. Whoop-te-do.

            At least OUR PRESIDENT, Barack Obama, knows how to deal with most of America’s enemies, with the possible exception of the Republican party. YOURS, (the Bush/Cheney cartel), only KNEW HOW TO JOIN WITH THEM. Don’t even DARE to try to deny it, BlackFart or whatever you’re calling yourself these days; you unAmerican, disgusting RETARD!

          • Dennis

            Wow, you should post this over on Ben Cohen’s ‘Comment Porn’ thread, jvaljon1.

            Seriously.

          • jvaljon1

            I never heard of a ‘Comment Porn’ thread, Dennis, but it seems like you are quite familiar with it yourself, so I’ll pass if you don’t mind.

          • Libtard

            Zython. No one has to pay you. You are just flat out f’ing stupid. Enjoy Jason’s butt crack tonight flamer

          • Guest

            What’s the matter? Upset you lost your life savings investing in Bitcoins?

          • jvaljon1

            OMG, Guest….QUIT; I can’t stop laughing!!! Between Retard and Blackfling, MY CHEST HURTS! STOP!!!!

          • Libtard

            30 years married to a dude and you use emoticons? You are a 50 something, unemployable libtard asshole. Perfect for this site. Can’t wait for Jeb Bush 2016. FU libtard

          • jvaljon1

            Awww….shucks, you wouldn’t understand. Hey—you’re the libtard—(I call you a RE-tard which is probably way more accurate—) why are you calling ME the ‘libtard’? Oh—keep on waiting. It won’t be Jeb in 2016, it’ll (attempt) to be, his half/Mex son Prescott G. Bush. I’m already smoothing his way with my Mexican friends, (LOL!) and that moron Ted Cruz (replaced Sen Kay Bailey Hutchison) is–despite his name; no friend to any of the Latinos I know, so I don’t think that Prescott Jr. will get very far with them, either. I’ve already clued them in, how he’s gonna try to ‘rehabilitate’ the “Bush name”; and how he EXPECTS them to BELIEVE WHAT HE SAYS, and EXPECTS them to actually VOTE FOR HIM because his MOM is Mexican (OK, she married BENEATH HERSELF, becoming Jeb’s wife, but lots of gals do that…)!

            Gee. Don’t you wish you hadn’t dropped out of school in
            your youth, Retard???

    • jvaljon1

      You lying moronic pig, there’s no one to blame for this country’s disasters, EVER SINCE 2000—BUT REPUBLICANS! Awww…your snide assertion to the contrary “Aside from the bin Laden deal” Yeah. A REAL AMERICAN SENT OUR FORCES TO KILL BushBuddy Osama bin Laden, family friend to all Bushes for the past generation—he even tried to teach the criminally drunk drooler who was stuck in the White House when the WTC was attacked by the Saudis–thanks for reminding me to say “Thank you, President Obama. It’s good when there’s a REAL AMERICAN LIKE YOURSELF at the helm of our country. The WTC would have NEVER been avenged by that slimeball Bush Jr. It took a REAL AMERICAN to do that—maybe that’s why Republicans tried to smear our great President’s American origins, from jump. No maybe—DEFINITELY.

      Thanks again, Mr. President (Obama)—Americans love, respect and admire you as much as they feel the REVERSE for your sleazy predecessor! As a former New Yorker whose daughter worked in the WTC from 1992 to 1996, I’m so glad that you had Bush’s best friend, Osama bin Laden, rolled up and dumped into the ocean. Too bad that Bush didn’t go with him, or that evil skeezehead, Bush’s VP, Dirty Dick Cheney!

      • Libtard

        Hey douche bag,

        Get a clue Bush is the best President to ever run MY great country. You and all your loser but plug boyfriend libtards need to understand that obadbreath didn’t capture and kill bin laden. It was Bush baby. No one gives 15 shits about you or your queer ass boyfriend and adopted kids that will never be normal because they walked in on you fudgepacking your lover. What a disgrace.

        Jeb Bush 2016

        P.S. how about obadbreaths involvement in Boston bombing 2 weeks ago. He is as much an asshole as you are.

