Pro Boxer Speaks About Giving Dead Boston Bomb Suspect 'A Beating' in Sparring

Screen shot 2013-04-19 at 3.29.12 PM

Tamerlan Tsarnaev: Apparently a talented boxer

Apparently  FBI's Suspect No. 1 in the terror bombing of the Boston Marathon, Tamerlan Tsarnaev, was a former amateur boxing champion.  The 26-year-old man killed on Friday morning by police in Watertown, Mass. after a prolonged shoot out.

Professional boxer Edwin Rodriguez remembers Tsarnaev from a heated sparring session that had in late 2010/early 2011. Reports the New York Daily News:

Rodriguez when he first met Tamerlan, he was taken aback by the Russian's military-style boots and strange demeanor. Rodriguez was also bothered by Tamerlan's "cocky" and "arrogant" manner.

"He was really weird and was kind of downplaying (sparring with me), saying, 'Edwin is too light. He's not going to be good work for me but I'm going to come anyways.' He came down and he was odd-looking, kind of a weird kid," said Rodriguez. Tamerlan didn't prove to be much competition once the two men started sparring, however, and Rodriguez said he "beat him up pretty badly in two rounds.

"He never went down but he stopped about two or three times in the first two rounds. I hurt him with a body shot right at the beginning and he stopped. We were just sparring so I wasn't trying to knock him out. But I was trying to hurt him to the point to respect me because he thought I was too small," said Rodriguez. "I just can't believe that someone that was in the same amateur program that I was in, that had similar friends that I had, was capable of doing something like (Monday's bombing). It's shocking."