The Fake Coca Cola Ad Everyone is Talking About

In the fake ‘Honest Coca Cola’ ad doing the rounds on the internet, the narrator goes through a litany of diseases the 125 year old drink can cause (teeth rotting, obesity, heart disease etc etc). The ad concludes:  “If you choose to live a healthy lifestyle, then you should not be drinking any of our products”.

I get it. If you drink a lot of soft drinks, you’ll get fat, and possibly very sick. Obesity causes death and costs a lot of money to treat. The thing is, I really like Coca Cola, and as much as I understand there is is a serious obesity epidemic, I’m not sure how comfortable I would be with the soft drink disappearing from supermarket shelves. The ad is important – it raises awareness about the dangers of consuming products with no nutritional value that consist almost entirely of high fructose corn syrup. But telling everyone that “The solution is simple: Don’t drink Coke” is, well, pretty simplistic. I’m able to stick to roughly one can of Coke a week and I’m generally pretty healthy. I really don’t see why I should have to stop drinking something I really like because lots of other people are incapable of doing things in moderation (same applies to any other ‘dangerous’ product – alcohol, cigarettes, junk food etc etc). I don’t advocate the massive exposure these products get through multi million dollar ad campaigns, and they should definitely be kept out of schools. But an outright ban would be just as bad, punishing people who enjoy a cold glass of Coke every once in a while.

Is there a solution to this? Thoughts?

Reporter Ken Silverstein Confirms What Critics Have Said About 'The Intercept' From the Beginning

Reporter Ken Silverstein Confirms What Critics Have Said About 'The Intercept' From the Beginning

From the beginning, several of us here at The Daily Banter have questioned not only the editorial apRead more...
Somebody Should've Knocked Bill O'Reilly on His Ass Years Ago

Somebody Should've Knocked Bill O'Reilly on His Ass Years Ago

Quite a while back I was the producer on a show, the anchor of which was a powerhouse in the businesRead more...
MEMBERS ONLY: The Daily Banter NSFW Video Mail Bag: Racism and Geckos

MEMBERS ONLY: The Daily Banter NSFW Video Mail Bag: Racism and Geckos

On this week's edition of the NSFW Video Mail Bag, Ben, Chez and Bob discuss Brittney Cooper, the OsRead more...
  • Stewart Pepper

    How do you know it’s a fake ad?