        • jvaljon1

          Uh…where is YOUR great country? It sure isn’t America—that’s MY great country. And….what’s that you say? BUSH killed bin Laden???? OMG, what HAVE you been smoking?! Must be too much for your tiny minds that an ACTUAL AMERICAN PRESIDENT killed the man who attacked America, when your fake president Bush refused ON NATIONAL TV, to even go looking for him! As for the Boston bombing? You not only live in a different country from mine—you must live on a whole different PLANET! Moron Planet, that’s what we’ll call it, LOL! OMG, here comes Dark Avenger to drag me away to bed! Byeee

  • http://www.facebook.com/people/Gaby-Leander/1791866590 Gaby Leander

    right its true

  • http://www.facebook.com/people/Mickey-Bitsko/100003815336222 Mickey Bitsko

    Leave this liberal out of your thesis.

  • http://www.facebook.com/patrick.g.grady Patrick Grady

    I’m surprised Ol’ Froth hasn’t commented yet. Because that’s all this post is.

    • http://frothslosh.typepad.com/ Ol Froth

      I’m not sure I understand your comment or your referencing of me.

      • http://www.facebook.com/patrick.g.grady Patrick Grady

        Comedy 101: Never explain the joke.

        • Zython

          That means the joke should explain itself, not that any cryptic bullshit you spew out is comedy as long as you refuse to explain it.

          • http://www.facebook.com/patrick.g.grady Patrick Grady

            U still mad, bro?

            Don’t blame me for your lack of intelligence. The joke’s plain as day for anyone with a working brain. Oh…what? Oops, sorry.

            Never mind.

          • Zython

            Took you 3 hours to come up with that one. I’d say don’t quit your day job, but you’re probably just as terrible at that, too.

          • http://www.facebook.com/patrick.g.grady Patrick Grady

            Sorry, but I just can’t keep up the pace with you unemployed folk. Gotta pay taxes to keep you welfare queens fed.

          • drsquid

            If you really had a job, I could just send those two sentences in as your writing sample, and as an example of what you do on your on hours. Since you don’t, what’s the point?

          • Libtard

            Zython, go back to gaming and stealing others users id’s. you are better at that. You are a forging butt cake obadbreath lover. FU

          • Zython

            Seems Dennis has opened up yet another alt account to spread his slurs with impunity. Can’t say I’m surprised, really.

          • http://frothslosh.typepad.com/ Ol Froth

            Joke? You typed two sentences.
            1: I’m surprised Ol’Froth hasn’t commented yet.
            2: Because that’s all this post is.
            The two sentences have no seeming relationship to the post, and the second one makes no sense. Why were you surprised I hadn’t commented? While I may be a regular, I’m not really a frequent commentator.
            Your second sentence is more of a sentence fragment. What, exactly, are you trying to say? Are you implying that all the comments are somewhat like the comments I might make? If that’s what you think, you really need to hit the archives.

            If you’re trying to make a joke, and no one understands it, the failure isn’t on the recipients’ end, its on yours.

          • http://www.facebook.com/patrick.g.grady Patrick Grady

            Well if you’re dying to know, I could give you a hint or two. Just say so.

          • http://frothslosh.typepad.com/ Ol Froth

            Have at it then. I suspect your explaination will be even more incoherant than your orginal post.

          • http://www.facebook.com/patrick.g.grady Patrick Grady

            Your name: Ol Froth.
            Oliver’s post: Old. Froth.
            “Coherant” enough for ya?

          • dbtheonly

            Coherent? Yes.
            Correct? No.
            Damn Auto-correct? Yes.
            Dis on Ol? No.

          • http://frothslosh.typepad.com/ Ol Froth

            It might be on point if Bush weren’t in the news, but seeing how there is much ink being spilled on the opening of his presidential library, and how Bill Clinton and President Obama were there saying nice things about him (hence the post), the “joke” such as it is, falls flat.

          • dbtheonly

            Ol,

            The Bush story seemed to deserve the minor coverage it got. & after the Boston Bombings & Texas Explosion; I saw the story as a “feel good” one to publish.

            Then we should address the question of how much credence we should give statements about a politician when they open his library (or when he dies). It strikes me that politeness requires generosity at such times.

