Satisfied? White House Releases Skeet Shooting Photo

obama_skeet

The Daily Banter Headline Grab. From AP:

In this photo released by the White House, President Barack Obama shoots clay targets on the range at Camp David, Md., Saturday, Aug. 4, 2012. The White House released a photo of Obama firing a gun, two days before he heads to Minnesota to discuss gun control. In a recent interview with The New Republic magazine, Obama said yes when asked if he has ever fired a gun. He said “we do skeet shooting all the time,” except for his daughters, at Camp David. (AP Photo/The White House, Pete Souza)

Enhanced by Zemanta

Like Us On Facebook!

More on the Banter:

  • Andrew Sharp

    The people that think this is an actual issue, will never be satisfied by anything the White House releases.

  • Christopher Foxx

    I really don’t know why Obama bothers. He’s supposedly a very bright man and a strategic thinker. How has he not yet figured out that no matter whet he does he’s not going to get any kind of support from and will never be liked by those who he’s pandering to. Those who he originally made the “sure, I shoot all the time” comment for and released that photo to appease.

    He should talk to the reasonable, rational people in the US and point out how ridiculous those folks are. He shouldn’t pander to them. There is utterly no point.

    • Dennis

      You’re dead wrong just exactly who it is he’s pandering to, Christopher. He’s trying to be cool, saying ‘yeah, we shoot skeet all the time’, when everybody knows that’s not true. He’s trying to be somebody he’s not, a reasonable guy about gun issues who loves to partake in the sport and wants everyone to know he’s a gun guy. too, when that’s not what the gun debate is all about. He’s pandering to guys like you who will think he’s a guy who does stuff like this regularly, and who will believe it when you see a stupid photo like this. The fact he and his advisors brought this out only proves what thin skin the guy has. He couldn’t come out and say he misspoke, that he doesn’t shoot skeet all the time, but has on occasion; no, he has to provide a photo and then immediately start the process of calling anyone who doubted him that he does shoot ‘all the time’ as ‘skeet-truthers’. The guy is a fraud that way. Just like when he told people that his teammates used to call him ‘Barry O’bomber’, when that wasn’t true. He wants you to believe the myths about him. And you’re more than willing to comply. You’re who he’s pandering to.

      • Christopher Foxx

        You’re way off base, Dennis, in your characterization of what I said or what I think about Obama as a result of this photo.

        But, then, that’s what we’ve come to expect from your side. Make up an image that’s not true, and then complain about that thing that never was.

    • Treading_Water

      I don’t believe that President Obama thinks that he’s going to change any minds on the right. Remember, conservatives pride themselves on not evolving or embracing new ideas. Instead, I think that he’s just putting this stuff out there to allow the right wing to once again show their ass. Everytime he does anything, the right wing conspiracy fringe (what we call their base) goes batshit and shows their ass, and the moderate middle of the country notices. He’s just giving the Republicans enough rope…

      • Christopher Foxx

        Instead, I think that he’s just putting this stuff out there to allow the right wing to once again show their ass.

        “I’m releasing this photo ironically. Not to counter the folks who don’t believe me but to show how ridiculous they are.” ????

        No, makes no sense and I don’t buy it. This was Obama trying to answer his critics. But these critics won’t be satisfied no matter what he does. So it was a waste of time that, rather than putting anything to rest, just gives the crazies more fodder to point at and build a conspiracy theory from.

        I maintain it would be far better for the country, and a much better use of Obama’s time, to ignore/marginalize these people instead of attempting to curry favor with them.

  • Treading_Water

    This won’t change a single mind. I can already hear the fox talkers complaining that he is shooting too close to the ground, so obvious staged photo. Or, they will say that this is a photoshop, or a recent photo taken to quell the skeetgate rumors. Why believe photographic evidence when your gut tells you there’s a big problem in the White House?

    • dbtheonly

      Indeed Treading. The RWMO’s vested interest is in not being satisfied.

      For myself, I think the photo has cropped out the Mitt Romney cardboard stand-up the President was shooting at.

      • Dennis

        I have no idea why you would write something like that or even think it was humorous. You’ll say ‘lighten up, it was only meant in jest’, but seriously, db, WTF are you thinking? If someone said that on a conservative site and Oliver or Ben Cohen had posted it here to mock it, you’d be the first guy to join in on the festivities. Ok to joke about shooting Republicans, but when a Republican does it, it’s a different matter entirely, am I right? “False equivalence”, right there, too, huh?

        • dbtheonly

          Dennis, Old Man, sometimes you worry me.

          “Mitt Romney cardboard stand-up”. CARDBOARD STAND UP.

          Not okay to shoot Republicans. No one was hurt making this joke.

          Really though. You should pay attention to what people say, not what you expect them to say.

          • Recoloniser

            Well, you see, the problem is: Romney IS a cardboard stand-up.

          • Christopher Foxx

            If Dennis had to deal with what people actually said or did, then he’d lose his whole schtick.

          • Dennis

            You always want it both ways, db. You were quite vociferous about Sarah Palin’s hate map being the inspiration for Jared Loughner, as were most other O-bots here. Now it’s ok to joke about Obama shooting an image of a Republican because you think that’s just light-hearted joviality. Maybe that’s all it is, but your hypocrisy is astonishing.

          • Dennis

            And you rarely take any responsibility for your words, but you’re very quick to catch other people’s words at what you think the implications are without giving any benefit of the doubt to them.

          • Christopher Foxx

            Dennis: And you rarely take any responsibility for your words,

            On the contrary. I always take responsibility for my words. Not, for example, I always sign them with my full name.

            What I don’t do, Dennis, is ignore when you make stuff up. And that’s really what bothers you. Not that I don’t stand by what I say, but that I point out when you can’t.