If You Like Meat, Don't Watch This

Screen shot 2013-03-14 at 9.32.03 AM

Jason Kottke posted this eery clip on food production from the film Samsara. Kottke calls depiction of the chicken picking machine 'one of the most dystopian things I've ever seen':

To me, the transition from mass food production to overweight Americans stuffing themselves with fast food is the most powerful part of the clip. 'Samsara' refers to the concept of "continuous flow" in life in religions like Hinduism, Buddhism and Taoism. This "continuous flow" has no agenda, and can be applied to every aspect of life whether positive or negative. Director Ron Fricke is clearly making a point about the cycle of mass food production being no different.

Sadly, it's one that causes great destruction to our natural environment, and ourselves.