          • http://frothslosh.typepad.com/ Ol Froth

            No argument from me on that point db, just responding to Patrick’s poor attempt at humor and/or criticism of Oliver’s post.

          • Libtard

            Hi Frothy. How are your tits?

          • dbtheonly

            Dennis,
            Are you playing the “Oi” games again?
            Didn’t you learn from the last time?

          • Libtard

            No DB. I am playing hide the pickle with Frothy

          • dbtheonly

            You know Dennis,

            Einstein said the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over & expecting a different outcome.

          • jvaljon1

            And it’s the Republicans who always want to cut school funds…notice that, Patrick?

  • http://twitter.com/WaveFoundation WaveFoundation

    Obama is quoted saying the following “Bush is a good guy” You know, let’s get right down to it. What does it matter what Bush is responsible for,Oliver? If our current new wave of political leaders don’t even hold him responsible, what hope is there? Vincent Bugliosi had that brilliant book indicting Bush on War Crimes, no one responded. Bob from Super Beans personally sent a copy to every D.A. in the country & he raised the funds himself! What is the point? We had the protests,evidence & still crickets. NOT one DA responded.

  • kfreed

    “Why Are Liberals So Soft On George W. Bush?”

    Because it’s not nice to pick on the mentally challenged? I dunno. I don’t know any who look upon him kindly. He even made his own daddy cry.

  • drsquid

    Cheney was a complete nonentity during the second term. No one forced Bush to take the side against Michael Schiavo or to privatize Social Security. Say, and where was Cheney during Katrina? Does anyone really care?

    You could say that Cheney had some hand in the misdeeds of the first term. The even worse second term was all Shrub.

  • JozefAL

    To answer the headline question, perhaps the answer lies somewhere in the same vicinity as the alleged liberals who roundly decried all the “glee” that accompanied Thatcher’s death a couple of weeks ago. Even more, perhaps with the “liberals” who went out of their way claiming they “never” took pleasure in someone’s death (while typically ending that sentiment with “but I’d make an exception for…..” with bin Laden’s name being the most frequently mentioned).

    But SOME of us don’t feel any sympathy for Dubya. I may–MAY–feel some sympathy when Bush the Elder finally shuffles off this mortal coil, but I absolutely will NOT regret–not even for an instance–Dubya’s death. I won’t go so far as to say it will be “long overdue” or “well-deserved” but I certainly won’t feel a moment of grief over that bastard’s death given his own utter lack of sympathy for anyone else’s feelings. Whether his political grandstanding over 9/11 or the lack of empathy for the victims of Katrina or the 152 people who were executed during his time as governor (somewhat interestingly, the only person who received clemency from Dubya was the serial killer, Henry Lee Lucas–gives us a bit of insight into Dubya’s mental state).

    • Libtard

      Man you are really fucking mentally deranged, aren’t you? You haven’t got a clue about anything? How about obadbreaths terrible dealings with Sandy and Boston and Gitmo and Dirtbags like you and hector sexual wanna be queers and Benghazi and obadbreath are and his awful smell

      • jvaljon1

        On this planet, President Obama dealt quite handily with the damage that Hurricane Sandy did to the East Coast states, most of all New Jersey. The death rate of Sandy—thanks to President Obama—was NOTHING LIKE what happened in New Orleans in 2005. Contrast what President Obama did when Hurricane Sandy struck New Jersey just last year—with the NOTHING that your boy Bush did, when Katrina struck New Orleans in 2005 and the levees overflowed, drowning a major American city and killing a couple thousand people or so.

  • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1655290390 Steven Skelton

    That headline is completely out of touch with reality. It’s like asking why the oceans are so dry.

  • http://www.facebook.com/vickie.duncan.77 Vickie Duncan

    Don’t look at me. I will NEVER forget the trauma he put this entire nation through. Especially hearing him say not that he doesn’t feel the need to defend his actions. Tell that to the maimed survivors of his idiotic wars of choice, and the survivors of Katrina, It is most important that we NOT forgive and forget, just in case another Bush brother or some other Republican nutball decides to run for office.
    I will cop to feelng just a little bit sorry for W. He knows nobody in his party wants anything to do with him.

