Note to Homophobic Tough Guys: MMA Fighter Who Could Kick Your Ass Comes Out in Favor of Gay Marriage

Screen shot 2013-03-11 at 2.39.53 PM

rashad-evans

Homophobic men around the world take note: Someone much, much tougher than you thinks gay marriage is ok.

In a powerful statement to OutSports.com, UFC light heavyweight Rashad Evans outlined his reasoning for getting behind the fight to get the U.S. Supreme Court to overturn bans on same-sex marriage throughout the country:

"I've never been a homophobe, never understood what that is all about. I knew some people who were gay and never cared about their sexuality. But at the same time, I didn't fully understand the issues around gay people until my friend BA started telling me about his full public support for gay marriage. We talked about the issue and I decided its not enough to not be against a minority, if you want things to go better for them you have to speak up with them.

“I'm a UFC fighter, a macho-type sport. I am a heterosexual guy in a tough macho sport, which is exactly the reason I feel a duty to say I support gay marriage and gay rights.

“I have nothing to gain personally from supporting this issue, and that's the point. Society as a whole is better when there is equality, and I want to live in a country where everyone has the same rights because we all benefit from that.

“What people overlook is that is isn't a sex issue, its a love issue. There's no justifiable reason for trying to get in the way of two people who love each other.

“I have kids. I don't want them growing up in a society where they, or their friends, could be second class citizens based on which person they fall in love with or who they want to be happy with.”

Evans and other macho sportsmen like Floyd Mayweather (who also came out in favor of gay marriage) are valuable allies in the gay rights movement because they are idolized by macho guys who more often than not see homosexuality as being weak or 'feminine'.

And if you don't think Rashad could kick your ass, just watch the following highlight: