The Fake Coca Cola Ad Everyone is Talking About

In the fake ‘Honest Coca Cola’ ad doing the rounds on the internet, the narrator goes through a litany of diseases the 125 year old drink can cause (teeth rotting, obesity, heart disease etc etc). The ad concludes:  “If you choose to live a healthy lifestyle, then you should not be drinking any of our products”.

I get it. If you drink a lot of soft drinks, you’ll get fat, and possibly very sick. Obesity causes death and costs a lot of money to treat. The thing is, I really like Coca Cola, and as much as I understand there is is a serious obesity epidemic, I’m not sure how comfortable I would be with the soft drink disappearing from supermarket shelves. The ad is important – it raises awareness about the dangers of consuming products with no nutritional value that consist almost entirely of high fructose corn syrup. But telling everyone that “The solution is simple: Don’t drink Coke” is, well, pretty simplistic. I’m able to stick to roughly one can of Coke a week and I’m generally pretty healthy. I really don’t see why I should have to stop drinking something I really like because lots of other people are incapable of doing things in moderation (same applies to any other ‘dangerous’ product – alcohol, cigarettes, junk food etc etc). I don’t advocate the massive exposure these products get through multi million dollar ad campaigns, and they should definitely be kept out of schools. But an outright ban would be just as bad, punishing people who enjoy a cold glass of Coke every once in a while.

Is there a solution to this? Thoughts?

(Visited 7 times, 1 visits today)

More on the Banter:

Fox and Friends: Obama's Plan for Free College is a Terrible Idea Because College Sucks

Fox and Friends: Obama's Plan for Free College is a Terrible Idea Because College Sucks

This is exactly the same incomprehensible flanking maneuver used by Erick Erickson when we tweeted tRead more...
Good Christian Sarah Palin Poses With 'Fuc_ You Michael Moore' Crosshairs Sign

Good Christian Sarah Palin Poses With 'Fuc_ You Michael Moore' Crosshairs Sign

Posing with a fanboi at the SHOT show in Las Vegas, Sarah Palin apparently wants liberal filmmaker MRead more...
White House Spokesman Zings Tom Brady Over #Deflategate Press Conference

White House Spokesman Zings Tom Brady Over #Deflategate Press Conference

White House Press Secretary Josh Earnest observed that, as a press spokesman, Tom Brady is a pretty Read more...
Let's Not Forget That Ally King Abdullah Was a Very Bad Person

Let's Not Forget That Ally King Abdullah Was a Very Bad Person

Even though he was an ally of the U.S., Saudi Arabia's late King Abdullah was also a bastard.Read more...
Ignorant Anti-Vaxxers Brought Measles To Disneyland (and the Rest of Southern California)

Ignorant Anti-Vaxxers Brought Measles To Disneyland (and the Rest of Southern California)

It's the year 2015 and Southern California still doesn't qualify as the Third World, regardless of wRead more...
  • Stewart Pepper

    How do you know it’s a fake ad?