    • jvaljon1

      OK, Vickie Duncan, then get ready for the NEW Bush “offering” to this poor country. Jeb Bush, IS NOT GOING TO RUN. Got that? He’s not. What is he doing, though, he and Bro George? They’re GROOMING Jeb’s son, Prescott G. Bush, to take over the reins in America. They’re waiting, and THAT’S WHY Bush’s crimes haven’t been prosecuted. They’re waiting to have another go at the White House. Here’s how:

      Prescott, son of Jeb, is a good-looking young guy. Jeb’s wife is Mexican, so Prescott is half-and-half. Here’s the real interesting thing about Prescott—he’s named after the FIRST Bush to discover oil in the Badlands, and profit off of same. Prescott is who’s being GROOMED for politics. Jeb wants him to, either in Fla (which Jeb runs) OR TX, which has just seen the opening of Jeb’s older bro. George’s LieBury—as Railroad Commissioner. That’s a great political position—you meet everyone who’s anyone in your party who can help you with your future plans. Prescott is going to be groomed as the next Bush Prez’dunt (scuse me, I mean President!)

      Anyone want to BET ME ON THIS ONE? C’mon…I could use the money…(Got lots of little nieces & nephews with birthdays coming up…) ANYONE?

      OK. Remember this, when the (breathlessly) GREAT NEWS comes over the wires, that young Prescott Bush is gonna be Railroad Commissioner! First steps are often the hardest, and that’s gonna be his. He, though (thanks to his mother) speaks FLUENT SPANISH, and they’re looking to him to capture the HISPANIC VOTE of today’s HISPANIC KIDS WHO ARE GROWING UP HERE.

      You heard it here first….

      • Libtard

        Just call obadbreath and ask him for money. Tell him you are a towel head, queer and unemployed with a big penis and he will send you a check I am sure

  • Christopher Foxx

    They claim that he was a puppet, a tool of other, craftier forces. Most often Cheney is invoked as the man behind the curtain, who used Bush to achieve his evil goals.

    Wrong.

    Absolutely agree with you there, Oliver.

    If Bush was influenced, even controlled, by other folks it doesn’t absolve him one whit from responsibility. If he let others control him it was a choice he made. He is no less responsible.

  • Buzz Killington

    I don’t think I’ve come across such a liberal, myself.

    • dbtheonly

      Buzz, agree. The headline assumes facts which are by no means self-evident. Unless Oliver’s using the nice things said about the guy at the opening of his library.
      For me, Bush Jr. is really just yesterday’s news. More irrelevant than anything else.

      • jvaljon1

        No. None of the Bush family is irrelevant. Read mine to Vickie Duncan, responding to hers of the 24th (or 25th) or so, ago…

        • dbtheonly

          If you’re referencing you post about grooming Prescott for high office, you made a solid argument. I can’t help thinking though, that Jeb’s going to take a shot in ’16.

    • jvaljon1

      You sure as hell haven’t, Buzz. Nor will you ever. That wouldn’t be a liberal, that’d be the dumbest fool that the CONS ever produced, and they’ve given us some beauts! I’m THE biggest Liberal going, and in my circles I don’t know any who’d forgive this complete, drug-addicted, dry-drunk LIAR, our former President Bush Jr.

  • Dennis

    Slowly, liberals are starting to wake up to the ineffectiveness of Obama and realizing that in comparison, Bush was actually much better than they though just a few years ago. Their respective approval ratings are now nearly identical…amazing when you think about it considering the media’s continuing love affair with Obama.

    • Christopher Foxx

      liberals are starting to wake up to the ineffectiveness of Obama and realizing that in comparison, Bush was actually much better than they though just a few years ago.

      Welcome to Dennisworld. Where lies are truth.

      • Dennis

        Oh, many of them are, Christopher, it’s just that scant few have the stones or the intellectual honesty to admit it out of fear of retribution from other liberals.

        • Zython

          Oh, many of them are, Christopher,

          Wow, Dennis admitting his “truths” are, in fact, lies. It takes a lot of guts to admit that you’re full of shit. So congratulations, Dennis, on taking your first step on becoming a sane, functional human being.

