What is Pat Robertson Smoking?

Marijuana advocate Pat Robertson believes we should not pursue peace in the Middle East for fear of incurring "The wrath of Almighty God". Can we have some of what he's smoking please?
Marijuana advocate Pat Robertson believes we should not pursue peace in the Middle East for fear of incurring "The wrath of Almighty God". Can we have some of what he's smoking please?
pat robertson

Pat Robertson: Smoking the good stuff

The Arabic word for God is 'Allah'. In Aramaic (the language Jesus Christ most likely spoke) word for God is 'Allaha'. In Hebrew, the word is 'Eloah' (singular of 'Elohim').

Anyone not dogmatically devoted to a particular religious doctrine should be able to see that the three major religions originating in the Middle East have an awful lot in common. Both Islam and Christianity agree that Jesus was a divine prophet, born of a virgin and revealed God's word. Both believe in one omnipotent God and both believe in heaven and hell. Hebrew, Aramaic and Arabic are all Semitic languages with the same root, and words used to describe the divine are almost identical.

The French word for coffee is café. It doesn't take too much brain power to figure out they have the same root and are describing the same thing. But in the world of religious fundamentalism, as soon as someone uses a slightly different sounding word, it automatically means something completely different. 'Allah' and 'Allaha' become two distinct entities, and followers of each must fight to prove their respective God's superiority.

Which brings us to Christian tribalist Pat Robertson and his incessant war on Islam.

The marijuana advocate and End-Times Evangelist believes the United States should not pursue peace in the Middle East, because giving concessions to Palestinians will incur "The wrath of Almighty God to fall on this nation". Speaking about John Kerry's visit to Israel, the 700 club host stated that:

I think this is headed for disaster for the United States. God says, they divided my land, there is something about dividing God’s land, he said this is my land, I gave it to Abraham and his descendants and I don’t want it taken away from them and Jerusalem is the eternal capital of Israel. For the United States to get into a deal where they’re trying to split Jerusalem and take it away from the Israelis and split up their capital, huge mistake. You are asking for the wrath of Almighty God to fall on this nation and when it falls it won’t be fun, it won’t be fun. We should do everything we can to restrain our leaders from this course of folly and it is and it is a course of folly and it will result in terrible suffering for people in the United States.

As RightWingWatch notes, Robertson has a history of linking international relations to acts of divinity:

Previously, Robertson asserted that Ariel Sharon’s debilitating stroke and the assassination of Yitzhak Rabin were signs of divine punishment for their attempts to put together a peace deal.

It is unclear where Robertson stands on the 330,000 Palestinian Christians living in the West Bank, Gaza and Israel, but one thing is for sure - if anyone gets in the way of the Israel's role in the coming Armageddon (as predicted by the esteemed futurists in the Book of Revelation), they must be forsaken. And according to Robertson, that pretty much means anyone of Arab descent.

Robertson's fear of Allah - a sky being locked in battle with his own bearded super deity in the clouds, seems to have tipped him over the edge. Kerry's dangerous proposal to ease tensions in the area and possibly extend more legal rights to people with dark skin and funny names in the land they were born in is, according to Robertson, a direct affront to the Christian God and must be stopped at all costs.  Writes Robertson of the pre-battle:

If God's chosen people turn over to Allah control of their most sacred sites-if they surrender to Muslim vandals the tombs of Rachel, of Joseph, of the Patriarchs, of the ancient prophets-if they believe their claim to the Holy Land comes only from Lord Balfour of England and the ever fickle United Nations rather than the promises of Almighty God-then in that event, Islam will have won the battle.

You've got to give it to him in terms of sheer imagination and willingness to ignore reality. It takes a special person to confidently and publicly espouse beliefs so ludicrous that a well schooled 9 year old would laugh at them. There's probably no point trying to make Robertson see nuance given he has built his career peddling childish fantasy theories, but liberals should dismiss him completely. We don't know whether Robertson does actually smoke the green stuff, but if he is, it might be worth finding out where he gets it.

It must be pretty potent.