Rand Paul's Filibuster Ends After 13 Hours

rand_paul_filibuster2

The Daily Banter Headline Grab from TPM:

Libertarian Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY)'s filibuster of the nomination of John Brennan as director of the Central Intelligence Agency ended after nearly 13 hours on Thursday morning after a contentious debate on civil liberties, namely whether the Obama administration could employ drone strikes on American soil.

"I've discovered there are some limits to filibustering, and I'm going to have to take care of one of those in a few minutes," Paul said to laughter, before yielding the floor at 12:39am ET on Thursday.

Paul began his speech at about 11:37am ET, demanding an answer from the White House if it deemed permissible under any circumstances to order drone strikes within the United States.

“I will speak as long as it takes, until the alarm is sounded from coast to coast that our Constitution is important, that your rights to trial by jury are precious, that no American should be killed by a drone on American soil without first being charged with a crime, without first being found to be guilty by a court," he said in his opening remarks.

Senate Majority Whip Dick Durbin (D-IL), one of two Democrats who joined in on the discussion, officially filed cloture on the nomination moments after Paul yielded the floor. While Paul said he intends to continue debate, a Senate aide told TPM that Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV) hopes to reach an agreement with Republicans on a final vote on Thursday. Brennan's nomination is expected to pass by a comfortable margin.