          • Dennis

            What are you caterwauling about again, Identity Thief Zython?

            That’s not an admission, it’s a contradiction to his claim.

        • Christopher Foxx

          liberals are starting to … [realize] … Bush was actually much better than they thought just a few years ago.

          And liberals are also starting to realize that trees cause pollution, concentrating wealth spreads it around, Obama is the head of al qaeda and the Easter Bunny is real (the claims that he’s just an imaginary figure being part of the War-on- Christmas conspiracy from the liberal-controlled MSM.)

    • Buzz Killington

      I wouldn’t go nearly so far, but I suppose Obama’s continuation/expansion of some of Bush’s policies, particularly those despised by liberals at the time (e.g. drones, spying, secrecy) may come into play. It’s plausible that in a cognitive dissonance “choice” between Obama being bad because of spying, or Bush being not so bad because of spying, many liberals would “choose” the latter option.

      Assuming this notion is actually a thing in the first place, that is.

      • Dennis

        Fair point.

      • Christopher Foxx

        Obama has been disappointing in several areas. His willingness to continue policies from the Bush administration and unwillingness to treat Republicans with the disdain they deserve are very disappointing.

        But recognizing areas where one disagrees with Obama is not (as Dennis would have it) deciding Bush was anything other than a horrendous President.

        • Dennis

          Given that their approval ratings are nearly identical, that completely biased assessment makes no sense.

          • mambochicken

            Yes, because comparing the approval ratings of a sitting president and one who’s been out of office for 5 years is totally valid.

          • Dennis

            Would that be cruel irony to point out that you guys seemed to do that on a near-daily basis with Clinton when Bush was President, mambo?

            Or would you say that was a tu quoque?

            Meanwhile, Peggy Noonan channels her inner Dennis…

            The Presidential Wheel Turns
            Diassafection for Bush gave us Obama. That explains the new affection for Bush.

            http://m.us.wsjdotcom/articles/a/SB10001424127887323789704578445232153839720?mg=reno64-wsj

          • mambochicken

            Yawn. Do you ever take any responsibility for your own behavior, or are your actions entirely contingent on your perception of the behavior of others?

            By the way, I don’t know what the fuck you’re talking about. It might be true that there were frequent comparisons between the past approval ratings of Clinton (i.e., while he was in office) to the then-present approval ratings of Bush (i.e., while he was in office), but I don’t remember many people drawing the comparison between the two at a single point in time, like you’re doing now.

            Peggy Noonan is a fucking hack in the guise of a “very serious person.”

            TL;DR version: Shut the fuck up, Dennis

          • Dennis

            Hey, classy response, mambo. As always.

            Never stop trying to raise the bar.

          • mambochicken

            Dennis, the things you have said on this blog over the years have put you in a position where you are beneath contempt. You draw a really stupid comparison (“hey guys, look, Obama and Bush have equal approval ratings right now!”), thinking that it’s valid or that it validates Bush in some way, and I called it out as being stupid.

            No apologies for my colorful language – if you don’t like it, you can fuck off. I’m not inclined to give you the benefit of the doubt anymore or treat you as though you should be respected. You have never shown a willingness to argue in good faith, and you reap what you sow.

          • Libtard

            Mambo #5, your back? Still don’t have a life though do you. What is wrong with you and all your libtards?

          • mambochicken

            I don’t own any libtards.

          • Libtard

            Still stalking Ollie’s blog are you? You really need to get a life. Mambo # 5. Bush2016. Can’t wait to get rid of obadbreath

          • jvaljon1

            Yeah. Bush Jr, Jeb’s handsome, fully SPANISH SPEAKING, half-Mexican son. Prescott G. Bush, Jr. Can’t wait for the REVOLT TO BEGIN, and the Bush’s to be warned, “not again. Not EVER again”: this time, by the CHILDREN of the very Mexicans that they will be trying to cultivate—and who already know, that you can never trust even a half-Mexican Bush.

          • Zython

            Quit whining. No one’s ever died of a bruised ego.

          • Christopher Foxx

            Dennis says something he knows is stupid.

            Dennis gets told what he said is stupid.

            Dennis tries to grab the high ground and complain about people pointing out he’s said something stupid.

