Top 10 Margaret Thatcher Quotes

Sure, Thatcher ripped up the welfare state, destroyed unions, consigned millions to poverty, sparked an enormous exacerbation of inequality, subjected Britain to two devastating recessions, was responsible for the gigantic inflation of the housing market and generally left the country's social fabric in tatters, but boy, could she deliver a good one liner.
Sure, Thatcher ripped up the welfare state, destroyed unions, consigned millions to poverty, sparked an enormous exacerbation of inequality, subjected Britain to two devastating recessions, was responsible for the gigantic inflation of the housing market and generally left the country's social fabric in tatters, but boy, could she deliver a good one liner.

Say what you will about Margaret Thatcher, she was certainly a powerful character with a great deal of charisma. Sure, she ripped up the welfare state, destroyed unions, consigned millions to poverty, sparked an enormous exacerbation of inequality, subjected Britain to two devastating recessions, was responsible for the gigantic inflation of the housing market and generally left the country's social fabric in tatters (proof of this can be found at the Office for National Statistics), but boy, could she deliver a good one-liner.

Here are 10 of the best:

1. “In politics, If you want anything said, ask a man. If you want anything done, ask a woman.”

2. “To those waiting with bated breath for that favorite media catchphrase, the U-turn, I have only this to say, ‘You turn if you want; the lady’s not for turning.”

3. “If you just set out to be liked, you will be prepared to compromise on anything at anytime, and would achieve nothing. ”

4. “Don't follow the crowd, let the crowd follow you.”

5. “Europe was created by history. America was created by philosophy.”

6. “I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left.”

7. “When I'm out of politics I'm going to run a business, it'll be called rent-a-spine”

8. “No-one would remember the Good Samaritan if he'd only had good intentions; he had money as well.”

9.  “Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't.”

10. “I am extraordinarily patient provided I get my own way in the end.”