          • Dennis

            I’d love to go back to the Wild, Wild West days, Christopher.

            mambo is a disingenuous phony, though. He left here along with several other regulars over a year ago in a huff, complaining about how things were here, and how Oliver was just phoning it. All it takes is a thread on the Iraq War or Bush’s legacy to bring him back from lurking status. And when he does, he acts like he’s been here all along, only he’s above the rules Ben asked everyone to abide by.

            My post was right on-topic and valid; Bush’s approval rating now is a fair comparison to make given that it’s right back to the average of his entire term, back to close to 50%, and trending upward, and identical to Obama’s number that he’s been withing a few percentage points for the last 2-3 years.

          • Christopher Foxx

            Dennis: My post was right on-topic and valid; Bush’s approval rating now is a fair comparison to make

            It’s already been pointed out, repeatedly, how comparing poll numbers for a sitting President to those of an ex-President is meaningless. Dennis, with his desperate need to see reality as what he wants it to be rather than what it really is fully intact, continues to tell himself it’s a valid comparison.

            Pity him.

          • Dennis

            how comparing poll numbers for a sitting President to those of an ex-President is meaningless.

            Who else would you compare a sitting president’s poll numbers to?

            You don’t want to compare them because you don’t want to have to explain why they’re comparable. And If they’re meaningless, tell that to the thousands of journalists, pundits, politicians and bloggers who compare sitting presidents’ approval numbers to those of past presidents all the time.

          • mambochicken

            Dennis: Jimmy Carter’s approval ratings were in the 60s from the late 1990′s to mid-2000′s, higher than Bush’s for a good amount of Jr’s presidency. As late as 2010, it was above 50%. Are you willing to say that this means ANYTHING AT ALL?

            I eagerly await your non-answer. Will it be:
            a) Look over there?
            b) Silence?
            c) Non-sequitur?
            d) More than one of the above?

          • Christopher Foxx

            Dennis: Who else would you compare a sitting president’s poll numbers to?

            That’s also already been answered.

            More of Dennis being stupid on purpose.

          • Libtard

            I would take a 1,000,000 Dennis’s before one of you. You are a whiny little libtard

          • Zython

            I would take a 1,000,000 Dennis’s before one of you.

            Well, to be fair, that would be about how many alt accounts he has.

          • Dennis

            Zython the admitted identity thief makes bogus accusation of something he was caught red-handed doing himself.

            Shocking.

            Exactly what you did before, Zython. Libtard is probably you and now you’re throwing up a smokescreen, like that Dutschke guy, and the Backwards B woman.

          • Zython

            Awfully defensive, aren’t we?

          • Dennis

            If you’re Libtard, that’s exactly what you would do, Zython. Since stealing identities is your stock in trade, which you’ve admitted to, that just comes naturally to you.

          • Zython

            Whatever, I don’t have to prove anything to you. I’m not the guy who had to make a new account after getting banned.

          • Libtard

            You are the asshole who steals identities. Just a 25 year old punk who is a libtard because his parents are. You have no idea what happened during Iraq War or 9-11. You were 14 years old. Stop acting like an asshole and move on gamer fag

          • mambochicken

            mambo is a disingenuous phony, though. He left here along with several other regulars over a year ago in a huff, complaining about how things were here,

            Liar.

            Bush’s approval rating now is a fair comparison to make given that it’s right back to the average of his entire term

            Because the average over his eight years is clearly the most accurate descriptor of his approval rating. Never mind the precipitous drop over the last 4-5 years. /snark

            My post was right on-topic and valid

            Presidential approval ratings tend to go up after the individual leaves office. This is the crux of the reason why it’s asinine to compare Bush’s approval rating at this point in time with Obama’s. It’s fucking nonsense.

          • Dennis

            Liar.

            You left here, mambo. And not before taking a last parting shot when you did voicing your displeasure. What brings you back is Oliver’s old stand-by of bashing Bush with the same barbs and pot-shots that he always uses, knowing that brings the lurkers like you out of the woodwork. So you come back and right away start breaking the rules that were instituted for the same reasons you complained about why you left in the first place. That’s phoniness defined.

            Bush’s approval ratings now, having climbed up to where Obama’s are now is meaningful on a blog where the blogger laments that liberals have gone too soft on Bush. It shows that it’s not just some liberals that have rethought their position on his presidency..

          • mambochicken

            You’re a liar, Dennis. I haven’t been commenting, that’s true, but I defy you to find my “parting shot.” Additionally, I actually did try to comment in the past, but was having the same troubles as others here had. I certainly wasn’t going to comment via Facebook or anything like that.

            Additionally, no, I don’t care what context it is in, comparing the approval ratings for a man 5 years out of office to a current President is really fucking stupid. It’s a comparison that tells you very little of importance. Given that Jimmy Carter’s approval rating was around 60% during the second half of Bush’s term, how do you reconcile your position? Would you have claimed, in 2006, that Carter’s presidency actually was very effective and popular? Or, alternatively, would you have claimed that people just lost sight of how bad it was?

          • Dennis

            The end of Carter’s term to 2006 was 26 years, mambo.

            The end of Bush’s term to today is a little over 4 years.

            Apples to oranges.

            For Bush to go from where he was when he left office 4 years ago to where he is today is significant. And obviously a source of profound consternation to many on the left.

          • mambochicken

            So you agree that you’re a liar, Dennis? Good to see you concede the point.

            Additionally, this latest comment encapsulates the reasons why everyone hates you. You assert, through fiat, that making a comparison of two ex-Presidents’ approval ratings is invalid because one has been out of office longer than the other; simultaneously, you argue that comparing an ex-President’s approval ratings with a sitting President’s is totally valid.

            Jackass: The latter comparison is one of apples to oranges. The former comparison is of apples to slightly larger apples.

            Quit being stupid.

          • Libtard

            Mambo #5. You are a bait and switch kind of jag off huh? Your argument is pointless and Bush is surging in popularity. Wait till Syria makes a move and your boy obadbreath gets ousted. He is such an asshole. Just like you

          • dbtheonly

            mambo, The idea of approval polls for former Presidents confuses me. Would the questions be, “Since leaving office do you approve or disapprove of the actions of former President G W Bush?” I’ve got to say that I approve the actions of former President Bush. Fussing over his first grandchild? Approve. Painting pictures of himself in the shower? Odd, call me undecided. Writing a book about how he was right all along? Disapprove but neither unusual or unexpected. Generally keeping a low profile as President Obama tries to clean up the mess he left? Approve.

          • Christopher Foxx

            Dennis: Would that be cruel irony to point out that you guys seemed to do that on a near-daily basis with Clinton when Bush was President, mambo?

            In typical fashion, Dennis resorts to a claim of “But look at what you guys did!”.

            I knew Dennis couldn’t get thru a thread without looking over there.

          • Christopher Foxx

            Dennis: that completely biased assessment makes no sense

            That “completely biased” assessment where I said Obama has been disappointing? Yeah, my pro-Obama bias is showing.

            Disappointment in Obama doesn’t equate to approval of Bush. Your initial statement that it does is flat out wrong.

        • Buzz Killington

          Logically, you are absolutely correct. However, most people do not think very deeply, and are not so logical, especially about politics. Besides, like I said, I was just throwing something out there about a hypothetical I’m not even sure really exists.

    • kfreed

      You mean the ineffectiveness of Congress, thanks to GOP record obstruction.

      I think it’s hilarious that Republicans were so ashamed of Dubya, they all put on tricorn hats and stated identifying as “independent” libertarians. Even worse, but nobody ever accused Republicans of being overly bright or the least bit self aware.

      • dbtheonly

        Remember the large role GW Bush was given at the last Republican Convention. Did you see the commemorative film? The glowing tributes to his leadership & vision? Or did you see his stirring speech endorsing Mitt Romney?

        Jeb Bush was on Letterman some time ago. Letterman offered him this slogan, “Bush for President. This time will be different. Really.” Jeb had the graciousness to laugh.

        • jvaljon1

          This time WILL be different. Jeb didn’t mention grooming his eldest son, fluent Spanish-speaking Prescott G Bush Jr,. for the new Republican candidate in 2016. (Don’t worry. I too speak fluent Spanish, and I’ve been warning all my Mexican friends what’s coming on down in 2016. “Now,” I say to them all, “they have taught born native LIARS, how to speak fluent Spanish.”) When they laugh, I don’t. I tell them to wait for young, half-Mexican Prescott G. Bush—-Mexican in speech only. A liar like the entire rest of the whole Bush family: only Prescott, because his mother is Latina, can lie fluently in TWO languages, instead of just only in English.

          “They won’t be going after YOU,” I tell my friends…. “they’ll be going after YOUR CHILDREN’S VOTES, in 2016 and then later on, in 2020. With 2018 to grab all the States they can, in the meantime. Warn YOUR KIDS TO NEVER EVER VOTE REPUBLICAN…”

    • http://www.facebook.com/hugos.lavia.37 Hugo S LaVia

      As Prince wrote and Sinead O’Connor sang – Nothing Compares To U …

    • jvaljon1

      Let’s for the sake or argument, agree with you for a moment or so. President Obama is not ineffective—that soubriquet, belongs to the Republican Congress, and those few backbiting, bought Dem Senators. We The People—ALL COLORS OF US—LOVE our President Obama, and DESPISE Mitch McConnell and his flunkies in the Republican Party.

  • http://www.facebook.com/david.latona David Latona

    Oliver, you need to do some Bush-bashing more often (maybe a monthly feature?), like in the olden days. People really do forgive and forget after a couple of years… the media, of course, predisposing the public to mantain the attention span of a hyperactive 4-year-old. Other than that, completely agree. That sunovabitch should be painting his pictures in the Hague, along with his top-level lackeys (Rumsfeld maybe we could let loose in the streets of Mosul). Darth Cheney has already suffered enough by falling into that lava in Mustafar some time ago.

    • http://www.oliverwillis.com/ Oliver Willis

      You’re probably right, but I get too mad while I do it.

    • Zython

      Speaking of paintings, I found it interesting that all of Bush’s paintings were of his bathroom. Lady Macbeth syndrome, anyone?

      • Christopher Foxx

        I doubt Bush has the mental capacity to recognize what he’s done, or the empathy to feel bad about it.

        Certainly didn’t demonstrate much of either while in office. No reason to think he’d do so now.

        • Zython

          Certainly didn’t demonstrate much of either while in office.

          Neither did the eponymous queen.

          • Christopher Foxx

            True. But Bush has had years since his fuckups to reflect and I’ve seen nothing to suggest he’s any more self-aware than he was in 2004 when he said he couldn’t think of any mistakes he’d made. http://www.youtube .com/watch?v=haQzdW7hg4A

    • http://twitter.com/WaveFoundation WaveFoundation

      No, we don’t need to see any more Bush Bashing, it is too damn late. He should’ve been indicted for war crimes, the evidence was clearly there, everyone was terrified of their “careers” It is OVER, the baby has cried,fat lady has sung,gong struck,door shut,etc.

  • HalPhillipWalker

    I agree with you 100%, W. was the “decider”, he should get the blame.

    I’m not sure why some liberals don’t see it that way. Maybe they think Bush was more buffoon than butcher. I never saw him as dumb, but he did come across as willfully ignorant.

    Could you maybe post names of some of these “liberals” who are to soft on him? Thanks.

  • http://sonic.net/~ckelly/Seekay/ Repack Rider

    If you’re talking about “liberals,” you’re not talking about me. When did I ever express anything but disgust for the immature moron who allowed terrorists to strike our country and who wasted 100,000+ lives in pursuit of WMDs that thinking people knew did not exist?

    • Libtard

      Hey Fudgy. Shouldn’t you be fixing a bike jack arse?

      • http://sonic.net/~ckelly/Seekay/mtbwelcome.htm RepackRider

        I have a book deal that included a $10,000 advance, for my personal mountain bike story. Would anyone pay YOU –in advance– to write anything?

        • Libtard

          I wouldn’t pay half a penny for some loser that claims he makes bikes and fought for MY great country. You aren’t fooling anyone Fudgy. You are a loser that rides mountain bikes. Your book is worthless just like you. Still pounding are you?